Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Nice. Where did you get them? And of course, you must open them and report what you have! I'm most interested in that Beren
    Wow, Becca. Sorry I somehow missed this reply from 2 months ago!

I got them from a variety of sources, but mostly bookdepository and ABE. I don't usually buy from bookdepository much because their packaging SUCKS, but these volumes arrived with no damage, luckily. Prices were between $50-80 with free shipping. Likely these are the most recent printings, so nothing very collectible; just nice books to own and read.

Incidentally, I now have the whole set except Fall of Arthur, and have opened and enjoyed them. Man, they are nice editions! I'll go through them and list the printings I have in a future post.

(What is it with Fall of Arthur? The only copies I've seen are astronomically priced. Was there only one printing done?)

HBJ
    I'm interested to see what printing Beren might be?? As far as Arthur, I bought a remarqued/signed copy which was pricey so not sure but it's possible it's only been in one printing.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Becca, my copy of Beren and Lúthien is a third printing.

My other copies are:

The Hobbit: unspecified
    Lord of the Rings: 11th
    The Silmarillion: 6th
    Unfinished Tales: 5th
    The Children of Húrin: 6th
    Perilous Realm: 3rd
    Sigurd and Gudrún: 3rd
    Beowulf: 1st
    The Story of Kullervo: 1st
    Beren and Lúthien: 3rd
    The Fall of Gondolin: 1st

I know I said I didn't care about printings, but I am quite pleased to have a first printing of Beowulf. And of Gondolin, too - I'm almost tempted to try to get first printings of the other two Great Tales to complete the set. But I think I'll stick with what I have.

I don't really have any collectible Tolkien, as such, but I do have some nice trade copies - a hardcover set of the U.K. Editions of The History of Middle Earth, for example, although again, not all first printings.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Becca, my copy of Beren and Lúthien is a third printing.

My other copies are:

The Hobbit: unspecified
    Lord of the Rings: 11th
    The Silmarillion: 6th
    Unfinished Tales: 5th
    The Children of Húrin: 6th
    Perilous Realm: 3rd
    Sigurd and Gudrún: 3rd
    Beowulf: 1st
    The Story of Kullervo: 1st
    Beren and Lúthien: 3rd
    The Fall of Gondolin: 1st

I know I said I didn't care about printings, but I am quite pleased to have a first printing of Beowulf. And of Gondolin, too - I'm almost tempted to try to get first printings of the other two Great Tales to complete the set. But I think I'll stick with what I have.

I don't really have any collectible Tolkien, as such, but I do have some nice trade copies - a hardcover set of the U.K. Editions of The History of Middle Earth, for example, although again, not all first printings.
    That's awesome about Beowulf and Kullervo. You got a deal! I'm still looking for Beren and Children 1sts, so I will keep on that. And I never got LOTR in this edition so if I find a nicely priced one, I might get that too.

I have the newer title releases (from Arthur onward) of UK trade books in 1st prints and signed by Alan Lee. Other than that I have some newer releases of The Hobbit and UK firsts of Farmer Giles and The Simarillion.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Wow, signed first printings? That's fantastic. You must be so pleased! I have Harpercollins hardcovers of all the recent publications, from Húrin onward, but none signed.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, signed first printings? That's fantastic. You must be so pleased! I have Harpercollins hardcovers of all the recent publications, from Húrin onward, but none signed.
    Thanks to a certain member here, I was able to get a 1st print Beren!

Now just need Children of Hurin 1st and then I guess I should try for LOTR in this edition. And that will complete my set. (There is a lovely Christopher Tolkien/Alan Lee signed copy, but it is super pricey! I must resist.)

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Now just need Children of Hurin 1st and then I guess I should try for LOTR in this edition. And that will complete my set. (There is a lovely Christopher Tolkien/Alan Lee signed copy, but it is super pricey! I must resist.)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    That's me for literally like 500 things I've seen through this site.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Congrats, Becca! Well done!

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    That's me for literally like 500 things I've seen through this site.
    This has to be one of my favorite scenes in a movie (and a favorite movie too)!

John F. Kennedy Sulla has a spectacular aura about Sulla has a spectacular aura about

Congratulations, becca!

Traveler Darkstar is on a distinguished road

Hello! You still got "The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun" HarperCollins Deluxe edition? I'd like to buy it!

In case anyone missed it, the deluxe hardcover edition of letters from father Christmas was released in the UK yesterday. Copies should be readily available from the usual suspects.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Letters-Fat...dp/0008327726/

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

In case anyone missed it, the deluxe hardcover edition of letters from father Christmas was released in the UK yesterday. Copies should be readily available from the usual suspects.

Thanks, just grabbed one!

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you and ordered
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't even realize that I wanted that. Apparently I did.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

I must say, the design is utterly charming.

Edited to add: Oh, by the way, a few months ago, a second printing of the Deluxe edition of The Fall of Arthur was published, so it's easier to find now. The second printing leaves a bit to be desired when compared to the first, though - I think the colour is a bit different, and the spine lettering isn't where it should be. I bought a copy anyhow, but am still looking for a first printing.

Ilium (Simmons)

Well, I’m quite pleased. I managed to find a Perilous Realm Deluxe first printing (with the three colour stamping) online for less than cover price. It’s now part of my set.

Ilium (Simmons)

My deluxe Letters from Father Christmas arrived today, and I must say, it's a lovely little book. The design is utterly charming, and it's full of colour plates showing the original letter pages. The whole book is printed on heavy paper stock, and while the boards and siipcase are consistent with other volumes in the series, there are a few unique touches. Well worth getting, in my opinion.

(A first printing, too, which you'd expect).

Spoiler:

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's beautiful, thanks for sharing! Too bad I only collect the Middle Earth-related deluxe editions.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice, congrats. For crappy photos of it, see me thread hehe.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Sorry, another post from me and then I'll stop spamming the thread.

I recently picked up a first printing of the Deluxe Tales from the Perilous Realm, and I thought I'd post a couple of pics showing the differences between the first and later printings. The first printing is on the left.

The obvious difference is the three- versus one-colour foil stamping on the book. Both slipcases have single-colour stamping. But the first printing boards are a slightly darker green; the later printing (a third printing, here) is more grey-green.

As far as I can tell, the contents are identical. The lettering on the spine also looks to be very close in size and alignment (although the later printing slipcase looks a tad taller.

(I should mention that my first printing is second-hand, and has a few minor condition problems, but otherwise is looks unread. Very happy to have it).

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

John Ronald Reuel would have been proud of you.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My deluxe Letters from Father Christmas arrived today, and I must say, it's a lovely little book. The design is utterly charming, and it's full of colour plates showing the original letter pages. The whole book is printed on heavy paper stock, and while the boards and siipcase are consistent with other volumes in the series, there are a few unique touches. Well worth getting, in my opinion.

(A first printing, too, which you'd expect).

HBJ
    It's a beautiful little book.

Mine arrived with a damaged slipcase. I went through their return process requesting a replacement. They have already shipped the replacement. The only problem with the whole thing is that they will only recompense £8.05 for the return shipping. That is $10.32 at today exchange rate. USPS shipping rate to the UK for the book is $22. So I'm out $12 because they sent me a dinged book.

Country
    Country Flag

Mine came dinged too. I just figure it's the cost of buying from UK. I would worry the replacement might not be a 1st print, so I'm just letting it go.

Country
    Country Flag

Mine came dinged too. I just figure it's the cost of buying from UK. I would worry the replacement might not be a 1st print, so I'm just letting it go.
    The "cardboard" they shipped it in isn't much good. I think it might have been shipped already dinged though since the box doesn't appear damaged in that area. I'll wait to return this one until the new one show up. I'll keep the best slipcase and the first print book.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast