Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: I'm confused (Spoilers)

Traveler Incognito is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Confused

Default I'm confused (Spoilers)

Hi,

I'm confused. I just started reading the third book in this series and in the summary of what had already happened (I also read this in the second book) it says that Marten is a much greater sorcerer than Walter. That's what confuses me. I thought Walter was the man in black and could show visions that would've left Marten as a drooling mess (that one at the end of the first book with the purple grass). So why does it say that Marten is a greater sorcerer?

But if it spoils too much of the rest of the story I'd rather not know.

Thanks in advance

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I think you're just going to have to read on and make your own decision about that.

Btw love the name!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Hi,
    I'm confused. I just started reading the third book in this series and in the summary of what had already happened (I also read this in the second book) it says that Marten is a much greater sorcerer than Walter. That's what confuses me. I thought Walter was the man in black and could show visions that would've left Marten as a drooling mess (that one at the end of the first book with the purple grass). So why does it say that Marten is a greater sorcerer?
    It's best not to take too much notice of the stuff written in the summaries as far as plot is concerned. Read them by all means, as they're interesting, but there are inaccuracies describing what has happened or what will happen. It's best to see them as a snapshot of Kings ideas at a particular time.

That description of Marten puzzled me a bit when I first read at the beginning of Drawing of the Three. I get the impression King forgot that bit of the Gunslinger when he wrote that.

Incidentally, that particular stuff Walter states to Roland concerning the vision was written in the original version of The Gunslinger. That was changed in the revised version.
    Spoiler:
    He states that the vision would have turned Steven's mind to jelly, not Marten's.

As for finding out the actual relationship between Marten and Walter... yes, carry on reading!

Actually that would have been made clear in the revised version of The Gunslinger too, but as books 2-4 were written with the original Gunslinger in mind, that created another minor contradiction...

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    t's best not to take too much notice of the stuff written in the summaries as far as plot is concerned. Read them by all means, as they're interesting, but there are inaccuracies describing what has happened or what will happen. It's best to see them as a snapshot of Kings ideas at a particular time.

This;

you will tie yourself in knots reading the intros, just go with the flow. i guarantee its a better read