Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best short story to pick?

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Best short story to pick?

I want to pick a short story by Stephen King that has symbolism or uses metaphors for one of my classes. Can anyone think of any specific ones that have it? Preferably something that's in one of his first four short story collections.

Or if not King, does anyone know of any good stories from Joe Hill's collection that are symbolic? Been a while since I read it.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I really like "Nona" from Skeleton Crew. Look at this quote --
    Spoiler:
    I am in the grip of a huge, noisome graveyard rat. Lights sway in front of my eyes. October roses. Somewhere a dead bell is chanting.
    "Do you love?" this thing whispers. "Do you love?" The smell of roses is its breath as it swoops toward me, dead flowers in a charnel house.
    Great opening if Stephen King is what you want to discuss.

Less Horror-show is "The Reach" at the end of that collection, but the other side of SK that it shows is still quite characteristic, and it has its own interesting symbolism and pretty clear metaphor.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Or if not King, does anyone know of any good stories from Joe Hill's collection that are symbolic? Been a while since I read it.
    My Father's Mask

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

as far as king short stories go i recommend the boogeyman

with any short stories though...
    my favorite is The Kiss by Anton Chekov
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. "Nona" is my favorite King short story.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. In the end, I went with Grey Matter and I went at it from the perspective that King was unwittingly writing about his own alcoholism at the time.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

LT's Theory of Pets. (a metaphor for marriage)
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that's one of my problems with that story... I am mistrustful of any fiction that has metaphoric, allegoric, or any other deep, meaning

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Not me. Funny how we're much alike in some ways, and directly opposite in others...

Many stories, I'm either fed up with them, or still looking for deep meaning that is probably not even really there. >LOL<

Anyhow, I did love "LT's Theory of Pets."

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

My favorite short story of his that I have ever read was "The Langoliers". Hands down...

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    that's one of my problems with that story... I am mistrustful of any fiction that has metaphoric, allegoric, or any other deep, meaning
    So, I am guessing bears hated "Animal Farm" ?
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Country
    Country Flag

no, they didn't hate it. They found it shallow, superficial, and altogether not a worthy literary achievement, though. That's what inevitably happens when an author tries to write something that is more than "just fiction" - it comes out less. Especially when he doesn't know shit of what he is writing about, and makes it purely speculative.

Any entertaining story honestly told has all kinds of deep meanings; if the author is talented and true, he can't help it. (this is, I believe, what Stuttering Bill was trying to get through to his Creative Writing class, where everyone insisted on Deep Allegories). Thus, path - no, we're not actually opposite here, yet again. The deep meaning that may not be there in fact is there, only more so if the author didn't endeavor to thrust it upon you.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I must say, I agree totally about Animal Farm.

When someone is trying to hard to make a point, and completely misses the boat, leaving the reader scratching their head and thinking they wasted their time, that's never good either.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ... (Bears) found (Animal Farm) shallow, superficial, and altogether not a worthy literary achievement, though. That's what inevitably happens when an author tries to write something that is more than "just fiction" - it comes out less. Especially when he doesn't know shit of what he is writing about, and makes it purely speculative. ...
    Animal Farm?! Orwell didn't know shit? Beg pardon; I still think we ARE actually opposite.

Country
    Country Flag

it's our background and experience, both historical and personal. Don't you know if there is any Animal Farm thread around? I really would like to know what appeals to you in it. Even 1984 is better (marginally)

My Mood
    Worried

Most of what we call classic American literature is shit, actually, in my fine opinion.

Country
    Country Flag

want to start a thread?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Those are some heavy words Jean. Orwell is a classic for a reason. I realize those books might not do much for an adult with a lot of life experience, but to some high school kid, the writting and subject matter is some next level shit. To me, even at 32, 1984 is incredible. Just look around you, you'll see why that book is more relevant than ever. The big brother IS watching you.

1984 > animal farm.

P.S. I still need to read 'We' which was supposedly inspiration for 1984? I might be wrong though.

+ Reply to Thread