Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Michael Crichton

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Don't really collect Crichton, but have many of his books. Years ago I bought the gift edition of Jurassic Park. I have always wondered if the signature by Crichton on the tipped-in page is actually his or a facsimile. Anybody know?
    It is absolutely a facsimile.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's unfortunate about Preston's prose, but I suppose any unfinished manuscript would suffer that after being completed by a completely different author. I would if they may publish Crichton's original manuscript as is.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The previous book, Pirate Latitudes, read to me like an unpolished first draft. Apparently Micro was only 1/3 complete, though there were reportedly notes, research materials and an outline.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Kinda thought so. But still a nice book. Thanks.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There is a 1st edition copy of Congo in very good condition at the local used book store for $15. Is this a good price? I try to research on abebooks, but the range of prices is so vast it's hard to judge.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A couple of early Crichton paperbacks that I picked up recently. I love his early PB's.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice!

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone know what a signed Jurassic Park 1/1 would be worth? I haven't really collected him, but I love him as an author and there's a copy on eBay.... If you have any thoughts on the signature I'd appreciate that advice as well

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton US 1990, 1st Edition 1st Printing Signed, Rare ($595 BIN w/ make offer)
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    Anyone know what a signed Jurassic Park 1/1 would be worth? I haven't really collected him, but I love him as an author and there's a copy on eBay.... If you have any thoughts on the signature I'd appreciate that advice as well

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton US 1990, 1st Edition 1st Printing Signed, Rare ($595 BIN w/ make offer)
    There asking way to much. Im pretty sure that's a forgery too.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the advice sgc1999! Will pass on this one.
    Wanted:

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    Thanks for the advice sgc1999! Will pass on this one.
    NP
    If I see one at a decent price that looks legit ill let you know.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I stopped by the Half Price Books in Clayton, Missouri earlier this week and they had quite a few of the Michael Crichton first editions for sale. I can't remember if they were signed or not, but you could call them and ask. They do ship.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I stopped by the Half Price Books in Clayton, Missouri earlier this week and they had quite a few of the Michael Crichton first editions for sale. I can't remember if they were signed or not, but you could call them and ask. They do ship.
    Thanks for the tip Dan. Looks like they have a website and do have some signed first editions, but they're rather expensive. Might get in touch and try to negotiate.
    Wanted:

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't really collect Crichton, but have many of his books. Years ago I bought the gift edition of Jurassic Park. I have always wondered if the signature by Crichton on the tipped-in page is actually his or a facsimile. Anybody know?
    I recently picked up a copy of the gift edition for my son for Christmas. He has loved JP movies since he was 4 and I figured he should have the book. When I was looking at copies for sale, the signatures all had variations. I read it might be a facsimile but if it is, wouldn't the signatures all look the same? Or do you think they used multiple auto pens?
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I recently picked up a copy of the gift edition for my son for Christmas. He has loved JP movies since he was 4 and I figured he should have the book. When I was looking at copies for sale, the signatures all had variations. I read it might be a facsimile but if it is, wouldn't the signatures all look the same? Or do you think they used multiple auto pens?
    Here's a great little story about that book (I have one on my shelf):

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

nice article - I do not have the gift edition - but I only have one crichton sig in my collection - it just happens to be a first printing of Jurassic park - so I am happy with that. I absolutely loved Crichton - he was the one author early on for me that as soon as a new book came out i would buy it immediately and read it that night

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

It was one of the earliest, most publicized use of an autopen for a "signed" edition.

http://onegirlcollecting.blogspot.co...4/autopen.html

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    It was one of the earliest, most publicized use of an autopen for a "signed" edition.

http://onegirlcollecting.blogspot.co...4/autopen.html
    Thank you for the link, another interesting read, plus I bookmarked her home page - I like the information there too

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info. I got the book at a good price and more for the illustrations and cool dust jacket. I thought my son would prefer this edition.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Recent additions to my Crichton collection:

Easy Go (1968 ) and Zero Cool (1969), first printing paperback originals, NF condition.

The Venom Business (1969), first printing 1970, NF. Not a first edition, as this was his first hardback release, but still scarce.

Pretty amazing that he wrote these while still in medical school.

Country
    Country Flag

Those are great!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Would love to get these early novels reprinted in hardcovers someday.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Would love to get these early novels reprinted in hardcovers someday.
    I picked up all (6? 7? 8? ...can't recall) the Hard Case Crime tpbs at half off a while back...haven't got to them yet, but am looking forward to reading them in one streak someday soon. They all have remainder marks, unfortunately, but given that they're just designed for reading, not collecting, I'm okay with that (though I really, really wish that practice would be stopped).

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Damn this thread has got NO LOVE ... guess I will post my collection soon.

I will start off with 3 association copies (with more to follow). The three books are all 1/1 and they are eaters of the dead, sphere, and the lost world. These are signed to Kathy Bowman, Crichton's long time travel agent. What is ESPECIALLY cool about Lost World is that the little girl in the beginning of the book, Cathy Bowman, was named after the woman that the book is signed to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast