Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It is a quirky thing, that HC only did "super deluxe" editions of Sigurd and Gudrun and Children of Hurin (no such editions of The Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion), but they are quite special.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    It is a quirky thing, that HC only did "super deluxe" editions of Sigurd and Gudrun and Children of Hurin (no such editions of The Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion), but they are quite special.
    I'm just guessing, but that's probably because the two you mention were Signed Limited Editions, able to be signed by the (living) editior: Christopher Tolkien. He didn't have a real hand in the "Big Three"...

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Received my Beren and Luthien deluxe on Friday. Worst packaging on a $100 book I've ever seen:

Needless to say- I was less than pleased and let them know right away. They insisted on seeing photos before replacing it. Waiting to hear back.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Received my Beren and Luthien deluxe on Friday. Worst packaging on a $100 book I've ever seen:

Needless to say- I was less than pleased and let them know right away. They insisted on seeing photos before replacing it. Waiting to hear back.
    Where did you order from?
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

oh crap - is this going to a waterstones fiasco all over again - i got my signed copy of the regular edition (which is sold out) on order from them. Haven't they learned anything about packing a book???
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

My Mood
    Relaxed

I ordered from the Official Shop: http://www.tolkien.co.uk/index.html. First time. May be the last...

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

oh dang - that really sucks.. btw book depository had them (I think) and the price was better than waterstones - and they seem to be able to do delivery right
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Thought I would temporarily come out of posting retirement to mention this for any Tolkien fans in the Midwest.

Marquette University in Milwaukee, which houses the original manuscripts of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, has posted their public showings schedule for 2017.
    The collection's curator will show selected original manuscripts from the collection.

There is no charge, but there are only 6 viewings during the year and each is capped at approximately 25 people.
    No photography, and no children under the age of 10.

Dates and sign up info are available on their site here:
    http://www.marquette.edu/library/news/JRRTshowings.php

I'm going to the July showing.
    I attended the manuscript viewing yesterday in Milwaukee and the curator had some choice pieces on display for us.

Highlights included:

The first set of page proofs for The Hobbit, with JRRT's hand written rewrite of the last page.
    The only existing final page proofs of the Hobbit. The first blank page inside the cover included JRRT's handwritten list of people he was considering sending his 10 copies of the book to. It was amusing to see the process of elimination through a couple of rounds. C.S. Lewis was crossed off of the list, because he was already getting a copy for doing a review of the book.

Tolkein's original ink and watercolor concept painting for The Hobbit's dust jacket artwork.

Early hand written drafts of several pages of The Hobbit, including some in which Gandalf was used as the name of the character that eventually became Thorin.

The very first sketch of the mountain and what eventually became the map for The Hobbit.

Early draft pages that featured Bilbo killing Smaug and then riding a golden bowl through a river of Smaug's blood.

The archive has over 1500 pages of material for The Hobbit, so this was just a small sampling.

For The Lord of the Rings, there are over 9,000 pages spanning the 17 years between the time that Tolkein started work on the book and its publishing.

Highlighted pieces included:

Preliminary plot outline/brainstorm pages.
    Tolkein had a habit of writing his notes as questions. One of these was so early that he was literally asking himself why the dark lord wanted the ring.
    He came back later in additional pencil notes and answered with his initial conception of the One Ring and it's power.
    Pretty cool to see that initial idea generation documented, possibly as it happened.

A typewritten manuscript page from very early in the book with many hand notes and a large section bracketed. The bracket points to the name Sam Gamgee handwritten on the side. According to the curator, this is the first mention of Sam anywhere and documents the inception of the character.

Manuscript pages for the Epilogue to LOTR, set 15 years after Sam's return to the Shire. This was not published during JRRT's lifetime, but has been since. Also a part of this is the letter from Aragorn to Sam declaring that he will visit. The letter is completely handwritten in Elvish by Tolkein and design to look like it came from a scroll sent by Gondor.

Draft pages from the encounter with the rider near Bree. In this version the rider is Gandalf. Handwritten edits on the page rewrite this and change it to the black riders, though he had not yet conceived of them as the Nazgul yet.

2 or 3 prelim drawings for the entrance to Moria, as well as the final artwork.

There was quite a bit more, but I can't remember everything right now.
    If you are in the area and have the chance to go, do it.

Next year there will be an exhibition at Oxford with some of the pieces housed there, as well as a few from Marquette.
    That will then travel to New York the following year.
    Mark Twain

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll definitely go when it makes its way to New York. Any idea around when?

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So I picked up a Houghton & Mifflin 1965 Second Edition (12th, 11th, 11th prints) slipcased set this weekend for $80. Just wondering if these have some value. Books and slipcase are in VG+ condition, all dust jackets have spine fade and some chipping. All maps present. Will get some photos when I have a chance.

I found what looks like the same edition here but not sure if this is a realistic price?
    https://www.biblio.com/book/lord-rin...oaArxEEALw_wcB

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

You probably paid correctly I've seen them from 70 to 100 based on condition. Also check that all DJ have a price. They made BCE that differ only by the dust jacket. Also location of map sometime is off. I have seen some attached to the boards and others attached to the pages. I think. They used this for export editions but can't remember off hand.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    You probably paid correctly I've seen them from 70 to 100 based on condition. Also check that all DJ have a price. They made BCE that differ only by the dust jacket. Also location of map sometime is off. I have seen some attached to the boards and others attached to the pages. I think. They used this for export editions but can't remember off hand.
    I know 2 are attached to boards and one is attached to page. Will have to look for price.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://nerdist.com/j-r-r-tolkien-bo...-gondolin-new/
    Though he passed away 45 years ago, the world is luckily not in any shortage of works by J.R.R. Tolkien. Just last week we told you details about Amazon’s historic (and expensive) bid for the series rights to The Lord of the Rings saga, and now we have news that we’ll be getting a brand new–err, brand old, I guess–Tolkien book to add to our shelves. As The Guardian reports, a long-unfinished, very early Tolkien story has been edited by his son Christopher Tolkien for publication in 2018. It’s called The Fall of Gondolin and it details one of Middle-earth’s oldest and most important legends.

Tolkien once called the fable about the mysterious and beautiful city of Gondolin’s downfall at the hands of dark forces the first “real story” in his Lord of the Rings universe. He wrote it while in hospital recovering from wounds suffered in World War I’s Battle of Somme, in 1916, 102 years ago for people counting. Christopher Tolkien, who is now 93 himself, said last year’s publication of Beren and Luthien would be “(presumptively) my last book in the long series of editions of my father’s writings.” Not so, it would appear!

John Garth, author of Tolkien and the Great War, said of The Fall of Gondolin: “It’s a quest story with a reluctant hero who turns into a genuine hero – it’s a template for everything Tolkien wrote afterwards.” He also said it featured precursors to some of the author’s greatest villains. “It has a dark lord, our first encounter with orcs and balrogs,” Garth continued. “It’s really Tolkien limbering up for what he would be doing later.”

The story follows one of the Noldor, an ancient race of elves, as he joins the fight against the evil Morgoth to stop the destruction of Gondolin, meeting up with the great sea-god Ulmo along the way. Tolkien said this story, along with Beren and Luthien and The Children of Hurin, was one of the “Great Tales” of the elder days of Middle-earth.

The book is expected to release in August and feature illustrations by the legendary The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings illustrator Alan Lee.
    Also, looks like they reprinted the complete history volumes in the same deluxe editions but I already have the earlier set. Still debating:

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

excellent
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I wonder does the history have all 12 books in it or are they just books books 6, 7, 8, and 9 which are History of of the Lord of the Rings? I have the original 12 books. This would be nice as it looks like it takes less shelf space.

Anyone read the other books Christoper has put out recently? I have yet to read any of the new ones. Are they worth it?

Country
    Country Flag

It's all 12 (or is it 13) books in three volumes.

Traveler Gil is on a distinguished road Gil's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default [SALE] The*J.R.R. Tolkien Deluxe Edition Collection limited to 100

I am selling my J.R.R. Tolkien Deluxe Edition Collection,*Includes The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, Tales of the Perilous Realm, with Original Publishers Slipcase limited to 100 pieces.
    Book Condition: UNREAD. Books and Box were never opened. Feel free to ask any questions. I also like to send photos of the set.

Description of the set by Tolkienlibrary.com (http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/tolkie.../001211.htm).*

"A fabulous*comprehensive collection of Tolkien's major works, published by Harper Collins.*
    This collection features five of their 21st Century Deluxe Slipcased Editions, apparently limited to only 100 sets,*released in 2012.
    Their previous*collection only contained four of the slipcased editions.

This set includes the Harper Collins Deluxe Slipcased Edition of The Hobbit, the only edition to feature all 13 of Tolkien's own illustrations for the book, reproduced in full color, together with his original maps reproduced as he originally intended, but not previously achieved in nearly 70 years of publications.
    Also included is the Harper Collins 50th Anniversary Deluxe Slipcased Edition of The Lord of the Ring's, which features the pages from the Book of Mazarbul, as illustrated by J.R.R. Tolkien, which he intended for inclusion but were not used previously.
    Included as well is the Harper Collins Deluxe Slipcased Edition of the Children of Hurin, which includes a ninth color plate by Alan Lee not featured inside the*standard hardback.

Also features the Helm of Hurin, as designed by Alan Lee, gilt stamped to the exterior.
    Also included is The Harper Collins 30th Anniversary Deluxe Slipcased Edition of The Silmarillion.
    The newly reset edition feature's Tolkien's, 'The Halls of Manwe', as the full color frontispiece, with the slipcase gilt*stamped with the heraldic symbol he designed to represent Luthien.

This edition also includes Christopher Tolkien's two color maps, including a fold out map of Beleriand, and as a Preface, Tolkien's original letter of 1951 containing his account of the mythology of Middle-Earth.*
    Also included is the Tales of the Perilous Realm, a new collection that draws together for the first time Roverandom, Farmer Giles of Ham, The adventures of Tom Bombadil, Smith of Wootton Major, and Leaf by Niggle, together with the landmark essay, 'On Fairy-stories', all fully reset and corrected for this edit"

My Mood
    Relaxed

Does anyone have any knowledge of later printings of the "deluxe" Tolkien editions? Specifically, The Children of Hurin and Beren & Luthien. Also, vis-a-vie Harper Collins & Houghten Mifflin. Was wondering if there are only one printing of these and can't seem to find anything online.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I don't personally know, but this may be a valuable tool:

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules...m.php?forum=12
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

My Fall of Gondolin deluxe arrived from Amazon UK yesterday, haven't had a chance to unbox yet but apparently it's actually a different design from above:

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I'm really looking forward to this book. It's sad that this is the most incomplete of the three great tales, because I thought it was one of the most fascinating. But having all the writings in one place will be cool.

(I'm secretly hoping Christopher stumbled across some new material since HoME)
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Does anyone have any knowledge of later printings of the "deluxe" Tolkien editions? Specifically, The Children of Hurin and Beren & Luthien. Also, vis-a-vie Harper Collins & Houghten Mifflin. Was wondering if there are only one printing of these and can't seem to find anything online.
    What particular do you want to know ?

They indeed do more then one print run
    Some of mine are 5th

But as far as i see they don’t do them at the same time

Fall of Arthur f.e. Was not printed for quite some time but will come November 19

This is the hardest to get.

All others are doable if you look around a little.

Fall of Gondolin is in the press now

In total it’s 12 by today (if you don’t count the leather editions)

Country
    Country Flag

I've only been collecting the Middle Earth volumes. Is it worth getting the non-ME deluxe volumes as well?

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I've only been collecting the Middle Earth volumes. Is it worth getting the non-ME deluxe volumes as well?
    I really love the set, it’s beautiful and everybody should have the 12 books

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post
    What particular do you want to know ?

They indeed do more then one print run
    Some of mine are 5th

But as far as i see they don’t do them at the same time

Fall of Arthur f.e. Was not printed for quite some time but will come November 19

This is the hardest to get.

All others are doable if you look around a little.

Fall of Gondolin is in the press now

In total it’s 12 by today (if you don’t count the leather editions)

Thanks. Your comments are the first evidence that I can find of later printings of these Deluxe editions, but, I've suspected that they do them because the books seem to remain in print- even though they are designated as "limited" on the flyers that are shrink-wrapped with them.

Basically, once I received The Fall oF Gondolin, I took down both Beren & Luthien and Children of Hurin (deluxe ed's) to admire the uniformity of this special, posthumous Tolkien First Age Trilogy, and was surprised to see that my "Hurin" stood out because it was a US Houghton Mifflin edition, as opposed to the other two, which were both Harper Collins. This is messing with the (small amount of) Book OCD that I have, and I now need to find a Harper Collins Deluxe "Hurin". But- I can't just nab any copy off the net because- later printings! Need to find a first printing, and that has proven difficult to make sure of. Especially a "new" wrapped copy. If anyone has or spots one, I'd be most appreciative...

Ron

p.s. Speaking of OCD.. also looking for a UK "Hurin" trade edition- signed by Alan Lee...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast