Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Dan Simmons

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    That's the one. When it comes to signed Simmons trades, it's really about having patience to play the waiting game. His signed books aren't expensive but they don't come up for sale frequently.
    Great advice. I am excited about collecting someone new. Fun stuff.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Can anyone help me with my search for A Winter Haunting True First F/F or NF with sig not on a book plate?

Thx

Funny enough I got a free one of these from RF back in 2014. I had no idea who Dan Simmons was nor what the book was about. I held onto it for a year or so and ended up passing it on to a friend thinking I would have no interest in Simmons. I know have every book by Simmons with the exception of A Winter Haunting

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Can anyone help me with my search for A Winter Haunting True First F/F or NF with sig not on a book plate?

Thx

Let me look at my collection when I get home...I may have a signed 1st HC in Fine/Fine condition of that one. I know I had it at one time, but I can't recall if I still do or it got purgued at some recent point (something's nagging at the back of my mind that that may indeed have happened) at I didn't really care for it..was probably expecting too much from it as I went into it thinking it was a sequel to SUMMER OF NIGHT, and while it is to some degree, it's a very loose sequel and just didn't click with me at the time.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post

Thx

Let me look at my collection when I get home...I may have a signed 1st HC in Fine/Fine condition of that one. I know I had it at one time, but I can't recall if I still do or it got purgued at some recent point (something's nagging at the back of my mind that that may indeed have happened) at I didn't really care for it..was probably expecting too much from it as I went into it thinking it was a sequel to SUMMER OF NIGHT, and while it is to some degree, it's a very loose sequel and just didn't click with me at the time.
    I appreciate that RC!

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Sorry, it did get purged…pretty recently, too, if my vague memory of it is accurate and true. A shame, I would’ve let that one go cheap, as it just didn’t click with me. Sorry, good luck on the hunt!

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, it did get purged…pretty recently, too, if my vague memory of it is accurate and true. A shame, I would’ve let that one go cheap, as it just didn’t click with me. Sorry, good luck on the hunt!
    Thanks a million for checking. Appreciate it.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

How about this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    How about this one?
    If you do opt for that one (which seems high to me, but perhaps that's the going price for it), here's a Biblio.com coupon code I received a few days ago that you could use to chop off 10%:

CLIMATE10

SAVE 10% off of your next order of at least $50 USD

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    How about this one?
    If you do opt for that one (which seems high to me, but perhaps that's the going price for it), here's a Biblio.com coupon code I received a few days ago that you could use to chop off 10%:

CLIMATE10

SAVE 10% off of your next order of at least $50 USD
    Thanks RC I'll take a look. Thank you so much.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

New one. Cool book I though I would share.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Awesome collection, and a very cool edition of it...congrats.

By the way, you may want to avoid Twitter for a few days and just enjoy reading this volume of his early work...Simmons is getting eviscerated for a recent Facebook post.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

OK, now I'm interested. What did he say this time? You could pm the link if you don't want to post it here. Chances are I won't be able to read it anyway unless his Facebook is public.

Edit:

Found this:http://file770.com/dan-simmons-criti...bout-thunberg/

Damn. Datlow, Barron, Vandermeer, Tremblay, Koja and his French translator chiming in. Regardless of his views, I can't get past Simmons becoming the personification of oldmanyellingatcloud.gif

I'll always love the books I read by him (the ones I loved) and I know in theory we should be able to separate the art from the artist, but damn, some people make that really hard.

I don’t have a Facebook page, so only saw the screen grab posted on Twitter that is getting a very harsh reception, to say the least. He was criticizing Greta Thunberg and her climate advocacy. Sorry, I wouldn’t know how to direct you to see it on his page.

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome collection, and a very cool edition of it...congrats.

By the way, you may want to avoid Twitter for a few days and just enjoy reading this volume of his early work...Simmons is getting eviscerated for a recent Facebook post.
    Could not agree with him more. Well said by Mr. Simmons. Glad I peeked. Ha!

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It seems like not even Dan Simmons agrees with what Dan Simmons wrote because he removed the post. And he's NOT one to censor himself, even at the expense of losing readership/money.

Someone must've tugged on his sleeve and said, Dan, look, you just berated a 16-year-old girl with Autism by pointing out the behaviour typical of Autism.

Maybe Simmons didn't know and he felt bad when he found out.

As for the actual content of the post, I couldn't care less. He's entitled to his opinions.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    It seems like not even Dan Simmons agrees with what Dan Simmons wrote because he removed the post. And he's NOT one to censor himself, even at the expense of losing readership/money.

Someone must've tugged on his sleeve and said, Dan, look, you just berated a 16-year-old girl with Autism by pointing out the behaviour typical of Autism.

Maybe Simmons didn't know and he felt bad when he found out.

As for the actual content of the post, I couldn't care less. He's entitled to his opinions.
    If we have learned one thing about celebrity tweets it is just because they remove them does not mean they do not believe them. Cancel culture is worse than it has ever been. Interesting.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I would find a political conversation between Simmons and King to be intriguing. Both are ex-schoolteachers, very bright, don't hold back on sharing their opinions and are definitely at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I heard that Dan shared some controverial comments on Greta the other day, but couldnt find what he said?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I heard that Dan shared some controverial comments on Greta the other day, but couldnt find what he said?
    Here it is. It's interesting to follow Simmons - he regularly presents himself as quite an authority (beyond just opinion) on various subjects in which he has no qualification, especially climate change. He often prefaces his proclamations with how much he's read on X subject and how he has some relationship with a person (i.e., expert) on the subject.

I took photos of his post before I commented on his post and predicted what he ended up doing - blocking me (in his own cancel culture move, I suppose?)

Country
    Country Flag

Check out my post on this page. It includes some pretty famous writers commenting too.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

His sentence spacing is weird. Sometimes there's no space between sentences and sometimes double spaces. Interesting. He also shown himself to be deeply misogynistic during the Kavanaugh hearings. I will never read anything he wrote or writes. Even this post I just had to skim, in part just due to poor writing.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Here it is. It's interesting to follow Simmons - he regularly presents himself as quite an authority (beyond just opinion) on various subjects in which he has no qualification, especially climate change. He often prefaces his proclamations with how much he's read on X subject and how he has some relationship with a person (i.e., expert) on the subject.

I took photos of his post before I commented on his post and predicted what he ended up doing - blocking me (in his own cancel culture move, I suppose?)
    I don’t think qualifications are necessary to speak intelligently on a subject but it can help/hurt your argument. Does Greta have any qualifications? What makes her an expert on climate change? If you’re going to use that as an argument against someone the person you’re supporting better have qualifications. (I’m honestly asking about Greta because I haven’t been following any of this.)

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I’m not a climate scientist by any means, but I keep abreast of developments reported in the media, and fact check the more alarmist sounding articles.

From reading Simmons’ posts and replies about climate change, my impression is that he has strong opinions on it, but is ill informed about the state of the science itself. I know significantly more about it than he does, and I wouldn’t make statements with anywhere near the kind of certainty he does.

His knowledge about climate change science seems to come almost solely from what detractors say about it, and from discussions with his “climate scientist friends”.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    I don’t think qualifications are necessary to speak intelligently on a subject but it can help/hurt your argument. Does Greta have any qualifications? What makes her an expert on climate change? If you’re going to use that as an argument against someone the person you’re supporting better have qualifications. (I’m honestly asking about Greta because I haven’t been following any of this.)
    I don’t think Simmons qualifications vs. Thunberg’s is as important as whether Simmons knowledge about climate science is good enough to support his stated opinions about it.

In my opinion, it is not.

(If you want my opinion of Greta Thunburg, I think she serves as a representative spokesperson for how climate activists feel, not as a representative spokesperson for climate scientists. That’s not to say her opinions are uninformed, but she is not being used as an educator, but as Public Relations)

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post

Not to open a can of worms here, but I was careful to use the phrase, “presents himself as an authority (beyond just opinion)” in my original post. And I didn’t mention that I was supporting Greta in that post, either. I agree, anyone can have an opinion, and even an intelligent one, including both Simmons and Greta. However, qualifications/experience matter with whom I’m going to give more credence on any subject (on the case of climate change - neither of them). My accountant may have a strong and even intelligent opinion on how to treat cancer, but I’m only letting the oncologist direct my treatment (just an example, I thankfully don’t have cancer). But I’ll leave the taxes to the accountant. As for Greta, she also speaks about something which she is not qualified, but the difference to Simmons is in some of the very first words in her speech: “I don't want you to listen to me. I want you to listen to the scientists.” It was a clever move by her (or her parents, or whoever). (Reflecting HBJ's sentiment in the earlier post).

So, of course, anyone can have their opinions - they just better not expect me to think they’re opinion is more intelligent over someone who’s formally dedicated their life to a subject (not Greta, or Simmons, but a climatologist - in this case). If Dan wants to talk about how to write / publish historical horror fiction, then I’m all ears.

I’m reminded of a debate that was on Australian television years ago between Richard Dawkins and Archbishop George Pell (Australian bishop only months ago convicted of molesting children and now jailed). Pell was talking authoritatively about human evolution, getting all manner of things wrong. Dawkins, in his own rather caustic way, interjects several times. Bishop Pell says something like, “what would you know on the subject?” To which Dawkins replies, “Well, it’s my life’s work!” Here both men have opinions, but they’re not equal on the subject. BTW, this is not meant be an analogy between Dan and Greta but rather qualification / specialisation versus opinion - Dan/Greta vs climatologist consensus).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast