Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Clive Barker

Traveler frekljr will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I just ordered a copy of "the scarlet gospels" today. To be honest I never read Clive Barker before. I just loved most of the movies based off his work, "Hellraiser", "Nightbreed", "Candyman" and "Book of blood". Do I need to read hellbound heart to enjoy this one?

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

If you have watched the first Hellraiser film that is the Hellbound Heart story. So if you know that you do not need to read it before The Scarlet Gospels.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I received an ARC through Goodreads. I'm currently halfway through it. Enjoying it. Focuses a lot on Harry so far, although the opening is all Pinhead.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    If you have watched the first Hellraiser film that is the Hellbound Heart story. So if you know that you do not need to read it before The Scarlet Gospels.
    I'd still read it because it's Clive Barker in his prime. It's also a very quick read at around 150 pages.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished reading The Scarlet Gospels and found it very disappointing.

I found nearly everything connected to the Harry D'Amour and group storyline to be poor. The characters were not developed at all and/or cliched stereotypes were used and there seemed to be constant one-line dialogue between these characters which was limited to swearing.

The Pinhead storyline/viewpoint was much more interesting. Really well written and some great concepts regading the "location" (avoiding spoliers) where much of the book is set.

I wonder how much better the book could have been if it had focused solely on the Pinhead viewpoint of the storyline?

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm with you, craigobau. I thought the book started strong with the magicians, Harry's back story, even his first encounter with Pinhead. After that, it quickly deteriorates, both the story and the writing. The crew of friends Harry assembles serves no function other than to deliver the most hackneyed, empty, unfunny dialogue imaginable. Pinhead gets no great lines. After the first third the book is a slog.

Gunslinger Apprentice bugen will become famous soon enough bugen's Avatar

I liked this book a great deal (4+ stars). You guys have mentioned the opening which was awesome, but there's also a fight towards the end that was one of the more spectacular battles I've read. There were a couple of lines of dialogue that 'clanged' for me but overall I was very happy with this book, and it's in no small part due to the crescendo of that fight. More important, and related to the fight, we finally get to see Pinhead's motivation, a lot deeper than just accumulating the currency of pain we might think of from the films. I was impacted by his drive laid bare like that - and it's one shared by many of us. It's not a perfect novel, but damn that was fun.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

bugensbooks.com

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bugen View Post
    I liked this book a great deal (4+ stars). You guys have mentioned the opening which was awesome, but there's also a fight towards the end that was one of the more spectacular battles I've read. There were a couple of lines of dialogue that 'clanged' for me but overall I was very happy with this book, and it's in no small part due to the crescendo of that fight. More important, and related to the fight, we finally get to see Pinhead's motivation, a lot deeper than just accumulating the currency of pain we might think of from the films. I was impacted by his drive laid bare like that - and it's one shared by many of us. It's not a perfect novel, but damn that was fun.
    This

That is almost EXACTLY how I felt about it myself bugen, very well said!

Gunslinger Apprentice bugen will become famous soon enough bugen's Avatar

Thanks Tommy. The book initially made me nervous because I laid out $250 for the Earthling limited based almost solely on the strength of his short stories (and Hellbound Heart and Cabal).

But yeah, I'm no longer nervous.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

bugensbooks.com

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No real spoilers but I'm kind of torn. On one hand it was incredibly epic (it would need a big budget to do a film adaptation justice) and another it seemed kind of brief. There was apparently a much longer novel that Barker ended up whittling down. But maybe it's for the best, some of Barker's stuff tends to be a bit dense and hard to get through at times for me at least.

Also even as a Barker fan D'Amour doesn't do much for me. I even rewatched 'Lord of Illusions' but he's still kind of meh. I think I would have had more of a fangasm if it was the Cenobites vs the Nightbreed.

Spoilers

Spoiler:
    I did like the characterization of the Devil though.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I was hoping for estimates on the following Barker books:

all signed and first editions...

The Great and Secret Show

Books of Blood (the Stealth edition)

Abarat: Days of Magic Nights of War (not the limited edition, but signed edition
    of the trade

Abarat (same as above) but the Trice numbered limited

Thief of Always

Weave World (the last two the mass market edition, but signed)

TIA

J

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I was hoping for estimates on the following Barker books:

all signed and first editions...

The Great and Secret Show

Books of Blood (the Stealth edition)

Abarat: Days of Magic Nights of War (not the limited edition, but signed edition
    of the trade

Abarat (same as above) but the Trice numbered limited

Thief of Always

Weave World (the last two the mass market edition, but signed)

TIA

J
    Great and Secret Show, signed - $25 for American edition - $60 for UK edition
    Books of Blood Stealth, signed - the limited edition consistently goes for $180, so I'd say $75-$90
    Abarat Days of Magic Nights of War, signed - this one is all over the price board, but $50 is a good middle number
    Abarat Days of Magic, Nights of War, Trice limited edition - $175-$200
    Thief of Always, signed - $25
    Weaveworld, signed - $25 for the American edition - $75 for the UK edition

Since only one was listed as a limited, I assumed all the others were 1st signed trade HC editions. I might be interested in the Trice edition at the right price?

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Tonight, Again at Subterranean Press:

http://subterraneanpress.com/store/p.../tonight_again
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post

Got the email while commuting to the office and the lettered edition was sold out by the time I got to my desk :/
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post

Got the email while commuting to the office and the lettered edition was sold out by the time I got to my desk :/
    I posted this yesterday before the announcement and the lettered was available
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hi guys,
    I'm wondering if anyone here can shed light on the Earthling 25th Anniversary publication of Weave world (2012). Specifically, what is the difference between the lettered and numbered editions (other than the price!)? Apparently there were apparently 15 lettered copies produced, of which Barker kept 5. From the Earthling website, the only difference I could tell between the two editions is that the lettered traycase is "handmade using the finest materials" but, other than that, the editions read the same. Does anyone own or seen any editions, sounds like they're both virtually identical.

Cheers

Along the Path of the Beam Wicked will become famous soon enough Wicked's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    My husband is more of a Barker fan than a King fan... he just got a copy of The Thief of Always hardcover first edition first printing. He's worked with Clive in the past, but never had anything autographed. He'll be seeing him again in a few months and wants to have that book signed.

He's still looking for a first edition first printing of Imajica. If anyone has one available, let me know.
    I know this is an older post.. I simply wanted to state that I love, love, love 'The Thief of Always'. So many people I've known have never heard of this book. I made it a must read for my children (they loved it, and now grown, still do), and I give it to other children to enjoy when I have occasion to give a gift.

I'm thrilled to have found this community here.
    “Beyond the reach of human rage..A drop of hell, a touch of strange ...” ― Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Along the Path of the Beam Wicked will become famous soon enough Wicked's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post
    yes and no - even if i never analysed that feeling.

Its more, that i like the moment when you realize that you got something, that is sold out, and it was difficult to get it , and you had to be fast, and there in the correct time frame.
    That feels great - its just an emotional collectors thing, but it does.

When you then get the email 2 days later that they just made 200 more and you can have as much as you want,
    you feel betrayed because they took this feeling from you.

sounds strange ? maybe ... but i like collecting books, and i like that little success
    So, basically....

Spoiler:

Gotta be fresh from the fight!! LOL

The spoiler.

It was much win.

EPIC SIZED EVEN.
    “Beyond the reach of human rage..A drop of hell, a touch of strange ...” ― Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm wondering if anyone here can shed light on the Earthling 25th Anniversary publication of Weave world (2012). Specifically, what is the difference between the lettered and numbered editions (other than the price!)? Apparently there were apparently 15 lettered copies produced, of which Barker kept 5. From the Earthling website, the only difference I could tell between the two editions is that the lettered traycase is "handmade using the finest materials" but, other than that, the editions read the same. Does anyone own or seen any editions, sounds like they're both virtually identical.

Cheers
    peripheral,
    First of all welcome to the site. Several months ago this heading "Other authors you collect" was moved from Calvin's Corner (where it belongs and had resided for years) to this current location. As a result I forget about it for weeks (now months) at a time. As far as I know the lettered edition of Weaveworld has not been published. I ordered a copy from Earthling the day it was announced, got a confirmatory e-mail and have heard nothing further from Paul about it. I recall that there has been a year or two wait for some Earthling lettered titles in the past but this was announced in 2012. I'll fire off an e-mail to Paul and see what is up with it.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Hi guys,

Cheers
    peripheral,
    First of all welcome to the site. Several months ago this heading "Other authors you collect" was moved from Calvin's Corner (where it belongs and had resided for years) to this current location. As a result I forget about it for weeks (now months) at a time. As far as I know the lettered edition of Weaveworld has not been published. I ordered a copy from Earthling the day it was announced, got a confirmatory e-mail and have heard nothing further from Paul about it. I recall that there has been a year or two wait for some Earthling lettered titles in the past but this was announced in 2012. I'll fire off an e-mail to Paul and see what is up with it.

Thanks Carlosdetweiler for your kind words and response,
    I've since had an email from Paul Miller from Earthling who has shed some light. here it is:

"The main difference for the lettered apart from its scarcity will be the quality of the binding -- the book will be hand sewn and the traycase will be handmade by my bookbinder in Vermont, using the finest materials. (The book isn't yet in production yet -- I haven't finalized materials etc.) See SONG OF KALI for an example -- the lettered is shown above the numbered -- both are nice, but the lettered is ridiculous (if I do say so myself). Please let me know your interest in a lettered and I can add you to a wait list.

Best,
    Paul"

So, you're right... Not in production yet, but it sounds lie it's going to be a beauty.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Hi guys,

Cheers
    peripheral,

Thanks Carlosdetweiler for your kind words and response,
    I've since had an email from Paul Miller from Earthling who has shed some light. here it is:

"The main difference for the lettered apart from its scarcity will be the quality of the binding -- the book will be hand sewn and the traycase will be handmade by my bookbinder in Vermont, using the finest materials. (The book isn't yet in production yet -- I haven't finalized materials etc.) See SONG OF KALI for an example -- the lettered is shown above the numbered -- both are nice, but the lettered is ridiculous (if I do say so myself). Please let me know your interest in a lettered and I can add you to a wait list.

Best,
    Paul"

So, you're right... Not in production yet, but it sounds lie it's going to be a beauty.
    I have the lettered of The Song of Kali and it is one of the most beautiful books in my collection. If you really like Barker and, in particular, like Weaveworld, then you should consider getting on the list. It is expensive but should be well worth it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Booknutt is on a distinguished road Booknutt's Avatar

Anybody interested in ARCs of the second two Abarat books? Wanting to sell them. Both are unread and I believe great condition. I'll even throw in a 1st of the first book and a promo Abarat map. Pm me with offers if interested.

I also have a ARC of Coldheart Canyon I'm looking to get rid of.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gauntlet Press started accepting pre-orders for a limited edition of The Great and Secret Show

http://www.gauntletpress.com/product...d-secret-show/
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

No tengo dinero.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast