Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Dan Simmons

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Verdansky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Never heard of Dan Simmons.
    He seems to have the same unhinged fingers as DJT.
    Are you being serious? Never heard of him?
    I've never heard of him.

Then please do us all a favor and stay out of this thread. You get one polite request from me.
    Doesn't seem very polite to me.
    What did I write that's violating any terms of service? I read the Post & Topic Relevance guidelines and it seems I didn't post anything out of bounds.
    I come to this great site to enjoy collecting and to discuss books. I use my time here to get away from the harsh day of doing business, the terrible politics (on all sides), and the harshness of reality that seems to slip in from time to time to ruin a good thing. Perhaps your political jab wasn't the best show of your character as a new member here.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Traveler WernerP is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Hi all!!
    Totally new at this forum, stumbled upon this very thread while sifting through Google results for Dan Simmons' short stories...
    Is anyone here capable of generating a completely complete list of such stories, and how and where they were published?
    Stand-alone as well as Simmons' only collections as well as tributes, anthologies, etc.....

I am not so much interested in collecting all books and stories in all the possible different forms... (bound, hardcover, paperback, signed/numbered, pocket, ...)

What I most definitely AM interested in, is collecting at least ONE version of everything mr Simmons ever published... :-)

Looking forward to finding out (a whole lot) more on the fantastic bibiography that is Dan Simmons'!!

Cheers!

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    What do you guys think the top 3 Dan books are? Curious what you all think.
    Top 3 for me:
    Summer Of Night
    A Winter Haunting
    Phases Of Gravity

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Glad to see A Winter Haunting mentioned. It had a tough act to follow.

looking for: NOS4A2 (sub press)
    Dead Zone 1st/1st, Boy's Life S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Glad to see A Winter Haunting mentioned. It had a tough act to follow.
    Definitely. Viewed less as a sequel and more as an independent story it is a good read. Add some Duane McBride to the mix and you can't go wrong!

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My latest! Thought I would share. This is a big boy!

Merry Christmas Dan's Fans!

looking 4: The Road #208, anything DT#246, Dead Zone 1st/1st
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Congrats — CARRION COMFORT was my intro to Simmons back in the day, and remains one of my favorites by him.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    Congrats — CARRION COMFORT was my intro to Simmons back in the day, and remains one of my favorites by him.
    Very cool. And I remember you liked The Terror and Summer of Night too! I've enjoyed collecting him.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Very cool. And I remember you liked The Terror and Summer of Night too! I've enjoyed collecting him.

I've read most of Simmon's work, and, yep, those would be my Top Three, and probably in that order (THE TERROR, SUMMER OF NIGHT, CARRION COMFORT). I also have a soft spot for his Parker-homage Joe Kurtz novels. Interestingly, when I saw Simmons during his (I think) ABOMINABLE tour -- a brief one, with Seattle as one of the stops -- he mentioned that Mulholland Books was going to be publishing a fourth Kurtz novel...but that was some time ago and I haven't seen any such book appear, so not sure what the deal is on that. I keep my fingers crossed that it'll someday appear.

Btw, enjoyed looking at your pics of your S/L of CARRION COMFORT again. I have the Dark Harvest trade HC, which I got signed on another one of his tours, but still...there's something pretty cool about having the deluxe signed/#d edition. Someday perhaps I'll upgrade.

Country
    Country Flag

I've read most of Simmon's work, and, yep, those would be my Top Three, and probably in that order (THE TERROR, SUMMER OF NIGHT, CARRION COMFORT). I also have a soft spot for his Parker-homage Joe Kurtz novels. Interestingly, when I saw Simmons during his (I think) ABOMINABLE tour -- a brief one, with Seattle as one of the stops -- he mentioned that Mulholland Books was going to be publishing a fourth Kurtz novel...but that was some time ago and I haven't seen any such book appear, so not sure what the deal is on that. I keep my fingers crossed that it'll someday appear.

Btw, enjoyed looking at your pics of your S/L of CARRION COMFORT again. I have the Dark Harvest trade HC, which I got signed on another one of his tours, but still...there's something pretty cool about having the deluxe signed/#d edition. Someday perhaps I'll upgrade.
    I love the history you have with his stuff. One I was wondering your opinion on was Song of Kali?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

Got the third one this week. Many of you mentioned the series.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Got the third one this week. Many of you mentioned the series.

I love the hard boiled nature of these books. Right up there with Dennis Lehane. Great get my man!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine as well - like a gateway drug. Still one of my favorite epics, like a Swan Song, a The Stand, and like The Passage - epic and scope! Loved it. Then I jumped into the Hyperion series, and man I was hooked.

I love the history you have with his stuff. One I was wondering your opinion on was Song of Kali?
    First, congrats on getting the signed Kurtz set completed! :-)

SONG OF KALI: I have both the Bluejay 1st HC and the later signed/#d/slipcased Earthling HC. I’d rate it in the upper range of his mid-grade work. It was a good read and was an impressive debut, but it did show an author whose creative ambition for the story was just a bit more than his early skills were able to effectively execute. 6 or 7 out of 10.

My least favorite is, probably, FIRES OF EDEN. That one just didn’t click with me at all.

Country
    Country Flag

First, congrats on getting the signed Kurtz set completed! :-)

SONG OF KALI: I have both the Bluejay 1st HC and the later signed/#d/slipcased Earthling HC. I’d rate it in the upper range of his mid-grade work. It was a good read and was an impressive debut, but it did show an author whose creative ambition for the story was just a bit more than his early skills were able to effectively execute. 6 or 7 out of 10.

My least favorite is, probably, FIRES OF EDEN. That one just didn’t click with me at all.
    Got it. Thanks so much for your feedback. I understand exactly what you mean. It is in my long reading list. Plot sounds good.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Mine as well - like a gateway drug. Still one of my favorite epics, like a Swan Song, a The Stand, and like The Passage - epic and scope! Loved it. Then I jumped into the Hyperion series, and man I was hooked.
    I love the feedback and enthusiasm from you two. I am really excited to read it. I am buying them faster than I can read them. I think I am going to read Gaiman's American Gods next or maybe Hill's NOSFA2, and then Carrion. I am thinking of trying Dune????!!!

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Simmons' versatilty is impressive: he has written engaging and entertaining horror, sci-fi, historical, fantasy and noir novels.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is Drood a hard read? Is it good?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Overall a good read but, like many of Simmons' historical novels, he makes the reader work for the payoff.

Gunslinger Apprentice zachip has a spectacular aura about zachip has a spectacular aura about

for me it's a Masterpiece, but to really enjoy it you need to:
    1. Love 1st person narrative (which is what makes it so good because of the unreliable narrator)
    2. Love Victorian England settings and the period
    3. Interested/Familiar with Charles Dickens/Wilkie Collins historical context and works
    it's combination of historical fiction with gothic psychological horror.
    Because it's actually based on real people, the achievement Simmons did here is astonishing.

I'd rate DROOD -- like SONG OF KALI (above) -- as mid-range in his body of work, but on the upper edge of that range. It's quite good, though as Ben mentioned, it does take an investment of time and focus by the reader to truly enjoy and appreciate it. So, not top-tier Simmons, but bumping right up against it...and I love the Sub Press dj art that was used.

Simmons clearly does a lot of research for his novels and has a tendency to overindulge in sharing results of said research.

Country
    Country Flag

I'd rate DROOD -- like SONG OF KALI (above) -- as mid-range in his body of work, but on the upper edge of that range. It's quite good, though as Ben mentioned, it does take an investment of time and focus by the reader to truly enjoy and appreciate it. So, not top-tier Simmons, but bumping right up against it...and I love the Sub Press dj art that was used.
    That cover is badass for sure. I agree.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

I love hearing what you guys have to say about these. You are guiding my reading list. Appreciate it.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There is a great book hidden in Drood. Unfortunately, like many of Simmon's books, it is about 200 pages longer than it should be. A good editor would be a godsend for old Dan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast