Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 80 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1978

Thread: Dark Tower Same-Number Sets: Who owns them?

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    And....I know a set that was sold AWAY from Betts recently for $18,500!
    What was the hook with the set? Remarques? Set #19?
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    Some were shrink wrapped. Keep in mind.. there are sets that go for more than what David sells them for more than you probably know. We here are not privy to all the sales of King's collectables as much as we would like to be. I can tell you that books 4 and on were shrink wrapped.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    We here are not privy to all the sales of King's collectables as much as we would like to be.
    I think that is true. There are a great number of King collectors who have never been members here. We tend to forget that.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Some were shrink wrapped. Keep in mind.. there are sets that go for more than what David sells them for more than you probably know. We here are not privy to all the sales of King's collectables as much as we would like to be. I can tell you that books 4 and on were shrink wrapped.
    Seems expensive for shrinkwrap.
    Looking for:

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Could have been the same person who bought the unopened Stand S/L...

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    If it was that guy he would have taken off all the shrinkwrap and thrown away the dust jackets.
    Looking for:

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If it was that guy he would have taken off all the shrinkwrap and thrown away the dust jackets.
    He might be doing that as we speak.

Country
    Country Flag

Looool

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Or he could be reading them in the bath.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I heard he keeps the shrink wrap and tosses the books altogether.

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    We here are not privy to all the sales of King's collectables as much as we would like to be.
    I think that is true. There are a great number of King collectors who have never been members here. We tend to forget that.

I would agree with Bob, you only have to view the number of guests visiting this site, that never actually join. Consider the amount of people in other countries that we have no idea about. I would guess we are a very small percentage.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post

I would agree with Bob, you only have to view the number of guests visiting this site, that never actually join. Consider the amount of people in other countries that we have no idea about. I would guess we are a very small percentage.
    The amount of sales that go on would blow us away. How naive and egotistical of us all to think we know all values... we know the values of what we buy and sell here plus on a few sites but I think we would be shocked and floored if we had full disclosure on every King sale made. Alas... we are not the only "game" in town.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't underestimate the number of King Collector's that lurk on the site. The days of postal mailers and being the first person to call a dealer, then mail a check are mostly gone.
    I'm sure there are King Collector's that haven't been here, but the really significant (Super Collector's) visit here, ebay, and all other book sellers daily (if not many times a day). They may not be a member here, thus never posting, but ANY site that can help them acquire something they need is frequently perused.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

The amount of sales that go on would blow us away. How naive and egotistical of us all to think we know all values... we know the values of what we buy and sell here plus on a few sites but I think we would be shocked and floored if we had full disclosure on every King sale made. Alas... we are not the only "game" in town.

Is anybody really blown away to know that valuable King books change hands privately all the time? There's 7 billion people on the planet, it's not surprising to know that stuff happens that we are not aware of either personally or collectively. I'm sure that some of those deals would be surprising in terms of what specific rare items are exchanged and what prices are paid, but I don't think that makes it egotistical or naive to make educated value judgements here.
    Looking for:

Country
    Country Flag

Is anybody really blown away to know that valuable King books change hands privately all the time? There's 7 billion people on the planet, it's not surprising to know that stuff happens that we are not aware of either personally or collectively. I'm sure that some of those deals would be surprising in terms of what specific rare items are exchanged and what prices are paid, but I don't think that makes it egotistical or naive to make educated value judgements here.
    I think you missed my point.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Updated list to include Alec's #78 complete set.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Traveler ptso is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Full set of S/Ls numbered 105 on sale on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King...YAAOSwal5YF5K-
    Offered for sale by samotris.
    Sold for $11,000.

A few of the DJs looked very faded but, given the set was secured for a good price, they can affordably be replaced.
    I think that sold for a fair/good price.
    I was about to bid on the set until I received further information from the seller that there is discoloration on volume 1 slip case and that he dropped volume 1 on its corner

I just hope it was disclosed to the buyer. It's probably worth less than 11k if that is the case. The guy never did send me scans of the new state of the book btw.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ptso View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Full set of S/Ls numbered 105 on sale on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King...YAAOSwal5YF5K-
    Offered for sale by samotris.

Sold for $11,000.

A few of the DJs looked very faded but, given the set was secured for a good price, they can affordably be replaced.
    I think that sold for a fair/good price.
    I was about to bid on the set until I received further information from the seller that there is discoloration on volume 1 slip case and that he dropped volume 1 on its corner

I just hope it was disclosed to the buyer. It's probably worth less than 11k if that is the case. The guy never did send me scans of the new state of the book btw.
    Well, I was going to reveal I was the buyer later today in the pride and joy thread (then this one). It just arrived an hour ago, and haven't opened the box.

I can confirm NO he didn't inform me of these defects, and the description reads "The books are all in as new unread condition, however I have removed the shrinkwrap to examine the books and enjoy the illustrations."

So now I don't know if I should open the box to examine it, or contact the seller first.

Does anyone know if the seller Samotris is a member here.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Traveler ptso is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike,

Well, I think you should inspect the books and confirm if the defects exist and if it is tolerable for you (it could be very minor and technically still be a fine set).
    If you decide to return, you'll have to notify him of the defects and in which case, you'll be protected by Ebay's buyer's protection policy (he has no return policy).
    I'm usually a bit over cautious when buying high value items over Ebay. I specifically asked him to state any defect no matter how minor and that's when he provided the additional details.
    His responses were a bit curt for someone trying to sell a 10k+ item. Further, he never did send the additional pics as promised - which killed the deal before it even started.
    I'm still looking for a signed number set myself.

I hope everything works out for you.

-Paul

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ptso View Post
    Hi Mike,

Well, I think you should inspect the books and confirm if the defects exist and if it is tolerable for you (it could be very minor and technically still be a fine set).
    If you decide to return, you'll have to notify him of the defects and in which case, you'll be protected by Ebay's buyer's protection policy (he has no return policy).
    I'm usually a bit over cautious when buying high value items over Ebay. I specifically asked him to state any defect no matter how minor and that's when he provided the additional details.
    His responses were a bit curt for someone trying to sell a 10k+ item. Further, he never did send the additional pics as promised - which killed the deal before it even started.
    I'm still looking for a signed number set myself.

I hope everything works out for you.

-Paul
    Hi Paul,

I did contact the seller, and he is willing to cancel the order. I will open and inspect the books tomorrow, as I am still working and too fatigued to do it tonight. He has also offered to help me find a new DJ. He sent me pictures, but it was hard to tell if the book itself is damaged, so I will inspect it. Otherwise it may be just the DJ is damaged, in which case as others pointed out it maybe be faded, so I probably needed to replace it anyway. If it is just a case of replacing the DJ, I will definitely keep it.

BTW, welcome to the site.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Keep us posted man. Really hope it works out for you. Be a crown jewel in anyone's collection. David has a nice perfect set for sale at Betts. He is Good with lay away too in order to help collectors out. I wish ya the best

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

I think you missed my point.
    I do not find it egotistical to make educated value judgements, however I think that it is naive not to take into account that there are people out there who will pay very high prices for absolute perfection.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

So far I have only unwrapped two books, The gunslinger and The waste Lands. here are some pictures of the damage to the gunslinger. I don't really notice signifant damage to the book. There is some damage to the top of the DJ, but I understand they can be replaced. However, the slipcase is soiled and I presume faded (I don't know what the exact shade should be since I have never seen one before). Is it possible to replace the slipcase?

Damage to DJ:
    Spoiler:

Damage to book, sorry these images are blurry, and then heavily compressed to upload, so hard to tell

Spoiler:

from an angle:

And the soiled slipcase. Can this be cleaned?

Spoiler:

Thanks for comments, suggestions, opinions on effect an value, etc.

Mike
    Last edited by amd013; 11-19-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: fix third image from link to image
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 80 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast