Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I don't personally know, but this may be a valuable tool:

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules...m.php?forum=12
    Thanks! Cool place over there that I hadn't seen before..

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes i can confirm that they do, and i was surprised myself as i thought they where actually limited, what they are not.
    From the 12 i do have (just bought the last 2) are 2x6th, 1x5th , 1x3th , 6x1st , 1x 13th ;D (Guess what the 13th is - haha) and one that is not declared. I guess its a first but cant say for sure.

BUT, it is quite hard to find them as first, due to the fact that they are all shrink wrapped and sellers refuse to open. Believe me i tried ;D
    There is no way to spot the printing without opening it. Thats why i decided that in this case i dont focus in the first, it would be a lot of try and error (buy and selling) to get them all first.

2nd. BUT
    check out: http://www.tolkienshop.com/contents/en-uk/d23_01.html
    they sell dedicated firsts. I just bought a first Arthur from them for a little extra.

I checked for you and it could be your lucky day, depending on your budget.
    They do have a dedicated first Hurin, signed by Allan Lee , but its expensive.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

One thing to watch for: the earliest printing(s) of Tales From the Perilous Realm had 2-color (red & gold) foil stamped on the book, but later printings were only gold foil.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    One thing to watch for: the earliest printing(s) of Tales From the Perilous Realm had 2-color (red & gold) foil stamped on the book, but later printings were only gold foil.
    I just checked mine as I was sure mine was a 1st and the foil stamp is actually 3 color - gold, silver and red.

Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also, I have a 2nd print Simarillion, 3rd print Children of Húrin, Hobbit doesn't have a designation, 1st print Arthur, 1st print Sigurd and Gundrún, and 1st print Fall of Gondolin.

Does anyone know if Beren and Lúthien might still be in a 1st printing as I didn't get that one on release??

Also still looking for Beowulf, Kullervo, Unfinished Tales in 1st prints.

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

My Beren is a third - so newer copies won’t be firsts - sorry

But try Rene - he has a lot of firsts for sale

Country
    Country Flag

Default J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Just unpacked a new fellow moving in

Only one missing

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I just checked mine as I was sure mine was a 1st and the foil stamp is actually 3 color - gold, silver and red.
    Hell yes, gorgeous.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post

He had a Kullervo, score!

Gunslinger Apprentice ruderabbit will become famous soon enough ruderabbit's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I have found that I have an extra copy of The Hobbit, Folio Society, leatherbound, slipcased, Numbered _ of 1750(can't recall the number at the moment).

The book and slipcase both would grade nearfine plus. The leather and silk that they used does not lend itself to fine or very fine grade.

The book is likely unread, and was described that way when I purchased it.

I would like $380 for it, that will also cover Priority Shipping in the US, and extra $35 for overseas shipping.

~Mark

Country
    Country Flag

He had a Kullervo, score!
    That is awesome!
    I’m happy that you could close a gap

Country
    Country Flag

I found Beowulf 1st print from Abe. So down to Beren and Unfinished Tales, and then maybe trying to replace Children. Simarillion is almost impossible as it had a very small first print and was super expensive ($600) back when I bought the 2nd printing. I also don’t have LOTR because I preferred the gray/black edition that was released a while ago.

Gunslinger Apprentice ruderabbit will become famous soon enough ruderabbit's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Any interest in these Tolkien. LOTR and SILMARILLION were both purchased from U.K. In February 2015, the others that summer. The three book hardcover boxset has never been opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    Country Flag

I found Beowulf 1st print from Abe. So down to Beren and Unfinished Tales, and then maybe trying to replace Children. Simarillion is almost impossible as it had a very small first print and was super expensive ($600) back when I bought the 2nd printing. I also don’t have LOTR because I preferred the gray/black edition that was released a while ago.
    Hey Becca, do you know the print run of the Simarillion ? Its 1000 1/1 correct ?
    And congrats to the Beowulf !!

Country
    Country Flag

Hey Becca, do you know the print run of the Simarillion ? Its 1000 1/1 correct ?
    And congrats to the Beowulf !!
    Thanks. Got lucky and the seller actually checked and sent a photo. I want to say the print run was actually smaller than that but I don’t remember now. It is somewhere between 500-1000, I’m pretty sure.

Country
    Country Flag

I have a new indicator for a first.
    Beren 1st are darker green
    The later once are brighter

BTW i sell a Beren and a Shrink wrapped Sigurd & Gudrun I have got as a present

Pm if you want one

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Country
    Country Flag

Pm if you want one

Is your Beren a 1st or later? And interesting on the color variance.

Country
    Country Flag

Pm if you want one

Is your Beren a 1st or later? And interesting on the color variance.
    Right one is a first -
    Left is a third ( for sale )

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. I'm looking for a 1st. Need to get this and Unfinished Tales. And then try to replace Children of Hurin.

BTW - I think the green paper is a different color on later printings of Tales from the Perilous Realm too. My 1st looks darker than your photo (unless you have a 1st and it's just the lighting).

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Becca, are you looking for a Deluxe "Hurin" Harper Collins or Houghton Mifflin 1st? I have a HM (US) 1st that I'll be parting with. Still need to find a HC at a good price..

Country
    Country Flag

I'd prefer HC but would consider HM - depending on the price.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

All these volumes look so amazing, and I love the books themselves ... but I *can't* afford to start collecting them, even if I could find them. I just can't.

Thanks you all for posting your photos of them. You've made an old man very envious.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. I'm looking for a 1st. Need to get this and Unfinished Tales. And then try to replace Children of Hurin.

BTW - I think the green paper is a different color on later printings of Tales from the Perilous Realm too. My 1st looks darker than your photo (unless you have a 1st and it's just the lighting).
    My tales is quite bright - that’s a 3rd
    Not comparable in color with the others

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    All these volumes look so amazing, and I love the books themselves ... but I *can't* afford to start collecting them, even if I could find them. I just can't.

Thanks you all for posting your photos of them. You've made an old man very envious.

HBJ
    Can give you a real good deal on two of them

Country
    Country Flag

My tales is quite bright - that’s a 3rd
    Not comparable in color with the others

The photo I posted above is pretty accurate so I do think they are a different color.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast