Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    No contacts for me, just the internet! Hahaha

But thanks! I'm proud of my growing Tolkien collection.
    Are you on ebay only or do you scoure other sources
    Abebooks.com as well

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A book has been released with the 100 unpublished illustrations from Tolkien for The Hobbit!
    >>> https://www.brainpickings.org/2011/1...ampaign=buffer

In October of 1936, J.R.R. Tolkien (January 3, 1892–September 2, 1973) delivered to his publisher the manuscript of what would become one of the most celebrated fantasy books of all time. In September of the following year, The Hobbit made its debut, with 20 or so original drawings, two maps, and a cover painting by Tolkien himself. But it turns out the author created more than 100 illustrations, recently uncovered amidst Tolkien’s papers, digitized by Oxford’s Bodleian Library, and freshly released in The Art of the Hobbit (public library) — a magnificent volume celebrating the 75th anniversary of The Hobbit with 110 beautiful, many never-before-seen illustrations by Tolkien, ranging from pencil sketches to ink line drawings to watercolors. It’s a fine addition to this omnibus of famous creators’ little-known talents, and a priceless piece of literary history.

------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Published September 18 2012 according to the Amazon listing:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0547928254/
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Nice first edition of The Hobbit. Someone here should jump on this.

http://www.lwcurrey.com/pages/books/...and-back-again

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

Actually, if memory serves, that is rather cheap compared to another fairly recent sale, no?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Actually, if memory serves, that is rather cheap compared to another fairly recent sale, no?
    If you are talking about Gerald's (neo_trinity) copy it did sell for much, much more but it was inscribed by Tolkein on or before the publication date and was thought to be unique in that respect. I don't keep up much with this author so I don't know about recent sales of unsigned copies. Currey's list prices seem to be at or above the high end of prices so I suspect this one is no bargain.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

If you are talking about Gerald's (neo_trinity) copy it did sell for much, much more but it was inscribed by Tolkein on or before the publication date and was thought to be unique in that respect. I don't keep up much with this author so I don't know about recent sales of unsigned copies. Currey's list prices seem to be at or above the high end of prices so I suspect this one is no bargain.

Ahh, yes. I had forgotten about the signature. That put the sale at around 200K or something, yes? Thanks, Bob.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ahh, yes. I had forgotten about the signature. That put the sale at around 200K or something, yes? Thanks, Bob.
    I believe that it went for 146K or so
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

I believe that it went for 146K or so

Ahh, what's 54k between friends? LOL LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

I have purchased from this specific seller (very recently even) and had zero issues and was very communicative and friendly.

I bought "pricey" books to the common person, but this price is obviously huge, so do your due diligence of course.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post

I have purchased from this specific seller (very recently even) and had zero issues and was very communicative and friendly.

I bought "pricey" books to the common person, but this price is obviously huge, so do your due diligence of course.
    Yes, Lloyd is the consummate book seller, IMO. Very knowledgeable, professional, honest. Everything you would want in a bookseller. I've bought many books from him, too, over the years. Nothing like this, of course, but many excellent items that are still treasures in my collection.

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

I still have a few of his catalogs, tucked away somewhere. I think he got more of my money than any one person back then. A pleasure to deal with, but this HOBBIT is out of my league.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thought I would temporarily come out of posting retirement to mention this for any Tolkien fans in the Midwest.

Marquette University in Milwaukee, which houses the original manuscripts of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, has posted their public showings schedule for 2017.
    The collection's curator will show selected original manuscripts from the collection.

There is no charge, but there are only 6 viewings during the year and each is capped at approximately 25 people.
    No photography, and no children under the age of 10.

Dates and sign up info are available on their site here:
    http://www.marquette.edu/library/news/JRRTshowings.php

I'm going to the July showing.
    Mark Twain

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Thought I would temporarily come out of posting retirement to mention this for any Tolkien fans in the Midwest.

Marquette University in Milwaukee, which houses the original manuscripts of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, has posted their public showings schedule for 2017.
    The collection's curator will show selected original manuscripts from the collection.

There is no charge, but there are only 6 viewings during the year and each is capped at approximately 25 people.

Wow. How cool. I had zero idea that these monumental original manuscripts were housed here (in the US)! What a cool opportunity.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That is mighty cool! That's going to be on my bucket list now.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post

Did you notice your posting time?
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A new Middle Earth-related deluxe book has been published and it's on its way to me from Amazon UK:

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

HarperCollins never did have much creativity when it comes to their books... But that is a great story. Kinda the prequel to Aragorn and Arwen

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You don't like the design? I have all the ME-related deluxe editions and they look great together on the shelf! And feel great in the hands.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I also like the HC deluxe designs: simple but classic.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

The design is is very classic just wish they had gone a little above with the materials. It's just a paper on paper boards in a slipcase. if you take the dust jacket of just about any trade book you have the same thing. They just added a stamp to the front and a case. Unless I am missing something I don't see the additional cost. (Given the website gives no details as to if they are sewn bindings etc)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I agree that they didn't quite go above and beyond on materials, and the price point isn't quite where I think it should be. But, I do like them.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

While I don't generally collect these Tolkien "Deluxe" editions- I did get a Children of Hurin when it came out, and am waiting on a Beren & Luthien. I don't need all of the deluxe editions- just my own personal sense of the "essential" ones. I do really like the Children of Hurin edition I have. If I'm not mistaken (don't have it to hand at the moment), they are printed on much better paper than the trade editions.. Also, isn't there usually a frontispiece that isn't in the trades..?

In any case- really looking forward to Beren & Luthien- one of the best parts of The Silmarillion, imo.

Ron

Gunslinger Apprentice ym2000 will become famous soon enough ym2000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really hope they will do a Limited Signed version of the new book to match these babies:
    http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/978...nd+Gudr%C3%BAn
    Looking To Buy:

Wandering Star:
    Savage Tales Of Solomon Kane - leather

SubPress:
    Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - Letter V ( will trade for PC +cash)
    Neal Stephenson’ Cryptomonicon and Zodiac - Letter O

My Book Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast