Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

First time I tried reading The Fellowship was in high school. It was also in Croatian. I gave up then and I have to admit, I'm close to quitting now. All that singing was charming at first but now it's getting on my nerves. I'll keep it at in hopes there's a payoff at the end.

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Keep going!

The songs can kind of get in the way sometimes but I find them harmless on re-reads. I was impatient to get through the story the first time!
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

No internet, no tv, no texting, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Man, singing was all they had!

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    No internet, no tv, no texting, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Man, singing was all they had!
    And plenty of ale!

No wonder they sang all the time.
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

pipeweed!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Dude, we all know that the Lord of the Rings provided the inspiration for every single stoner/road trip movie ever: two guys who smoke a lot of weed without shoes or a car have to walk a huge distance because they knicked some geezer's ring and have really pissed him off as a result. Along the way, they meet a weird guy who loves to fight in a bar (ok, pub), hang out with some posh dudes before one of them tags along, meet an angry dwarf, and then some weird, disgusting, mega skinny junkie, along the way singing their arses off and being lead by some hippie who thinks he's a "wizard". It's the greatest stoner story ever written!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default HMMMM

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Dude, we all know that the Lord of the Rings provided the inspiration for every single stoner/road trip movie ever: two guys who smoke a lot of weed without shoes or a car have to walk a huge distance because they knicked some geezer's ring and have really pissed him off as a result. Along the way, they meet a weird guy who loves to fight in a bar (ok, pub), hang out with some posh dudes before one of them tags along, meet an angry dwarf, and then some weird, disgusting, mega skinny junkie, along the way singing their arses off and being lead by some hippie who thinks he's a "wizard". It's the greatest stoner story ever written!

HMMMMM.... You may have something.

thought this was kinda funny.

http://www.teefury.com/

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post

HMMMMM.... You may have something.

thought this was kinda funny.

http://www.teefury.com/
    I actually bought that this morning. It's sad that my Teefury collection might soon need it's own dresser!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

I think it's time for a Tolkien re-read.

I have a couple of books about the Beatles to get through first, then I promised a certain bear that I would read pet Semetary, then it's time to revisit middle Earth.

I've just thought; How many 'companion' books to the series do people own?

By that I mean anything to do with Tolkien really. I have:

A Readers Companion by Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull
    The Children Of Hurin
    The Silmarillion
    Unfinished tales
    The Road Goes On And Ever On by Brian Sibley
    There And Back Again by Brian Sibley
    A Biography by Humphrey Carpenter
    The Letters by Humphrey Carpenter
    The Road To Middle Earth by Tom Shippey
    The Complete Companion by J.E.A. Tyler
    The History of Middle Earth by Christopher Tolkien
    The Atlas Of Middle Earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad
    Plus various visual companions to the films and ' The Frodo Franchise' but I can't remember the authors as they are in the loft!

Red Cloud

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think I've posted this. I picked up this Pocket Hobbit a while ago. It's really cute.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

"Printed in China" ???

John

Country
    Country Flag

I know, what's up with that?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I doubt it's a pirated edition (or else they wouldn't have put "Printed in China" on it) but it IS strange.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Centipede prints at least some of their books in China and so do a lot of comic book publishers. Keeping the cost down.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I hadda go and check my copies quick!!! Luckily all printed in the UK!!!

Handsome edition though, Becca
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

I bought it in a retail book store.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I bought it in a retail book store.
    I have a few of those as well. I have a weakness for the 4 books. I usually buy a copy every time they trot out a w/e "anniversary" edition. They are very handsome productions usually. My wife finally made me stop, but now I have an excuse to go get one for Merlin IV!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking forward to this edition if they stop changing the release date.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Facsi...it+anniversary
    Mark Twain

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mine was printed in the UK and it doesn't have that gold seal on the front - it came with a belly band. (Is that what you call it?)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    I'm looking forward to this edition if they stop changing the release date.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Facsi...it+anniversary
    I'm on it for "Merlin IV"!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i own a hardback edition of the LoTR trilogy and the only bit of the appendix my copy has is Of Aragorn and Arwen

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fearless-freak View Post
    i own a hardback edition of the LoTR trilogy and the only bit of the appendix my copy has is Of Aragorn and Arwen
    Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why, but that seems to be the "Staple".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Some German, not so easy to find small size Tolkien books from my
    Tolkien collection.

J.R.R. Tolkien
    Lieder der Hobbits

3 book set, slipcased

J.R.R. Tolkien
    Briefe an den Weihnachtsmann

3 book set, slipcased