Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: 1961 Stephen King letter to a magazine

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default 1961 Stephen King letter to a magazine

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/04...-obituary.html

The following submission letter, written by an aspiring author aged just 14, arrived at the offices of Spacemen Magazine in 1961 and was accompanied by a copy of 'The Killer,' the polite youngster's latest short story. Unfortunately for him the magazine's editor — Forrest Ackerman — didn't deem the tale worthy of inclusion at that point, and it would be another 33 years before he changed his mind and decided to publish it in issue #202 of another of his magazines: Famous Monsters of Filmland.

By that time however, the story's author, Stephen King, was already rather successful.

Transcript follows. Image kindly supplied by C. Lawrence.

Dear Editor,

I am 14 years of age, and have been writing as far back as I can remember, and submitting manuscripts for the last couple of years. I subscribe to your magizine, and my favorite feature is the Obituary department, although "O. Henry's Comet," for which this story is intended, runs a close second.,

Thanks very much for reading my story. I hope you see your way clear to put it in "O. Henry's Comet."

Sincerely,

(Signed, 'Stephen King')

Stephen King
    Rt #1, Pownal
    Maine

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I think carlosdetweiller has this letter. There is a reproduction of it in Bev Vincent's "The Stephen King Illustrated Companion".

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

I have the letter in its first appearance in a catalogue for Forrest J. Ackerman memoribilia (spelled right?)

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It's indeed in Bob's collection and it was used for Bev's book.