Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: harrison ryan's Thrifty Acquisitions

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats, Harrison. The Insomnia gift edition is one of the classier looking King books in my opinion.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

HOPE IT DIDN'T KEEP YOU UP ALL NIGHT.
    Spoiler:
    NO NO'T THIS IT

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alan G View Post
    Congrats, Harrison. The Insomnia gift edition is one of the classier looking King books in my opinion.
    It most certainly is!!! A great production IMO!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan G View Post
    It most certainly is!!! A great production IMO!!!
    Thanks, guys. I'm 2/3rds of the way through reading it. If I had to complain at all about it, I would say I wish Hale had done a few more illustrations and I wish they'd had a better proofreader. There are some minor omissions and spelling mistakes that are especially frequent around one spot, as well as an odd tendency to hyphenate words that don't need it, as if they were working from a file that had some words broken up due to line endings that were then re-juggled for this edition so that the breaks don't fall in the same place anymore, leaving some unnecessarily hyphenated words mid-sentence. Does that make any sense? That's my theory, anyway. Relatively minor complaints.

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Typos usually really annoy me. There are a LOT of them in Nancy A. Collins's books for some reason. On the other hand, I'm 3/4 of the way through 11-22-63 and I've only encountered two typos, and they were so minor I almost missed them.

As I recall, I did not like INSOMNIA very much, although memory fails me as to why.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry, your memory was wrong. You loved Insomnia.

I hate typos. I feel like I should circle all the mistakes and turn it back in for corrections.

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I hate typos. I feel like I should circle all the mistakes and turn it back in for corrections.
    Ha ha, me too!

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice additions Harrison,
    I agree both (DT & Insomnia) are nicely done.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by harrison ryan View Post
    And a couple of King items:

I already have a copy of The Shining movie tie-in paperback (16th prntg), so I guess I'm just hoarding them at this point. I recently got a turntable/cd/cassette player, so I snagged the Graveyard Shift audiobook (still sealed!) for the price of a vending machine gumball.
    Nice Collection! Congrats.

It wouldn't surprise me if your turntable/CD/Cassette player wasn't worth more than most of my collection! It may be time to start with collecting vinyl along with books!
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolso View Post
    Nice Collection! Congrats.

It wouldn't surprise me if your turntable/CD/Cassette player wasn't worth more than most of my collection! It may be time to start with collecting vinyl along with books!
    The turntable is not worth much, but it makes a great surface to set up and photo books (and so far I'm resisting the vinyl collecting, it's just not my thing).

Demon of the Prim Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome collection!
    WANTED:

Dust jacket for The Shining SNL.

Dust jacket for 25th Anniversary edition of IT, signed, numbered, tray-cased copy.

Signed numbered limited edition of Josh Malerman's Goblin, published by Earthling Publications.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Got this:

A little wrinkled but worth the price.

Also got another full set of the Gunslinger F&SF's minus the first issue (which I included in the pic for the sake of completion):

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

And I might as well show off my sweet Dolso case for the S/L of Joyland while I'm at it.

Front:

And back:

I was really happy with the way the detail of the drawings held up when translated through the engraver.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

The quality of my photography has also drastically improved since I invested in one of these a few weeks ago:

I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice. Love the case.

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice adds Harrison - and it looks like your DT F&SF are maybe absent the mailing labels that mar many such sets?
    We all float down here!

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice camera.
    I picked up a t3i a few months ago. Still learning, but having fun with it.
    Mark Twain

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Penny View Post
    Nice adds Harrison - and it looks like your DT F&SF are maybe absent the mailing labels that mar many such sets?
    Difficult to tell from that photo, my 2 that have labels have them exactly where each book is covered!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

That JOYLAND case is a true work of art.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Penny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Difficult to tell from that photo, my 2 that have labels have them exactly where each book is covered!
    A couple of them still have the labels. Can't put anything past you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Nice camera.
    What kind of lens(es) did you get? I bought just the 50d body, then picked up a 50mm f1.8 prime lens. Super-sharp, super-fast, and really cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    That JOYLAND case is a true work of art.
    Thank you! I prefer the art on the back, so that's the way I like to display it.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice, Harrison

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice camera.
    What kind of lens(es) did you get? I bought just the 50d body, then picked up a 50mm f1.8 prime lens. Super-sharp, super-fast, and really cheap!
    I bought it with the stock 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens.
    It doesn't get as shallow of a DOF as I would like at times, so the 50mm f1.4 prime has been tempting me. However, I keep telling myself that I need to learn more before I buy any additional lenses. Would love to get a macro lens at some point for sure.

I used my birthday money a few weeks ago to get a decent tripod and a cheap polarizing filter from Monoprice.com. The filter in particular has been helpful for book photos.
    Mark Twain

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice camera.
    I bought it with the stock 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens.
    It doesn't get as shallow of a DOF as I would like at times, so the 50mm f1.4 prime has been tempting me. However, I keep telling myself that I need to learn more before I buy any additional lenses. Would love to get a macro lens at some point for sure.

I used my birthday money a few weeks ago to get a decent tripod and a cheap polarizing filter from Monoprice.com. The filter in particular has been helpful for book photos.
    For DOF, the 50mm 1.8 is pretty dang good, nice bokeh and only a fraction of the cost of the 1.4. You might consider that. And if you want to get tricky, you can flip the lens over and use it as a macro. Arnie here will serve as an example of the shallow DOF:

I took this wide open at f1.8 at 1/1000.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice shot

The metal construction of the 1.4 is part of the appeal for me, but I've probably got a few months yet to decide.
    Now the f1.2 is really expensive! That one is $1600 on Amazon.

Just what I need, another expensive hobby!
    Mark Twain

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You're really "coming up" in the world. Very glad to see that. Talent will get you over the "hump" and you have a ton!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast