+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
Results 751 to 775 of 806

Thread: The Dark Tower Q&A - Ask a question, get an answer! *spoilers*

  1. #751
    Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin seldom gets put on hold stroppygoblin seldom gets put on hold stroppygoblin seldom gets put on hold stroppygoblin seldom gets put on hold stroppygoblin seldom gets put on hold stroppygoblin seldom gets put on hold stroppygoblin seldom gets put on hold stroppygoblin seldom gets put on hold stroppygoblin seldom gets put on hold stroppygoblin seldom gets put on hold stroppygoblin seldom gets put on hold stroppygoblin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,836
    My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    It's not on a hill, but surrounded by hills.
    Surrounded? I thought just North and East:

    There were at least seventy other Callas, stretching in a mild arc north and south of Calla Bryn Sturgis. Calla Bryn Lockwood to the south and Calla Amity to the north were also farms and ranches. They also had to endure the periodic depredations of the Wolves. Farther south were Calla Bryn Bouse and Calla Staffel, containing vast tracts of ranchland, and Jaffords said they suffered the Wolves as well…at least he thought so. Farther north, Calla Sen Pinder and Calla Sen Chre, which were farms and sheep.

    “Farms of a good size,” Tian said, “but they’re smaller as ye go north, kennit, until ye’re in the lands where the snows fall—so I’m told; I’ve never seen it myself—and wonderful cheese is made.” “Those of the north wear wooden shoes, or so ’tis said,” Zalia told Eddie, looking a little wistful. She herself wore scuffed clodhoppers called shor’boots.
    The people of the Callas traveled little, but the roads were there if they wanted to travel, and trade was brisk. In addition to them, there was the Whye, sometimes called Big River. This ran south of Calla Bryn Sturgis all the way to the South Seas, or so ’twas said. There were mining Callas and manufacturing Callas (where things were made by steam-press and even, aye, by electricity) and even one Calla devoted to nothing but pleasure: gambling and wild, amusing rides, and… But here Tian, who had been talking, felt Zalia’s eyes on him and went back to the pot for more beans. And a conciliatory dish of his wife’s slaw. “So,” Eddie said, and drew a curve in the dirt. “These are the borderlands. The Callas. An arc that goes north and south
    for…how far, Zalia?”

    “’Tis men’s business, so it is,” she said. Then, seeing her own man was still at the embering fire, inspecting the pots, she leaned forward a bit toward Eddie. “Do you speak in miles or wheels?”

    “A little of both, but I’m better with miles.”

    She nodded. “Mayhap two thousand miles so”—she pointed north—“and twice that, so.” To the south. She remained that way, pointing in opposite directions, then dropped her arms, clasped her hands in her lap, and resumed her former demure pose. “And these towns…these Callas…stretch the whole way?” “So we’re told, if it please ya, and the traders do come and go. Northwest of here, the Big River splits in two. We call the east branch Devar-Tete Whye—the Little Whye, you might say. Of course we see more river-travel from the north, for the river flows north to south, do ya see.” “I do. And to the east?” She looked down. “Thunderclap,” she said in a voice Eddie could barely hear. “None go there.”


    A feeling was rising in Tian, one so foreign to his nature that he didn’t even recognize it. “Isn’t right,” he said. “Nossir. By the Man Jesus and all the gods that be, it isn’t.” He looked to the east, where the hills rolled away into a rising membranous darkness that might have been clouds but wasn’t. It was the edge of Thunderclap.


    He produced the Tavery twins’ map, opened it, and tapped an arroyo in the hill country northeast of town. It wound its way deeper and deeper into those hills before ending in one of the Calla’s old garnet mines. This one was a shaft that went thirty feet into a hillside and then stopped.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

  2. #752
    Traveler Rorschach is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hi everyone I'm not looking for a spoiler or anything, just some assistance.

    I'm only halfway through Gunslinger and I'm failing to visualise the settings. I initially pictured an Old Western setting, and the gunslinger as a Clint Eastwood character. The Hey Jude threw this one out of the window, and even more-so when the relatively modern American character Jake was introduced. But where I'm having most trouble is the flashbacks to Rolands early life in Gilead. The current setting is a desert/western, but he grew up in a walled castle? This has me suddenly picturing a medieval English setting, but Roland's father's wearing a work shirt and jeans? And they have electricity? (Are they also dressed like cowboys here or did Roland adapt that later on?)

    I know it's supposed to be alien to me and different from anywhere I know, but I think I will have a more enjoyable reading experience henceforth if I can have a fairly clear visualization of this place and its inhabitants in my mind (Gilead, the castle, their attires). Currently my mind is scrambled with a medieval, wealthy castle, where the inhabitants are dressed like cowboys. Is there any familiar fictional locations I can compare it to? A picture/fan art would be helpful if available, I tried googling for some pages from the comic adapation to see the artist portrayals but can't find relevant ones.

  3. #753
    "I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an people like to rub elbows with me Br!an people like to rub elbows with me Br!an people like to rub elbows with me Br!an people like to rub elbows with me Br!an people like to rub elbows with me Br!an people like to rub elbows with me Br!an people like to rub elbows with me Br!an people like to rub elbows with me Br!an people like to rub elbows with me Br!an people like to rub elbows with me Br!an people like to rub elbows with me Br!an's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Space Coast, Florida
    Posts
    7,547
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Hi everyone I'm not looking for a spoiler or anything, just some assistance.

    I'm only halfway through Gunslinger and I'm failing to visualise the settings. I initially pictured an Old Western setting, and the gunslinger as a Clint Eastwood character. The Hey Jude threw this one out of the window, and even more-so when the relatively modern American character Jake was introduced. But where I'm having most trouble is the flashbacks to Rolands early life in Gilead. The current setting is a desert/western, but he grew up in a walled castle? This has me suddenly picturing a medieval English setting, but Roland's father's wearing a work shirt and jeans? And they have electricity? (Are they also dressed like cowboys here or did Roland adapt that later on?)

    I know it's supposed to be alien to me and different from anywhere I know, but I think I will have a more enjoyable reading experience henceforth if I can have a fairly clear visualization of this place and its inhabitants in my mind (Gilead, the castle, their attires). Currently my mind is scrambled with a medieval, wealthy castle, where the inhabitants are dressed like cowboys. Is there any familiar fictional locations I can compare it to? A picture/fan art would be helpful if available, I tried googling for some pages from the comic adapation to see the artist portrayals but can't find relevant ones.
    "The world has moved on." It is a dystopian apocalyptic world. Think of an old west version of Mad Max occurring in a parallel universe.
    1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 70 4D4PT 70 CH4NG3.
    -573PH3N H4WK1NG

  4. #754
    Caution: eye irritant Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    10,772
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Bahhh...think steam punk!
    “Give me the sense to wonder, to wonder if I'm free."

  5. #755
    Traveler CalvinToren is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    8
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Hello,

    I have a question wich is bothering me for a while, and I didn't find any satisfying answers on the internet yet.
    I'm reading the dark tower series for the second time now and I'm at the part in Song of Susannah where jake and callahan went to 1999 to Susannah, and eddie an Roland went to
    1977 to save Calvin Tower. According to me, they are in 1977 and 1999 of the keystone world. Question is: if time in the keystone world only flows in one direction (only forward, you can't go back to change something),
    how is it possible to be in 1977 AND in 1999 of the keystone world at the same time? (IMO 1977 IS the past of 1999). Another question is: they see that in keystone 1999 the Tet corporation is the owner of the vacant lot.
    why are they still worried in 1977 about Tower?

  6. #756
    Traveler CalvinToren is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    8
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I don't know if i am posting this in the right topic, but i was thinking about something. Currently I am reading the long way home (comic) and now I am at the part where Sheemie heals Cuthbert's wound. Do you guys think this is a connection with The green mile (John Coffey's healing abilities)?

  7. #757
    Along the Path of the Beam Cixelsyd is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southgate, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalvinToren View Post
    Hello,

    I have a question wich is bothering me for a while, and I didn't find any satisfying answers on the internet yet.
    I'm reading the dark tower series for the second time now and I'm at the part in Song of Susannah where jake and callahan went to 1999 to Susannah, and eddie an Roland went to
    1977 to save Calvin Tower. According to me, they are in 1977 and 1999 of the keystone world. Question is: if time in the keystone world only flows in one direction (only forward, you can't go back to change something),
    how is it possible to be in 1977 AND in 1999 of the keystone world at the same time? (IMO 1977 IS the past of 1999). Another question is: they see that in keystone 1999 the Tet corporation is the owner of the vacant lot.
    why are they still worried in 1977 about Tower?
    My thoughts:

    The only deadline that matters is July 15, 1977, when possession of the lot and the rose will go to Sombra. That is where time is passing and where they can't go back if it is missed.

    The issue with 1999 is that the reality where the Tet corp has the lot was created only because of their actions in 1977. If they don't intervene in 1977, the Tet corp. doesn't exist and Tower sells the lot to Sombra. 1999 is only a possible future if they succeed in 1977. It can be undone if they fail.

  8. #758
    Along the Path of the Beam Cixelsyd is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southgate, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Currently my mind is scrambled with a medieval, wealthy castle, where the inhabitants are dressed like cowboys.
    That's the basics. Think Arthurian legend mixed with old west. The Gunslingers are cowboys who are analogous to the knights of the round table. Things make a lot more sense as more of the Tower lore unfolds. Without spoiling it, just remember, "there are other worlds than these."

  9. #759
    Caution: eye irritant Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    10,772
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    ...and wheelchairs.
    “Give me the sense to wonder, to wonder if I'm free."

  10. #760
    Traveler whichwilson will become famous soon enough whichwilson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    What other King stories are 'essential' reading before finishing the series?

    When I say "essential" I mean the story contains something that will give the reader a much better understanding of a Dark Tower book. For example, I would personally consider Salem's Lot an essential read before starting Wolves of the Calla. I have heard that Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia are also essential reads before the sixth or seventh book. I tried searching but I really don't like having things spoiled for me so I figured I would just ask.

  11. #761
    Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vero Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,418
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whichwilson View Post
    What other King stories are 'essential' reading before finishing the series?

    When I say "essential" I mean the story contains something that will give the reader a much better understanding of a Dark Tower book. For example, I would personally consider Salem's Lot an essential read before starting Wolves of the Calla. I have heard that Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia are also essential reads before the sixth or seventh book. I tried searching but I really don't like having things spoiled for me so I figured I would just ask.
    Check HERE, although there could be some spoilers(?) but you could just look at the Contents box on the right side for a list only!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

  12. #762
    Dr Emmett Brown Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whichwilson View Post
    What other King stories are 'essential' reading before finishing the series?
    When I say "essential" I mean the story contains something that will give the reader a much better understanding of a Dark Tower book. For example, I would personally consider Salem's Lot an essential read before starting Wolves of the Calla. I have heard that Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia are also essential reads before the sixth or seventh book. I tried searching but I really don't like having things spoiled for me so I figured I would just ask.
    I would definitely say that Hearts in Atlantis is a great one to read before getting to the end of the series.

  13. #763
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Yankee Stadium
    Posts
    28,343
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    It's very hard to say. Yes, HIA is a good one to read before the end and "Insomnia" is critical, but both in only a secondary manner. I personally would not stop to read these before finishing the actual series. I feel they were more a "nod" to the DT fans before he had completed it. Now that it is done I think you can go back and read them in any order ("The DT Related" books in any order) IMHO.

  14. #764
    Caution: eye irritant Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    10,772
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    50 Shades of Gray.
    “Give me the sense to wonder, to wonder if I'm free."

  15. #765
    Dr Emmett Brown Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave is a splendid one to behold Girlystevedave's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    It's very hard to say. Yes, HIA is a good one to read before the end and "Insomnia" is critical, but both in only a secondary manner. I personally would not stop to read these before finishing the actual series. I feel they were more a "nod" to the DT fans before he had completed it. Now that it is done I think you can go back and read them in any order ("The DT Related" books in any order) IMHO.
    I agree. I don't think any of the other King books have to be read to understand/enjoy The Dark Tower series. Lucky for me, I had already read Hearts in Atlantis before ever picking up The Dark Tower. Had I not, I don't think there is any way I would have had the willpower to put The Dark Tower down and then pick up another book.

  16. #766
    Traveler Samel will become famous soon enough Samel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    10
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Hey guys! Here's my question: why was Roland chasing the Walter in the first place? I mean, at first he didn't know that Walter and Marten were the same person. He kinda suspected it, but he didn't really know. If he knew he was Marten, I would've understood. He'd be wanting to avenge all the bad things Marten had done in Gilead and in Jericho Hill. But he didn't know, so... why did he start chasing this Walter guy in the first place?

  17. #767
    Traveler Thing Fish will become famous soon enough

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    8

    Default Spoiler for Wolves of the Calla

    Why did Eddie have to shoot out Andy's eyes and shove him into the privy, at great risk to himself and Rosalita, before he guessed Andy's password and shut him down? Wouldn't it have been easier and far safer to just start with the password in the first place?

  18. #768
    Traveler wordslingers will become famous soon enough wordslingers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    18
    My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    I have a question, although I'm not sure if the information is found in any of the novels, but: do we know any of the characters' birthdays? I feel like (aside from years) King doesn't often locate us in time, and I'm currently rereading the series and was wondering if it was mentionned or could be inferred (mostly Jake, Eddie and Susannah's birthdays). I think you can infer the year of their birth with their age and the year of their drawing but yeah, while it's not the most important info (and if it's nowhere in the books I totally get why) but it's the kind of info I love knowing

  19. #769
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Yankee Stadium
    Posts
    28,343
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wordslingers View Post
    I have a question, although I'm not sure if the information is found in any of the novels, but: do we know any of the characters' birthdays? I feel like (aside from years) King doesn't often locate us in time, and I'm currently rereading the series and was wondering if it was mentionned or could be inferred (mostly Jake, Eddie and Susannah's birthdays). I think you can infer the year of their birth with their age and the year of their drawing but yeah, while it's not the most important info (and if it's nowhere in the books I totally get why) but it's the kind of info I love knowing
    You may want to try the book by Bev Vincent "Road to the Dark Tower" or Robin Furths' TDT Concordance for that info.

  20. #770
    Gunslinger Apprentice Xerrand will become famous soon enough Xerrand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    122
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    Why did Eddie have to shoot out Andy's eyes and shove him into the privy, at great risk to himself and Rosalita, before he guessed Andy's password and shut him down? Wouldn't it have been easier and far safer to just start with the password in the first place?
    A gunslinger has to shoot it's in the blood!

  21. #771
    Traveler j-buck is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    How did the Dogan book tip off Eddie that Slightman was the snitch? It was written by his son, but I don't see how he was able to deduce the fact that he was the snitch simply from his son's name (and his, in a typo) being on the book.

  22. #772
    Traveler j-buck is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Edit: sorry, double.

  23. #773
    Traveler baggyg is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Banska Bystrica
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Hopefully this is the right place. I have tried searching for this question to no avail. When Roland is speaking to Stephen King after Jake had saved him, he warns him of a woman who will tempt him and how she must be ignored. This doesn't seem to be mentioned again and I've not been able to find an answer as to why it was included. Was this something personal for King or perhaps just a loose thread of a story line he never cleared up?

  24. #774
    Gunslinger Apprentice Xerrand will become famous soon enough Xerrand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    122
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j-buck View Post
    How did the Dogan book tip off Eddie that Slightman was the snitch? It was written by his son, but I don't see how he was able to deduce the fact that he was the snitch simply from his son's name (and his, in a typo) being on the book.

    I could be wrong here, but from my understanding of that - the ka tet were used to weird coincidences showing up in terms of book names, or authors names. It seemed the names of people that they knew were constantly showing up somewhere else.(Deus ex machine really...) The fact that they knew somebody was likely informing and that name showing up led to the conclusion. While that does not directly make sense, a lot of the stuff that happens in the DT series can be attributed to the characters intuitions, and to a large extent the fact that Ka was on their side and willing them to be triumphant.

    So to answer the question there is no real definitive way that that book tipped eddy off to it. There's a lot of such things involved with the story, doesn't take away from it for me! Although it could be argued easily enough that that was a little lazy.

  25. #775
    Caution: eye irritant Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon has much to be proud of Jon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    10,772
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Or it could have been an author trying to tye into another series hoping for just a few more sales...a few more fans.

    It's not like network TV tries for spin offs or crossovers or such...or DO they...???
    “Give me the sense to wonder, to wonder if I'm free."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts