Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holdorf , (Thomas) Art / Doubleday 1993 Reissues

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Holdorf , (Thomas) Art / Doubleday 1993 Reissues

Carrie, The Stand, The Shining, Night Shift, Pet Sematary and 'Salem's Lot were all reissued by DoubleDay in 1993 with DJ Art by Holdorf. What's the story behind these?

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My DJ Pricing on the 6 Issues I have is as follows:

Pet Sematary: $30.00
    'Salem's Lot: $32.50
    Carrie # 1: $25.00
    Carrie # 2: $29.95
    The Shining: $27.50
    Night Shift: $30.00
    The Stand: $30.00

WTF?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

This seems to me to be a "Collecting Question". It will be merged in the near future.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Per thegreattim:

"I didn't know the term for these books was Holdorf, but it's good to have a name, I was always just referring to them as the black and white DoubleDays. Anyway, all three of mine have prices

The Stand: $45
    Night Shift: $30
    Pet Sematary: $25"

So ... current talley:

Pet Sematary #1: $25.00
    Pet Sematary #2: $30.00
    'Salem's Lot: $32.50
    Carrie #1: $25.00
    Carrie #2: $29.95
    The Shining: $27.50
    Night Shift: $30.00
    The Stand #1: $30.00
    The Stand #2: $45.00

Country
    Country Flag

More interesting differences between my 2 Carries

The UPC on the $25.00 DJ is NOT prepriced
    The UPC on the $29.95 DJ is prepriced US $29.95 / $45.95 CAN and it contains the Triangle to indicate whether, if returned by the Book Dealer, it is Strippable or Not Strippable.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=344880

Given the the Triangle Symbol was not used until later than 1993 (I think), my guess is my copies are later print runs and perhaps they raised the price as well at that time.....

This is wearing me out.....

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm ... interesting. Do they have any normal first edition identifiers on the copyright page? Numberline, "FIRST EDITION"? Do they both have it, neither, only one of them?

You and me are gonna figure this out, lol

Country
    Country Flag

Both Copyright pages are IDENTICAL with the exception of the Numberline. The Numberline on Version # 2 (Preprice UPC and Triangle) indicates a later print edition.....

No indication as to "Edition"......

This is fuckin' confusing and I appreciate the parternship on this one. WE WILL FIGURE IT OUT!

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Like I mentioned in the other thread my copies vary in the number of the printings, up to and including a spread of four printing. I am assuming these are in sync with the number of printings of each book had since the original DoubleDay releases? Though a price difference of $15 between the two Stands seems a bit freaking excessive. Then again, I have thought that $45 was too much for any trade book, since I picked that one up and first noticed it. For what it's worth, I the other copy of the Holdorf The Stand that I sold, was a lower printing by one but in worse condition. I distinctly remember the jacket price being lower too, but not by much.

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome feedback! Sounds as if price discrepancies between like volumes are everywhere with these reprints!

$45.00 for a REPRINT is a bit excessive. No wonder my later copy was all the way down to $30.00! My guess is that they weren't selling as quickly as they would have liked!

CRAZY!

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is kinda an intriguing topic. Thanks for putting the price list together Shannon. Maybe we should add in the exact printing number for each of the prices?

My $25 PS = 14th
    My $45 Stand = 14th
    And I apparently don't have my copy of Night Shift in my database. Will have to check again when I get home.

Country
    Country Flag

$30 PS = 15th
    $30 Stand = 11th
    $27.50 Shining = 20th
    $30 Night Shift = 18th
    $32.50 'Salem's = 21st
    $25.00 Carrie = 3rd
    $29.95 Carrie = 7th

Gonna' need a Protractor and Financial Calculator to figure all of this out in the end.....a lot of different #'s!!!!

Banned Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Angry

There's no way that the Holdorf Pet Sematary went to 15 printings. Doubleday must be including ALL printings from the original '82 release.

Country
    Country Flag

I agree......

The Numberline on my Holdorf 'Salem's goes all the way up to 30!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thegreattim View Post
    I am assuming these are in sync with the number of printings of each book had since the original DoubleDay releases?.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    There's no way that the Holdorf Pet Sematary went to 15 printings. Doubleday must be including ALL printings from the original '82 release.
    Yeah, I agree. That's what I was trying to say, just less succinctly.

Banned Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Angry

I am assuming these are in sync with the number of printings of each book had since the original DoubleDay releases?.
    Yeah, I agree. That's what I was trying to say, just less succinctly.
    Actually I didn't even see where you said that. You're spot on of course.

Citizen of Gilead Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's normal practise here in the Netherlands. As long as the publisher is the same, mass-market paperbacks and others versions add up to the printing. (The difference between, editions/printings and only printings).

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Are we talking about this book?.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038..._ya_os_product

Because I bought one and the printed dj price is now up to $50. I remember when I bought them from Amazon a couple of years back I couldn't get a copy of Pet Sematary, whereas all the others are still in print today.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

THOMAS HOLDORF. Born. 1955...Died.1994.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Niels View Post
    That's normal practise here in the Netherlands. As long as the publisher is the same, mass-market paperbacks and others versions add up to the printing. (The difference between, editions/printings and only printings).
    That's really interesting. I think that these must just be hardcover printings. Unless I am grossly mistaken, the publishers in the US start the numberline, and hence the printing count over for new format editions. I have many a first printing paperback which I also had for some time previously in hardcover. Of course, a jacket rebranding as we see here never mattered. The text block remained the same.

Country
    Country Flag

As many of you know, I had the 6 Double Day Reissues listed FOR SALE on eBay for the last week or so......

I am pleased to announce that they have been SOLD to fellow TDT Member east-tennessee as of this afternoon! Thanks to those fellow members that were interested and my apologies for not being in a position to sell the Pet Sematary on its own. I really wanted to keep the set together in an effort to move all 6 books.

It's now up to Brian (east-tennessee) to solve the mystery of the multiple prices on the DJs when compared to the copies held by other members!

I gave up!

Shannon will figure it out. Since he isn't buying anymore, he's got time!!!!!!

AKC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Nah, I gave up also. lol

And I'm still buying, but only stuff I've been in talks to buy already. I have a good 75+ items on the horizon, lol. After THAT ... hopefully ... no more King items until my car is paid off. Only $4,000 more to go!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Found a Pet Sematary, Carrie, and 'Salem's Lot for $8.99 each. Yay me!

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonsMovies View Post
    Found a Pet Sematary, Carrie, and 'Salem's Lot for $8.99 each. Yay me!
    You are so lucky to find Pet Sematary doubleday reissue!!!!!! And for such a great price! Where did you buy your copy from? I am having lots of trouble find a Pet Sematary reissue! Most booksellers don't know what I am asking about and always try to sell me the edition with the cat on it! (Pet Sematary is the only reissue I don't have.)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Found it on eBay. Was skimming along, scanning the "ending first" and "newly added" lists (the first 200 anyway) like always and saw the cover. Opened the ad, saw it was a stock photo, figured I would ask the seller if his cover image looks like the one in the photo, he said yes, as well as his other two. So, tah dah. I hope it IS the same though, you never know, lol.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonsMovies View Post
    Found it on eBay. Was skimming along, scanning the "ending first" and "newly added" lists (the first 200 anyway) like always and saw the cover. Opened the ad, saw it was a stock photo, figured I would ask the seller if his cover image looks like the one in the photo, he said yes, as well as his other two. So, tah dah. I hope it IS the same though, you never know, lol.
    I gout burned once. The seller even said it was like the stock photo. I got the book and it was the cover with the cat on it. I got the book from a person who mostly sells antique records; I should have known better than to trust the seller.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast