56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 46.43%
  • No

30 53.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Roland's choice *HARD spoilers*

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    As I ponder all of this, I think that most of Roland's selfish decisions are based on self preservation, more than anything else. Going back for Jake would have threatened his own existance. Why chance that for a boy? Even one he loved.
    It seems to me that in this loop he is still at that point more obsessed with the Tower and having that make his choices than love for Jake. Its not high morality of saving the universe but just that he wants to climb to the top of the Tower. Then at the end of the series he has changed to the point where he is willing to sacrifice his life and his quest for Jake, thats a big step for him and I'm betting his next loop will be a lot different, different choices because he is different.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

For possibly the first time ever, I agree with every single word you wrote above CK

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    For possibly the first time ever, I agree with every single word you wrote above CK
    Oh, well this is the first time you've been completely sensible then!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Along the Path of the Beam DocPain is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I'm personally of the opinion that this is what Roland has to do to truly break the cycle.

**SPOILER**
    I agree. There are obviously several things that he needs to do on that road. One of which is to get the horn, the other one is to keep Jake alive. What other ones have we observed from the stories?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps finding a way to not murder the entire town of Tull?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So....that's a bad thing?

In the case of Tull, it was only a good thing.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

He had no choice whatsoever in Tull. Kill or be killed.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    It is choice.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    It is choice.
    oh...touche

It is choice.
    Yes, very clever. My point was and remains that if we are compiling a list of things Roland could have chosen otherwise and still pursued the Tower, the depopulation of Tull doesn't make the list. Roland could conceivably have not dropped Jake and kept going, albeit not in direct pursuit of Walter. Roland could have held onto his horn a bit tighter or picked it up when it fell and kept going. If Roland had not emptied his guns in Tull, he'd be dead.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know what you mean... I have been thinking about that for years, and I am still not sure the choice of death in Tull is not supposed to be the only step the way to he Tower would take next time. I am not sure it is, either, but I am still very far from asserting the Tull situation as "no choice" automatically.

I see it as a grim but necessary choice. I'm not saying it doesn't and shouldn't haunt him, but I personally don't see what non-murderous options he had in that scenario.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I see it as a grim but necessary choice. I'm not saying it doesn't and shouldn't haunt him, but I personally don't see what non-murderous options he had in that scenario.
    Maybe if he'd done something different in whatever prior cycle or loop he'd have never gone to/through Tull at all.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Maybe if he'd done something different in whatever prior cycle or loop he'd have never gone to/through Tull at all.
    Certainly a possibility. I have no reason to believe the loops are similar [except for starting in the desert and ending at the Tower] so if you believe that each one effects the next it is possible Roland could have avoided Tull. Also possible it was Walter's idea to bring him there knowing what was likely to occur.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Certainly a possibility. I have no reason to believe the loops are similar [except for starting in the desert and ending at the Tower] so if you believe that each one effects the next it is possible Roland could have avoided Tull. Also possible it was Walter's idea to bring him there knowing what was likely to occur.
    Tull happened before the desert, so isn't it reasonable to assume that Tull is fixed? The loop only seems to occur from the time when Roland enters the desert.

Country
    Country Flag

the events before the desert are changed, too (he has the horn which I assume he picked at Jericho Hill)

the events before the desert are changed, too (he has the horn which I assume he picked at Jericho Hill)
    precisely.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

but how is that possible? are we maybe to assume the loop is getting shorter?

hmmm...that's an interesting thought. Lets say this time he saves Jake (he has the horn too) and the next go around he starts after the desert on the beach.--Jakes with him

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    but how is that possible? are we maybe to assume the loop is getting shorter?

hmmm...that's an interesting thought. Lets say this time he saves Jake (he has the horn too) and the next go around he starts after the desert on the beach.--Jakes with him
    we also don't know what elements, if any, are the same each time he loops. maybe it's not a series of do-overs where roland gets to do the opposite of what he did the last time. it's just as likely the only thing that remains the same is that he is chasing Walter.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, if we are going to assume anything can be different--I'm not sure even chasing Walter is a constant. However, if anything was, that would certainly be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Well, if we are going to assume anything can be different--I'm not sure even chasing Walter is a constant. However, if anything was, that would certainly be it.
    well given that walter in the revised version seems to know that roland is looping, it seems likely to me he is the constant starting point.

to me the loop goes...

phase 1 - chase walter
    phase 2 - ?
    phase 3 - breach Tower

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, time needn't be linear there. By necessity if time and space vary in Roland's world, if it is in constant flux than nothing besides him chasing Walter through the desert can be guaranteed or relied upon. Even still we can only be certain of him chasing Walter through this loop and the last. Circumstances through other loops could differ greatly. I would guess though that most likely he would always be chasing Walter.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: Knowing what Roland knew, would you have**SPOILERS**

Given the information available to you at the time, would you have dropped Jake?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast