Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The collectible Tim Powers

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

It is a truly great time travel novel, and has always been in my top 5 list of ANY novels I've read (his wonderful Pirate book, On Stranger Tides is also squeezed into that short list!). But, these things are SO subjective. Especially with Powers, who isn't "horror" at all (although there are certainly horrific moments in his books- and a lot of us folks who love horror seem to like him), but more of an alternate history, arcane secrets, adventure fiction kind of writer. The bottom line is it is pretty universally praised as a "great" book- the question is do you like that sort of fiction? If the "flap copy" description interests you at all- you'll more than likely dig it because it's extremely well done. If it sounds weird, or dull to you- you might not.

I will say that in this market where virtually EVERYTHING comes out in an expensive "Limited Edition"- this is the rare book that actually deserves it. But, I come at these things differently from most of the people on this site who mostly seem to covet the rarity of these items- I am only interested in the beauty of the object (the more copies the better, imo), and the story inside, of course. I am overjoyed that one of the best reads ever is being produced in what appears to be one of the best looking books ever done.

Hey, if you don't like- you can probably at least make your money back on it someday!

Ron

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

It sounds really interesting... I do like time travel novels (I'm a fan of Outlander, although that is also romance) and I like stories other than horror too. I love books for their design, art and content of course... if it's rare, that's just a bonus. This book is just calling to me for some reason.

BTW - The closest I've come to Tim Powers is the Pirates movie which I know is "loosely" based on the novel - LOL
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought it sounded interesting when it was first announced, but I wasn't familiar with him except knowing about the lettered "last Call". Bought the cheapo paperback and was hooked. So ordered Cenetipede's Anubis and have being slowing picking his others when they pop up for a reasonable price, like when SP sold a bunch half price.

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll chime in to also state that I also consider The Anubis Gates to be one of the best books I've ever read. Swintek's description above is spot-on. You'll either love it or you'll think it's weird. I mostly love Powers's stuff, though a couple of them haven't worked for me. But The Anubis Gates is definitely his best, IMO.

Unfortunately, that's a lot of money, even for such a pretty book, so I won't be getting it. My upper limit for how much I'll spend on a book seems to keep rising, but this edition is still almost twice as much as I've ever spent on a book. It looks like it's worth it, I just can't justify it....

Hunter

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

I also would say, that Powers Anubis is one of the best book i read, even in german translation. I am really looking forward to the limited edition...

Then i own all key-books, first US-HC, first UK-HC, first US-SC, first UK-SC, first limited, signed, ....

Traveler vbull is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Don't know if any of you received their copy of Anubis Gates from Centipede but I found these pictures on a Facebook page from a dealer in Tasmania... Can't wait for my copy to arrive

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2855574&type=3

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There are also pictures posted at Sub Press. Very impressive indeed!

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Don't know if any of you received their copy of Anubis Gates from Centipede but I found these pictures on a Facebook page from a dealer in Tasmania... Can't wait for my copy to arrive

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2855574&type=3
    Wow. I had seen the Subpress pics, but not these on FB. Thanks for posting! And, how the heck did you find elusive photos of this book on a Tasmanian Book Dealer's FB Page! Weird, and cool!

The book looks great! Of course, Jerad being Jerad- the book doesn't really look anything like the mock up he used to solicit it. This is either frustrating or exciting (or both), depending how one looks at it. Since I've grown to trust his aesthetic- I'm usually excited to see what he does with the finished product. My only concern, based on these pictures, is that I hope that the amazing illustrations are included in the book proper- as well as the separate portfolio volume. I won't be devastated if they are not, but I would prefer it.

In either case- can't wait to see this in the flesh!

Ron

Traveler vbull is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty sure all you see in those pictures you will get in the set.
    Weird thing is, that Tasmanian bookseller have posted those pictures over a month ago and stated that they showed up out of nowhere at his store (he stock Centipede books for that part of the world it seems). Probably shipped directly from the binding company instead of Jerad. Don't know where this book was made, probably not in the US.

My Mood
    Relaxed

That is surprising- his getting the book that long ago. Interesting. Thanks!

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Got mine today. OMG. Will try to post some pics later when find camera. Contractors here all day and had to move the modem thing to another room just to get back on the net.
    But book is AWESOME. As are his "ads".

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

looking forward to the pics - mine should be here soon.

Country
    Country Flag

OK. Best under displaced circumstances. But, there is a flaw on the inside cover. Guess I'll be sending Jerad a picture. Love the velvety slipcase.

Nice hologram. Who you see depends

Fatal flaw

and included some tarot card fold outs. Hmm. (and some dust jackets for other books)

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Was that damage in transit? Or something that pressed against the book causing the flaw?

My Mood
    Relaxed

Thanks for posting pics- especially under chaotic circumstances! Much appreciated for all of us dying to get a glimpse of it. Bummer about the flaw- inside front cover you say? So the endpaper? I'm sure Jerad will resolve it to your satisfaction. Let us know how that pans out. It sure looks amazing, though.

Ron

Country
    Country Flag

I love the holidays. My mother is getting me a copy for Christmas so I don't have to stress over it anymore. Looks like I've got a new collection to start... damn.

Country
    Country Flag

I hear you Becca - Anubis gates would look pretty naked all alone on the shelf. So I searched out and found some of his charnel house books for what I thought was a decent price and the sub press ones for below issue as well - so more books to add to the reading list. They should all be here before thanksgiving.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    I hear you Becca - Anubis gates would look pretty naked all alone on the shelf. So I searched out and found some of his charnel house books for what I thought was a decent price and the sub press ones for below issue as well - so more books to add to the reading list. They should all be here before thanksgiving.
    Hahahahahahaha! Go Chad!

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    Hahahahahahaha! Go Chad!

I have Anubis Gates in all necessary first editions, so this is enough Tim Powers...^^

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like Sub Press sold 200 copies and this morning there were 3 left. I wonder how many Jerad still has? Guess I'll have to wait until Christmas to see this lovely book.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I love the holidays. My mother is getting me a copy for Christmas so I don't have to stress over it anymore.
    Yeah...I'm getting socks from mine.

Anubis Gates won't be too lonely next to my triple lettered matched set (detailed pics in my collection) from SP but just lonely enough that I bought the S/L of On Stranger Tides.

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like some of the Anubis Gates slipcases have problems with the die cut and it will take a few months to correct the problem - no Christmas gift for me this year

My Mood
    Relaxed

Looks like some of the Anubis Gates slipcases have problems with the die cut and it will take a few months to correct the problem - no Christmas gift for me this year
    Becca- that is interesting. Where did you hear that about the slipcases? Does that mean that Centipede is holding up shipping half the print run or something?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Becca- that is interesting. Where did you hear that about the slipcases? Does that mean that Centipede is holding up shipping half the print run or something?
    My mother ordered it for Christmas and received an email from SubPress -

Problems with The Anubis Gates Slipcases

We've received most of our copies of the extravagant Signed, Limited Edition of Tim Powers' signature novel, The Anubis Gates.

We received an email from Jerad at Centipede Press that there was a production problem with the unique, two-part slipcases that house the limited editions. Each case has two pieces that come together to form a keyhole opening in the front.

As you can see from the image at the right, the keyhole is more than a little mis-cut. Rather than send out flawed copies, we talked to Jerad, who contacted his overseas printer to have enough correct, new slipcases made for our copies, and those he has on hand, as well.

What this means to you is that it's likely going to take another couple of months for the cases to be constructed and air freighted to us, and then a few weeks for us to ship copies to customers.

We apologize for this inconvenience, but hope you'll understand the delay, as we (and Jerad, especially) want every aspect of this limited edition to be perfect.

Best,

Bill

My Mood
    Relaxed

Wow, thanks so much for the update. I hadn't heard this. I just received my copy yesterday, as the USPS decided to send it back and forth across the country a couple times just to make it interesting. The box was a little squishy (and possibly even opened and resealed!), but the book arrived sound. I didn't get a chance to open the shrinkwrap and fully check the book out, but I will say that I did notice a slight mismatch where the die cuts meet in the slipcase. Not enough to be a big deal, but your comment did give me pause. I wonder if some were worse than others and Jerad sent out the "good" ones.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast