Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Blaine the Train... what does he dream of?

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Default Blaine the Train... what does he dream of?

Does he dream of electric sheep?

Fuck Adumbros is on a distinguished road Adumbros's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding

very nice philip k dick reference a far too obscure author for his talents. i hate how so many of his stories have been loathesomely butchered by hollywood (albeit quite fond of the adaptation done by 'paycheck', but that remains the lone exception)

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I really appreciated the reference by Douglas Adams, but that doesn't answer the question:

What do you think Blaine dreams of?

My Mood
    Brooding

he's mechanical. i don't think he dreams.

if anything, his "hibernation" likely consists of discreet analysis of binary/linux/python/dionysius codes.

Along the Path of the Beam lordmerchant is on a distinguished road

patricia?
    Only equals speak the truth. Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web or regard.

My Mood
    Worried

I actually like that idea, LordMerchant

Adumbros: have you not seen the movie I Robot, or the show Star Trek the Next Generation? Data and Sunny both experienced "dreams".. it's one of the signs of being more than a toaster or a coke can. Because they are more than just machines.. they are "artificial intelligence".

My Mood
    Brooding

artificial intelligence my ass. they're nothing but OUR human knowledge (or assumption) stored on chip.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Data and the I, Robot movie are fiction. There's no real AI, but I can still certainly accept them on the terms of those stories. And moreso Asimov's original works, though I don't actually agree with all of his philosophy in a comprehensive sense. Those are particularly valid examples in regards to Blaine, because ST:TNG paid homage to the positronic brain, as TDT did. But there's no telling... he had some serious analog pathology. Probably the breakdown would have made what passed for dreams in what was left of his supposed mind stronger rather than weaker; there's nothing mechanistic about madness.

My Mood
    Worried

Perhaps he would simply disintegrate into the madness of nightmares.