Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 80 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1978

Thread: Dark Tower Same-Number Sets: Who owns them?

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

I agree that in the parameters of The Dark Tower.org $2,000 would be the price you would expect to pay. However take for instance the auction a little while ago, in which Rand sold his bound and signed copy, which was a gift from Michael and Audrey Whelan. With all the provenance the book held, it was unequivocally stated by very respected members here, that $1,000 or thereabouts was the price it was worth. It sold for $2,900 I believe.
    There are a huge number of collectors that never visit this site, probably many times more than come here. To those collectors there is a different expectation of retail, which is proven daily by the sales that are made.
    David I agree with you completely, but only in the confines of the forum we subscribe to.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Agree with Alec. Example: offered SOD Vol 1 & 2 gift edition here for $200 shipped with no luck. eBay auction ended up at $380 plus shipping. On the other end, Desperation gift edition was a no offer here and only got $50/opening bid on eBay.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Traveler stm08007 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

That's because (IMO), the "What's it worth question?" is usually instead answered as "what would YOU pay for it?". Just because one person wouldn't pay $2k for something, doesn't mean nobody will, especially given the rarity of the items and how infrequently they become available. That one person who would only pay $1k may also end up waiting a LONG time to find one at that price.

The "what's it worth?" is all but impossible to answer unless you are looking at the end results of multiple ebay auctions (which I think many would agree lends itself to being seen by many more collectors than any other means)--- even still, you might be looking at a time where multiple people are all insatiably looking a particular item and willing to pay more for instant gratification.. All this is why I am very leery of people "unequivocally" saying how much a specific item of which there are less than 1000 in existence of (and probably less than ten sold per year) is worth.

I think the "groupthink" involved in determination of pricing in some forums has too much sway--- example person A asks how much something is worth, person B says $1k, person C agrees, then persons D, E, F, G, etc all come away thinking $1k is a good price for the book. Then the books gets quickly sold privately for $1000... Meanwhile that same book goes on ebay for 5 times as much and people think that it was sold for too much (when in reality if it was listed for $1000 on ebay it would get instantly snatched up). Same thing could happen on the flipside where ebay values it less than one person would (perhaps that one person has a personal connection to the book/artwork/etc for some reason.. The moral of the story is some people would pay more and some people would pay less, so there is nothing "unequivocal" about valuing these types of books

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

well put stm08007....where in CT are you? I am in Fairfield.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Traveler stm08007 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Woodbury, I just ordered a book from you and it arrived very well packed last night!

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

:-) great thanks!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Citizen of Gilead OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Little Sisters of Eluria COMBO Pack #299 ($1650 OBO) - - - > LINK

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OneFathom View Post
    Little Sisters of Eluria COMBO Pack #299 ($1650 OBO) - - - > LINK
    I sold these years ago. Good guy owns them and if anyone is interested he would sell for much less off eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

way way too expensive! I don't even consider that a remarque.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    way way too expensive! I don't even consider that a remarque.
    Oh I agree with you but you never know... someone may need those numbers for a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Complete set #370 up for auction soon —*LINK

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The auction is live.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    The auction is live.
    Holy crap a 25% buyers premium. Feels wrong to me, seller should pay the premium. Guess that's why I don't go to auctions.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    The auction is live.
    Holy crap a 25% buyers premium. Feels wrong to me, seller should pay the premium. Guess that's why I don't go to auctions.
    Buyer pays the premium and the shipping. You have to pay close attention. They are pretty up front about the buyer's premium. The shipping can bite you in the ass though. I once bought two different lots of Updike books from HA. They both had several books. Lot A was listed as one item (lot of ten) and the other listed as a lot of ten items. I paid far more shipping the second lot since each "item" increases the shipping cost.

Most "house" auctions I am aware of have buyer's premiums. It works fine as long as you are aware of it. The seller gets the sale price. The house gets paid by the buyer's premium. Some houses also charge the seller a commission.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    The auction is live.
    Buyer pays the premium and the shipping. You have to pay close attention. They are pretty up front about the buyer's premium. The shipping can bite you in the ass though. I once bought two different lots of Updike books from HA. They both had several books. Lot A was listed as one item (lot of ten) and the other listed as a lot of ten items. I paid far more shipping the second lot since each "item" increases the shipping cost.

Most "house" auctions I am aware of have buyer's premiums. It works fine as long as you are aware of it. The seller gets the sale price. The house gets paid by the buyer's premium. Some houses also charge the seller a commission.
    Too bad for the seller, he only got $8250, and that included all 9 volumns, plus Vol 1 and 2 of Robert Browning's poetry, and some other stuff. Hope he doesn't have to pay a commission too.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

John F. Kennedy Talisman1964 is a jewel in the rough Talisman1964 is a jewel in the rough Talisman1964 is a jewel in the rough

Country
    Country Flag

Hi Folks,
    I have a full set of Dark Tower. Not matching numbers. See list below.
    The Gunslinger Signed limited edition Grant Number 422.
    The wastelands Signed Limited edition. Grant Number 1009.
    The Drawing of the Three. Signed Limited Edition. Number 675.
    Wizards and Glass. Signed Limited Edition. Number 640.
    Wolves of the Calla. . Signed Limited Edition. Number 640.
    Song of Susannah. .Signed Limited Edition. Number 640.
    The Dark Tower, .Signed Limited Edition. Number 640.
    Little sisters of Eluria. .Signed Limited Edition. Number 640.
    The wind through the keyhole. .Signed Limited Edition. Number 640.
    These are all boxed in slipcases as sent by Grant publishers to me and have been kept in a cool dry location with no sunlight damage possible. All are in excellent condition.
    Black House King and Straub. Grant. Signed Limited Edition. Number 640.
    I am putting up for sale and would be interested in your opinion as to value.
    Thanks for your help.
    Talisman1964

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman1964 View Post
    Hi Folks,
    These are all boxed in slipcases as sent by Grant publishers to me and have been kept in a cool dry location with no sunlight damage possible. All are in excellent condition.
    Thanks for your help.
    Talisman1964
    Gunslinger #422: $5500 - $6000
    Drawing of the Three #1009: $850 - $950
    Waste Lands #675: $700 - $800
    Wizard and Glass #640: $600 - $700
    Wolves of the Calla #640: $500
    Song of Susannah #640: $500
    The Dark Tower #640: $500 - $600
    Little Sisters of Eluria #640: $600 - $700

John F. Kennedy Talisman1964 is a jewel in the rough Talisman1964 is a jewel in the rough Talisman1964 is a jewel in the rough

Country
    Country Flag

Thank You OneFathom.
    Was not expecting such a quick reply. IIt has taken me 24 years to put the collection together, so labour of love.
    Do you think it is better to sell individually or as a set? Would you recommend ebay for a novice seller.
    Thanks for advice and i hope you are all keeping well in the USA. Greetings from the Emereld Isle in lockdown.
    TYalisman1964.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Thank You OneFathom.
    Was not expecting such a quick reply. IIt has taken me 24 years to put the collection together, so labour of love.
    Do you think it is better to sell individually or as a set? Would you recommend ebay for a novice seller.
    Thanks for advice and i hope you are all keeping well in the USA. Greetings from the Emereld Isle in lockdown.
    TYalisman1964.
    Hey Talisman! I think OneFathom is pretty spot on the valuations. If it were me I would sell the non-matching books as singles and the matching books as a set. The matching numbers are over 500 so may not sell super fast but I think they will sell.

Country
    Country Flag

Thank You Kingfan24.
    Talisman1964

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Hi Folks,
    Thanks for your help.
    Talisman1964
    I think these estimates are spot on. I would put Wind Through the Keyhole at $800-$1000.

I agree with Kingfan24 about selling strategy, too. You might try selling the whole set initially, just to see if a new-ish collector wants a whole non-matching set, but then do what he recommends if you don't get any takers.

I use eBay to sell books, but with your set, I might try other avenues first. With eBay + PayPal, you'll pay 15% of sale price in fees - including postage if buyer pays postage. In many cases, the extra visibility you get is worth those fees. But I would look at listing them in this forum, and possibly a few Facebook groups, first.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Hi Folks,
    Thanks for your help.
    Talisman1964
    I think these estimates are spot on. I would put Wind Through the Keyhole at $800-$1000.

I agree with Kingfan24 about selling strategy, too. You might try selling the whole set initially, just to see if a new-ish collector wants a whole non-matching set, but then do what he recommends if you don't get any takers.

I use eBay to sell books, but with your set, I might try other avenues first. With eBay + PayPal, you'll pay 15% of sale price in fees - including postage if buyer pays postage. In many cases, the extra visibility you get is worth those fees. But I would look at listing them in this forum, and possibly a few Facebook groups, first.

HBJ
    GREAT point. eBay is no longer a good place to sell high value books.

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Kingfan and Hunchback Jack. If possible i would love to avoid the seller fees to Ebay (obviously). I had hoped to sell the set for 11k+ but if there is a buyer on here that would like to purchase or discuss i would be willing to accept 10,200 for the full set and ship by courier to the buyer at my expense. Ihope i am not breaking any rules by posting this here and if i am please remove the post. Not sure if there is a specific area of the site to market the books on.
    Thank you everyone for your help and advice.
    Talisman1964

My Mood
    Inspired

Thank you Kingfan and Hunchback Jack. If possible i would love to avoid the seller fees to Ebay (obviously). I had hoped to sell the set for 11k+ but if there is a buyer on here that would like to purchase or discuss i would be willing to accept 10,200 for the full set and ship by courier to the buyer at my expense. Ihope i am not breaking any rules by posting this here and if i am please remove the post. Not sure if there is a specific area of the site to market the books on.
    Thank you everyone for your help and advice.
    Talisman1964
    Hey Talisman - if you decide to sell individually I would love to discuss the gunslinger with you.

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Unable to send you a Private Message.
    Perhaps you could reciprocate.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 80 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast