Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Was the tower ever under threat ? :spoilers:

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Me? I don't think so. I mean, it is a complex subject, but I was honestly trying to further contribute. A lot of folken seem to nearly overlook the moral order angle. The last post from blavigne seems like a nice compromise, if it's true that the Tower is ALWAYS endangered for some reason; there's the idea that Gan would find a way to let Roland, at least, finally rest.
    Well, there are many versions of God, so I didn't know if this was your subjective view of God - that he is an all-loving God - or one based off of literature. Because there are plenty of nasty versions of God out there in fiction and non-fiction, in my experience.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay then, yes, there was a little sarcasm. The point is that we want Roland's experience to make sense because of instinctive expectation for justice in the world.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Good points path and LH. I believe that Ka is a wheel and so it rolls, but as with all things, it must also move on. I thin of it like this, the wheel is infinitely thick but as it rolls layers get rubbed off, just like tires on asphalt. Eventually all of Roland's part will be "rubbed off" exposing the piece that belongs to the next. Roland has not always been on his quest, there was a time before him, someone from whom the quest was passed. There are others to whom the quest will be passed forever and ever.

I think Roland will find his clearing because it is the end that must come. Whether that clearing is sunshine and bunnies or todash darkness, I do not know but it is peace from the quest. What Roland deserves, I also do not profess to know and am glad I do not have to judge.

When I posted that I believe that Roland will "get it right" and find his clearing, I was not thinking that would be a reward from Gan and he would go to heaven, just that although Ka is eternal we that serve it are not.

The God/Gan thing is a whole other issue to me, one that I have very mixed feelings about. Someday we will have to talk in that thread path, you generally have interesting and intelligent thoughts in that regard!!

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. But one way or another, how you define God goes right to the question of whether "getting it right" actually has any consistent meaning or not.

And that's becoming ever more necessary here. We're not just talking about mortal men as defined by linear time any longer. Roland's existence on his cycle involves multiple versions of him in parallel timestreams. Do the words "before" and "after" have any consistent meaning in that context? And why couldn't a man who jumps from one life to another be eternal? Maybe ka does have laws against that... but I think those would be moral laws rather than any kind of physics.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. But one way or another, how you define God goes right to the question of whether "getting it right" actually has any consistent meaning or not.

And that's becoming ever more necessary here. We're not just talking about mortal men as defined by linear time any longer. Roland's existence on his cycle involves multiple versions of him in parallel timestreams. Do the words "before" and "after" have any consistent meaning in that context? And why couldn't a man who jumps from one life to another be eternal? Maybe ka does have laws against that... but I think those would be moral laws rather than any kind of physics.
    path this is what I love about you..............now I gotta go think before I can reply.
    Seriously you are probably the most intelligent person on earth. I am impressed by your posts as always

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I'm flattered. Thank you. There are a lot of people around here who know much more than I do about different things. Like computer programming: I'd like to study that more. I am not good at finance. And so forth. But there really are not very many philosophers in this country. I took the road less travelled by. There seems to be a general feeling that it's a useless subject; that philosophy is all just matters of opinion, anyway. But I believe that you can really arrive at some consistent points if you think steadily. Not that anyone will care to listen, even so.

Maybe saving the Dark Tower is not a job for any one hero or succession of heroes but is simply the kind of task that requires a transformed society.

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I'm flattered. Thank you. There are a lot of people around here who know much more than I do about different things. Like computer programming: I'd like to study that more. I am not good at finance. And so forth. But there really are not very many philosophers in this country. I took the road less travelled by. There seems to be a general feeling that it's a useless subject; that philosophy is all just matters of opinion, anyway. But I believe that you can really arrive at some consistent points if you think steadily. Not that anyone will care to listen, even so.

Maybe saving the Dark Tower is not a job for any one hero or succession of heroes but is simply the kind of task that requires a transformed society.
    totally off topic here but have you read The Celestine Prophecy? I would love to discuss that with you! I LOVE philosophy and logic. Sometimes not my strong suit, but I strive to learn. I am also very open minded about most things which also helps. I look forward to many interesting discussions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2