Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 126 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Neil Gaiman

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    Okay - now this is interesting: Subpress just announced that they are carrying the ultimate Ocean as well - and that they have 40 copies. So between PS and SubPress they have 140 of the 260 copies - of a s/n that was on the market almost 2 weeks ago. Doesn't that show that they missed the original mark with the price point? The fact that more than 1/2 were sent to other publishers to try and sell - and if they bought them for close to that price (who knows) - how much will they be willing to drop the price to get them to sell. The subpress price is $450. I think these have to drop at least another $100-150 to sell. Anyway - just wanted to update.

Here is the subpress link:
    http://subterraneanpress.com/store/p...signed_limited
    I am right there with you. With the exception of the Hill House books, I don't think any Gaiman signed edition is worth the same retail as a King book, regardless of the limitation. There are thousands of Gaiman signatures out there, so it certainly isn't a rare one to get. When this comes down to 250-300, I would probably be a buyer.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Great you got a couple of extra books signed, Chad. I also enjoyed his reading - very much. Excellent narrator.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

What's that trick to see how many copies sub press has sold?

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    What's that trick to see how many copies sub press has sold?
    They have 9 left - try adding as many to your cart as you can

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wow - i cannot believe that they are selling at that price - unless other book sellers are buying them. it is still cheaper to get them directly from PS - since shipping from them is only around $16 and they did not increase the book price - still just 250 gbp

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

good news from one of the event coordinators of the santa rosa signing (whom I emailed yesterday):

We are opening the doors at 5:30 pm a hour ahead. And Will Call and book pick up will start at 4:30. The capacity for the theater is 900 persons so hopefully it's not as bad as SF. It is general admission seating. It will go late with the signing which is why it was moved up to 6:30 pm. Yes, we will invite disabled and people with small children to come up earlier. We will be handing out signing passes though as people come in so you want a signing pass with the letter A on it to be in the first group. Tell the door people handing out the signing passes that you need an A pass because of your child. Hope this helps.

So we should not have to wait as long this weekend and maybe he will be more energetic when we see him. Guess it helps to bring a small child with you sometimes...he was talking about the fact that there are not any good scary kids books - so i think we will bring him one of my extra copies of the princess and mr whittle and the thing underneath the bed - it might be fun for caleb to hand that to him

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I know I am going to sound like a jerk, but the "small children" thing irritates me....and it was worse at the Glendale, CA event because they took it one step further and said that people with small children AT HOME who needed to get back to relieve their babysitters could also go up first. I let about 20 people in front of me before I put my foot down and stood up and prevented anyone else from going past me. I paid three times for "VIP tickets" what most people paid for their tickets, and one of the perks for paying the premium was better seating and subsequently a better position in the line for the signing.

As far as those who brought small children WITH THEM, well, that was their prerogative to do so, and in my opinion, should not be afforded any special consideration.

My comment is not aimed at you Chad...but at those making the rules.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Gunslinger Apprentice RandyinAK will become famous soon enough RandyinAK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I know I am going to sound like a jerk, but the "small children" thing irritates me....and it was worse at the Glendale, CA event because they took it one step further and said that people with small children AT HOME who needed to get back to relieve their babysitters could also go up first. I let about 20 people in front of me before I put my foot down and stood up and prevented anyone else from going past me. I paid three times for "VIP tickets" what most people paid for their tickets, and one of the perks for paying the premium was better seating and subsequently a better position in the line for the signing.

As far as those who brought small children WITH THEM, well, that was their prerogative to do so, and in my opinion, should not be afforded any special consideration.

My comment is not aimed at you Chad...but at those making the rules.
    I totally agree with you Tippy. Unless the event was sponsered by the PTA or something I don't see how anyones kids play into that whole thing at all. I think preferential treatment for that is total BS. Look if someone has a walker or just had a heart surgery or is on oxygen or for whatever reason can't be on their feet or is disabled or is so old they just can't handle the line..... That is one thing, I would gladly step aside, I'll hold their oxygen tank so they can shake the authors hand but the simple fact that someone chose to pro-create and now they move to the front of the line? Give me a freaking break. Why are someone elses kids now your problem. That should never happen. OMG the parents have to get home because they have kids? We all have reason's we have to get home and to say that relieving a baby sitter is more important than, maybe someone having to catch a 5am flight or whatever other "important" reason you want to come up with..... That crap pisses me off too......
    Randy in Alaska

Wanted:
    These 1st/1st Editions:
    Salems Lot
    Dead Zone

Wish List:
    The Stand S/L in coffin box
    Firestarter S/L
    Doctor Sleep S/L
    Cujo S/L
    Christine S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Oh I have no problem with (most of) this. The part about kids at home - that's one thing - you know how long it's going to take and you plan for that, hence our oldest watched the youngest. We got home at 0200 Saturday morning and I went to work 6 hours later. I would have never gone up early saying I had to get home.

However, when I have my son with me - and I've read to him several of Gaiman's books - then I want him to have the opportunity to meet him at 8/830 and not 11/1130. There's a whole hell of a lot of difference between 3 hours at night waiting around with a 5 year old. Quite honestly, Caleb's "read" more of his books than many others waiting in line too. Also I like what they are doing for this signing - handing out cards when you enter - to better organize the signing portion, unlike sanfran where you could have come in very late - found an open seat near the front and get the signing over with early. This place holds 900 people and is sold out - I don't want to wait another 3 hours like last week (and that was after arriving 45 minutes before event started. But we will be in Santa Rosa all day - so I can scope it out early, and at least Caleb and I will be in line early

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Tippy, it doesn't make you sound like a jerk, but it does seem you're unfamiliar with Gaiman's work. He has written more for younger audiences and kids than for adults. I think it's lame that people could use the babysitter excuse to jump the line-that's extremely weak. But to say kids at a Gaiman reading that's closing in on midnight shouldn't get cuts doesn't make sense, especially if no one though the signing would go late.

In short, I agree with Cit74's point:
    "However, when I have my son with me - and I've read to him several of Gaiman's books - then I want him to have the opportunity to meet him at 8/830 and not 11/1130. There's a whole hell of a lot of difference between 3 hours at night waiting around with a 5 year old."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Tippy, it doesn't make you sound like a jerk, but it does seem you're unfamiliar with Gaiman's work. He has written more for younger audiences and kids than for adults. I think it's lame that people could use the babysitter excuse to jump the line-that's extremely weak. But to say kids at a Gaiman reading that's closing in on midnight shouldn't get cuts doesn't make sense, especially if no one though the signing would go late.

"However, when I have my son with me - and I've read to him several of Gaiman's books - then I want him to have the opportunity to meet him at 8/830 and not 11/1130. There's a whole hell of a lot of difference between 3 hours at night waiting around with a 5 year old."
    I agree. Gaiman's children's books are just as popular as his adult books. If I saw someone with a small child who was behind me waiting so he could meet Gaiman and get a book signed, I would probably let them in front of me. That would be a special moment for the child and making them wait until close to midnight would be tough. It would be neat if Gaiman was able to schedule an hour earlier in the evening to just sign for kids (and their parents), but I know time is short for him. It is ridiculous that some folks would use the babysitter excuse just so they could get books signed that they are probably planning to sell anyway.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

In truth far less people took advantage of the offer then I would have thought. Tippy can correct me if Im wrong but seemed to me only about 30 or 40 people (out of hundreds) "jumped the line" when the announcement was made. What irritated me more was when one of the handlers told a lady that she can have all of her books personalized and to "just see me" when it was her turn in line. Not sure why she got preferential treatment but really annoyed me.

Country
    Country Flag

enjoying the conversation here - but just to change subjects - more info released regarding the upcoming Sandman Prequel series set to start in October/November 2013:

http://firewireblog.com/2013/07/01/d...o-the-sandman/

Yes - it is from Larry Fire...not Larry Fine. Is anyone going to Comic-con this summer? Looks like Gaiman will be there, on a few panels, and lots of sandman swag, etc. Looking forward to the return to sandman - I will probably wait and buy the Deluxe issues - starting in november and running bi-monthly.

"The Sandman: Overture will be published bi-monthly with issue #1 arriving on October 30th, 2013. Each issue of The Sandman: Overture will feature stunning covers by Williams and original series cover artist Dave McKean and will be published on the same day digitally.

Also bi-monthly and alternating with the main Overture series, Vertigo will publish The Sandman: Overture Special Edition. These deluxe issues will include original scripts by Gaiman, additional concept art and sketches by Williams, Q&As with the creative team and more, starting in November."

Now if only i can find that handler and get all my books inscribed....

My Mood
    Twisted

Ive been on the fence about the San Diego Comic-Con. The pics Ari posted from last year really piqued my interest and I promised myself I would go to this one but now that its getting close Im hemming and hawing 'cause I dont collect comics nor am I familiar with them in the least so think Im going to be pretty lost over there.

Country
    Country Flag

oh there will be colorful people for sure - and from what I have heard/seen it gets pretty crazy crowded. id be too stressed, people knocking you over to get at a certain booth....uugghh

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    oh there will be colorful people for sure - and from what I have heard/seen it gets pretty crazy crowded. id be too stressed, people knocking you over to get at a certain booth....uugghh
    Well I wouldnt even know what booths to knock people over for lol. I could go and follow the masses - just do what they do and get some stuff signed for resale but doesnt sound particularly fun.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think you have to worry about it...I believe it sold out in one day months ago.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Tippy, it doesn't make you sound like a jerk, but it does seem you're unfamiliar with Gaiman's work. He has written more for younger audiences and kids than for adults. I think it's lame that people could use the babysitter excuse to jump the line-that's extremely weak. But to say kids at a Gaiman reading that's closing in on midnight shouldn't get cuts doesn't make sense, especially if no one thought the signing would go late.

You are correct...I am not very familiar with Gaiman...but I do have small children, and I probably would not take them to a event that would run that late....and I don't think I would be comfortable jumping the line if I did.

As a parent of a three year old, I am forced to watch YO GABBA GABBA on Nickelodeon...and one of the lessons that the cast of YO GABBA GABBA is always preaching is waiting your turn in line...and to drive that point home they sing "no butts, no cuts, no coconuts".

Now....see what you made me do?....I actually just quoted YO GABBA GABBA.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Country
    Country Flag

Now I feel sorry for you. I have never watched Yo Momma Gabba. The only things we have on tape/record to let the little guy watch are curious george and doc mcstuffins, and hockey - lots of hockey. You should pick up some of the Gaiman kids books - I had been reading those to Caleb for awhile (I enjoy the stories). We read Odd and the frost giants a few weeks back - a chapter a night -= and then I ask him what happened last night before the reading - and he usually does a good job remembering. Next up is either the graveyard book or stardust - but those will take awhile.

Also fun is the adventures of the princess and mr whittle; and the thing beneath the bed - by patrick rothfuss - I have about 10 copies - I give them to our friends daughters on their birthday

And most importantly - if I don't take Caleb, how can I get my copy of Neverwhere signed? (and Steph, and Lauren...but hey I am playing by their rules). Plus I am bringing a copy of the princess - so Caleb can give it to Neil to read - if he has not already read it.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Do what I did....scan the area around you and see if anyone is "light" on books...and if they are, ask if they will carry one for you.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Country
    Country Flag

Do what I did....scan the area around you and see if anyone is "light" on books...and if they are, ask if they will carry one for you.
    Oh definitely, I brought 2 extra last week and got them both signed. Was only going to bring 2 more this week - I find it tougher to try and get more into other hands.

My Mood
    Twisted

I don't think you have to worry about it...I believe it sold out in one day months ago.
    Referring to Comic-Con?
    If so thats good news. Now I can get off the fence.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Referring to Comic-Con?
    If so thats good news. Now I can get off the fence.
    That is probbaly true - they sell out the day it is announced - nearly a year in advance - crazy

My Mood
    Twisted

Did not know that but probably should have guessed

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Chad, I am likely to be light on books. I am not organized at all for this. Sell me some!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 126 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 ... LastLast