Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower omnibus from Marvel

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Dark Tower omnibus from Marvel

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0785...SIN=0785155414

It's 900+ pages. Not much info on the Amazon page. I'm not sure if this means comics are done soon? I don't think they'd collect incomplete series or maybe they'll publish 900 more pages.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

so are the ominibus volumes going to collect all the supplementary materiel by firth and david that wasn't in the initial tpbs?

that's why I didn't get any of those.... but if the omnibus volumes had it in them it would be a huge plus
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

No clue. I'll get it regardless because I'm a dumb north american consumer and even a page of extra material will make me run to the comic shop.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I doubt I'll get it as I'm collecting the comics. (Actually I stopped for a bit with Little Sisters, but I've decided to get them.) At some point I plan on getting magazine folders for them, so I kinda get the 'book experience'. Not as nice as a proper volume I guess, but I'm not over keen on buying repeated material.

This is certainly should be a nice item to get though. And I do think they should collect the back stories at some point. I was thinking of a separate volume for those (before I found out about the omnibus) but considering they do often relate to the contents of the main story that might not work quite as well.

Along the Path of the Beam Sai Farson is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

DARK TOWER OMNIBUS HC SLIPCASE – DARK TOWER OMNIBUS
    Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH
    Art by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE
    Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

“The Man in Black fled across the desert…and the gunslinger followed.” With those words from a short story published in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Stephen King launched one of the most seminal characters in his lifetime of writing into a destiny fraught with danger, death, triumph and loss. In the almost thirty years since that momentous occasion, King introduced millions of readers to the densely textured realm of Mid-World through his magnum opus, the Dark Tower series of novels. King joined with Marvel in 2007 to bring his masterwork of fantasy to a new generation of readers. Adding stunning new textures to the mythos of Roland and Mid-World for four years, the initial arc of King and Marvel’s union is now complete, and the entire run is collected here. Collecting DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN #1-7, THE LONG ROAD HOME #1-5, TREACHERY #1-6, SORCERER #1, THE FALL OF GILEAD #1-6 and THE BATTLE OF JERICHO HILL #1-5.
    296 PGS./All Ages …$150.00
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-5541-6
    ©2011 Stephen King. All rights reserved.

DARK TOWER OMNIBUS HC SLIPCASE – COMPANION HC
    Written by ROBIN FURTH & ANTHONY FLAMINI
    Art by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE
    Cover by JAE LEE

Chock full of essential short stories, bonus material and apocrypha, this volume is a must-read for Stephen King enthusiasts. Three guidebooks overseen by Dark Tower: A Concordance author Robin Furth unlock the many secrets of Roland Deschain, the Gunslingers, Gilead and the dark forces of Farson — bringing readers greater insight into the people, places and things of Mid-World. And supplemental material from the first thirty issues of Marvel’s Dark Tower series shed even more light on King’s epic — with short stories by Furth, and a tour through artists Jae Lee and Richard Isanove’s sketchbooks, and more! Collecting DARK TOWER: GUNSLINGER’S GUIDEBOOK, END-WORLD ALMANAC and GUIDE TO GILEAD; MARVEL SPOTLIGHT: DARK TOWER; and material from DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN #1-7, THE LONG ROAD HOME #1-5, TREACHERY #1-6, SORCERER #1, THE FALL OF GILEAD #1-6 and THE BATTLE OF JERICHO HILL #1-5.
    600 PGS.
    ©2011 Stephen King. All rights reserved.

http://www.majorspoilers.com/solicit...ne-2011-part-2

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Too rich for my blood/taste - I guess i am glad I colelcted all the individual copies and the ARC hardbacks, and all the single issues like the GS Almanac, etc. No need for teh huge Omnibus editions! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure the second volume is welcome for those that only bought the collections, missing the extra bits as they do. Well, depending on the price, obviously.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You can preorder this for much less than the $150 cover price from comic shops - I'll be happy to pick one up since I missed the extra bits in the trade HC's

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think I'll pick up that Omnibus Companion to supplement my hardcovers. I'm not collecting the actual comics themselves, so this is good news.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I find it baffling that they didn't bother to include the appendices in the trades as opposed to forcing readers to buy them all in one huge overpriced omnibus. Guess there's more money to be made that way.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Banned Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Angry

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    I find it baffling that they didn't bother to include the appendices in the trades as opposed to forcing readers to buy them all in one huge overpriced omnibus. Guess there's more money to be made that way.
    To be fair, you don't need to buy the omnibus to get the extra content, you could always buy the comics.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think CyberGhostface is like me, wanting the comics in hardcover. I'm hoping the Omnibus Companion is available separately, it's not exactly clear.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    To be fair, you don't need to buy the omnibus to get the extra content, you could always buy the comics.
    Why does that have to be the only alternative? What's stopping them from including in the regular trades?

Just release them in paperback if you're worried about cost. Right now the Watchmen trade paperback which is 12 double-sized issues with extra features for each one has a suggested retail price of $19 and is available on Amazon for $11. In contrast, the DT hardcover has only seven regular sized issues with the special features removed, and it has a suggested retail price of $25 and they're asking for $16.

You tell me which is the beter deal.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah but Watchmen is the best selling graphic novel of all time (according to ads) and TDT comics don't even have King writting them. It's not even an adaptation of TDT, it's non-canon stuff that's based on the books that's written by someone else. I'm sure that smaller print runs and SK being more expensive than Moore also have to do with the higher price.

Banned Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Angry

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Why does that have to be the only alternative? What's stopping them from including in the regular trades?

Just release them in paperback if you're worried about cost. Right now the Watchmen trade paperback which is 12 double-sized issues with extra features for each one has a suggested retail price of $19 and is available on Amazon for $11. In contrast, the DT hardcover has only seven regular sized issues with the special features removed, and it has a suggested retail price of $25 and they're asking for $16.

You tell me which is the beter deal.
    You're comparing a 25 year old series in trade paperback to a 3 year old series in hardcover. That's like comparing Apples and Alarm Clocks. The First 3 Dark Tower series are available in a trade paperback as well, and are available new from the Amazon Marketplace for less than $10.

I don't know why they chose to not include the extras in the trades, I've always grabbed the individual comics. No one said this hobby was supposed to be inexpensive.

Country
    Country Flag

You're comparing a 25 year old series in trade paperback to a 3 year old series in hardcover. That's like comparing Apples and Alarm Clocks. The Dark Tower series is available in a trade paperback as well, and is available new from the Amazon Marketplace for less than $10.

I don't know why they chose to not include the extras in the trades, I've always grabbed the individual comics. No one said this hobby was supposed to be inexpensive.
    You're still getting more bang for your buck with Watchmen, and you're still getting ripped off with Dark Tower. I don't care how you slice it, there's no excuse to cut fans out of half of the issue with the trades and then selling it to them later for over a hundred dollars when you could have and should have just supplied it with the regular trades. It's just another excuse to get more money out of the fans pockets.

It's crap like this from Marvel that lead me to drop 90% of the titles that I used to get from them.

My Collection

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

i think it's silly that they don't include the extra materiel in the trades, i mean it's not like they were all one shots, they were all IN the individual issues, hell if they won't put them together then why won't they just take each arcs supplemental materiels and release all of those together in additional trade at the same time as the main comic, it bothers me and is the main reason i haven't picked up any trades, i got the 1st 2 and half arcs thinking i could just pick up the trades later only to realize to late that the only way to get the WHOLE comic is by buying the entire arc in single issues
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Country
    Country Flag

Also the articles sometimes related to the main comic content, so collecting them separately is a little strange. I think it's a good thing they're making this stuff available to the collection buyers but I agree, they should have included it in the original trades.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It may cost a fortune buying these deluxe hardcovers from Marvel but the way I look at is I download each weeks new Marvel releases online and read them on my iPad so I don't mind buying a deluxe hc for a series I enjoy.

Gunslinger Apprentice wahlers will become famous soon enough

Are you all sure that they are selling the 2nd book separately?

The description of the volumes does not list a separate price or ISBN after the page count of the companion.

Also, Marvel normally does not do slipcased single-editions or multi-volume omnibuses sold at the same time, so I think this is going to be $150 for both books in a slipcased edition only.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The second book comes together with the first - it is not going to be separate

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/d...HC+SLI_1132048

Country
    Country Flag

Boo! Well there goes that idea. If I can find it later for much much cheaper maybe I'll pick it up, and give the single hardcovers to someone.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Too rich for my blood/taste - I guess i am glad I colelcted all the individual copies and the ARC hardbacks, and all the single issues like the GS Almanac, etc. No need for teh huge Omnibus editions! :-)
    I actually have everything, so I don't really need this. It is WAY too rich for my blood also.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Some pictures of how the edition will be:

Wanted list:
    Ubris

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Very Nice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast