Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 107 of 126 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 3133

Thread: The Collectible Neil Gaiman

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What I failed to mention - prior to the photo op - I placed my two books on our table - in plain view, these were stacked on top of each other (it was a tiny table):

I don't think I saw Neil sign any books prior to coming to our side but f the room. He did sign a picture from the nose picker (I'll let Steve and Patrick share that story if they like - since they witnessed the horror, not me).

So when Neil took his pictures with us, my books were on the table. I didn't hand them to him, nor did I even ask if he'd sign them. After the pictures he started taking with us - and noticed the books on the table and asked if those were indeed Duran Duran books and whose were they. Of course I couldn't hold back and said they were mine. And he goes - we'll bring them over here and let me sign them - as he pulled a sharpie out from his inside jacket pocket. I bring them over and he notices there are 2 and then he saw the HC - and I'm not sure exactly what he said but I think it was along the lines of wow - don't see that too often. And he goes on to tell us that he had to spend $800 to buy his own copy of the HC online. He talked a little about the book - he was unsure how many HC were made - but he thought maybe a 100 send to distributors. And then he said these will probably be the rarest books he signs for awhile.

Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Doh, sorry - that last photo was supposed to be these:

First the softcover

And then the HC - he flipped through the pages while he talked to us - maybe trying to figure out which one to sign - but couldn't get the same one as above (since that's directly on inside flap of SC) since it's not readily available as you open the book (its page 2):

So as he's signing the books I could only hope to someday get signed - my brain went to mush. I was star struck and able to thank him and shake his hand after he signed both books.

Steve was able to get in a question as well - asking about how his quote made it into a recent episode of criminal minds. He mentioned someone involved in the show (I didn't catch the name - I swore he said Kirsten dunst- but I must be mistaken) had seen him at an event and mentioned the got that into the show. I can't say exactly how long he spoke with us - maybe 5 minutes or so, maybe a little more - but so worth it. The VIP area was really nice, well run and a small crowd.
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Country
    Country Flag

As for the rest of the evening - Neil spoke for around 90 minutes - he mixed questions on cards from the audience with reading excerpts from his books and sharing other news. He mentioned he's working on the sequel to Neverwhere (which most of us knew), as well as another Odd story - so revisiting his mythology roots. There might be a book about frogs down the road. And something that excited me was starting the casting on the 6 hour TV program - a joint venture between the BBC and Amazon - for Good Omens

And he shared how he collaborated with Sir terry pratchett on writing good omens. I didn't get a chance to submit a question. But as I was sitting there listening to him read a Poem (he did ask us in the VIP gathering if we had a poem we wanted him to read) and I only wished I asked him to read one of the poems framed in my office - the day the saucers came - so my evening was complete when he ended the evening by reading that exact poem.

So that's my recounting of the evening, it might not be exactly 100% correct, but that's the version that I'll remember best.
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Gunslinger Apprentice Booknutt is on a distinguished road Booknutt's Avatar

Sweet!

Michael Jackson ckovacs is on a distinguished road ckovacs's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Glad to hear you got to meet Neil and get those books signed. I've been fortunate to have lunch with him a couple of times, and share a dinner. He's a great conversationalist and a really wonderful person.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ckovacs View Post
    Glad to hear you got to meet Neil and get those books signed. I've been fortunate to have lunch with him a couple of times, and share a dinner. He's a great conversationalist and a really wonderful person.
    You'll have to let us know how those came about - sounds like great times
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    As for the rest of the evening - Neil spoke for around 90 minutes - he mixed questions on cards from the audience with reading excerpts from his books and sharing other news. He mentioned he's working on the sequel to Neverwhere (which most of us knew), as well as another Odd story - so revisiting his mythology roots. There might be a book about frogs down the road. And something that excited me was starting the casting on the 6 hour TV program - a joint venture between the BBC and Amazon - for Good Omens

And he shared how he collaborated with Sir terry pratchett on writing good omens. I didn't get a chance to submit a question. But as I was sitting there listening to him read a Poem (he did ask us in the VIP gathering if we had a poem we wanted him to read) and I only wished I asked him to read one of the poems framed in my office - the day the saucers came - so my evening was complete when he ended the evening by reading that exact poem.

So that's my recounting of the evening, it might not be exactly 100% correct, but that's the version that I'll remember best.
    I think the only thing I would have changed in your accounting of the evening would be to start with “The evening was an ‘Adventure’!”. Other than that it was well said.

For me the two high points were hearing Neil talk about the upcoming American Gods TV series and that his favorite episode (for now) is #4, which contains nothing he has written. There was a question about his feeling on having his work adapted. Neil told a story about selling an early story for a stage production and seeing it opening night. He soon realized that they were performing it word for word and he even started mouthing along with the dialogue. Half way thru the performance he came to the conclusion that the show was terrible because of this. So it was very exciting to then hear how pleased he is with the new TV show and how much he is enjoying what others are expanding on from his work.

The other high point was the Duran Duran adventure. Hearing Neil ask for the books so he could sign them was so unexpected. Seeing his delight when he saw that one was a hardcover was amazing. All of that pales in comparison to my enjoyment of watching Chad’s reaction throughout the whole event. It was pure shock and awe and for a solid 10 minutes Chad was clearly in an alternate state of consciousness.

Drinks and dinner before the show was a great time and I am looking forward to the next event.

Warning *** Nose Picker Story ***
    Since Chad mentioned it; here it is. Proceed ask your own risk
    Spoiler:
    A family showed up late to the VIP event and as it happen walked in to be the next group for Neil to meet. Being a small event everyone that was already there were good natured and no one seem to take too much notice of this. Our group had a brief laugh and waited our turn. Then it happened. The daughter, about 9 or 10 years old, started to pick her nose just inches in font of Neil Gaiman! I say started because it was not a quick poke and pick, it was a legitimate exploration event. I was truly in shock at seeing this and could not believe it. I said something to our group and they all dismissed it as I must have been mistaken in what I saw. Then we all watched as she went for round two. This time she had found her target and gave it a good inspection once it was out. I think you all know what is coming next, I started saying no please don’t, but there was no stopping it, she ate it. We were all stunned, not that a child would do this but that it was happening right in front of Neil. He didn’t show any indication that this was happening and I hope that her being so close that she was too short for him to notice. Thankfully this was over and we were distracted with our turn to meet Neil.

Sadly this is not the end of the story. As we sat enjoying the VIP setting and talking about our encounter with Neil I glanced over my shoulder and saw the true horror, the father was now picking his nose! I quickly turned away and said oh my god. Patrick and Khegan said what, I told them, and they both said nooo! Unfortunately for them they had a direct view. We said no wonder the girl had no issue doing what she had done with the example her father was setting. As was talked there was an ongoing tally and when it reached #5 we all agreed we were no longer in a VIP event and should make our way to our seats for the show.
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ckovacs View Post
    You'll have to let us know how those came about - sounds like great times
    The three events were each from charity auctions or purchases for "tea with Neil" or the like. With the first my family (wife and two children) and I had dinner with Neil at a restaurant. Surprisingly, no one seemed to recognize him, or at least, no one bothered us. The other two were lunches at restaurants, my wife accompanying me, and again each time was for about two hours. We invited his editor Jennifer Brehl along, who we are friends with. All three times it was a lot of laughs and great conversation. Each time, when it was clear that the time with Neil was ending, I'd pull out a knapsack full of all unsigned books and comics, upwards of 50-60 things. My wife would be shaking her head in horror, saying "Chris, no, this is so embarrassing," and Neil would say, "no, it's OK, I understand, I've been there too." And he'd patiently - quickly - sign everything and even take time to inscribe some things or draw in them. And then take more time for goodbye hugs and photos.

People had warned me not to try to meet famous people whom I admire because they might turn out to be jerks in real life. This is not the case for Neil. He is very friendly and personable, and I'm delighted and honored to have met and had occasions to interact with him.

Gunslinger Apprentice somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like a great night. Wish they had done the VIP thing at the UK event.

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome night ! Looks like You guys had a blast . Gaiman is the man !!

Goldmember LokiJake will become famous soon enough LokiJake will become famous soon enough LokiJake's Avatar

Thanks for the account and glad it was such a blast!
    Wanted:
    Wizard & Glass S/L #51 (can trade #229 in plastic)
    Song of Susannah S/L #51 (can trade PC or #293) Found 3/12

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ction-LokiJake

Gunslinger Apprentice bugen will become famous soon enough bugen's Avatar

Just saw this video. It's perfect if you love Gaiman:

“Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

bugensbooks.com

Gunslinger Apprentice somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Neil will be appearing at the annual Hay Festival with Stephen Fry.

https://www.hayfestival.com/p-12211-...ephen-fry.aspx

Earlier the same day Chris Riddell will be hosting his last event as the 'Childrens Laureate and in the evening Amanda Palmer is performing.

Country
    Country Flag

I know that we rarely pull up questionable Gaiman sigs (unlike SK) - but can anyone tell me who exactly signed this book:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANDMAN-1993...IAAOSw4CFY4VH1

haha - i just read the questions below:

Q: How can this signature be verified? I have looked at his signature and I have to say this does not look like a style he has used. I am a serious buyer and if you have some associated proof it is his signature I will buy it. Do not mean to challenge the assertion but signature frauds are prevalent. Many thanks! Apr-04-17
    A: Hi -- My husband, Denis Kitchen, has published Neil Gaiman, is a a good friend of his, and seen numerous Neil signatures. Furthermore, Norm Witty was book dealer of high integrity who was never known to deal in forgeries. We have every confidence that this is an authentic sketch and signature. Very best -- Stacey Kitchen
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I know that we rarely pull up questionable Gaiman sigs (unlike SK) - but can anyone tell me who exactly signed this book:

Q: How can this signature be verified? I have looked at his signature and I have to say this does not look like a style he has used. I am a serious buyer and if you have some associated proof it is his signature I will buy it. Do not mean to challenge the assertion but signature frauds are prevalent. Many thanks! Apr-04-17
    A: Hi -- My husband, Denis Kitchen, has published Neil Gaiman, is a a good friend of his, and seen numerous Neil signatures. Furthermore, Norm Witty was book dealer of high integrity who was never known to deal in forgeries. We have every confidence that this is an authentic sketch and signature. Very best -- Stacey Kitchen
    Neil's signatures vary a ton from his book signatures and some of his Sandman signatures. Some of his Sandman stuff is really rushed and has a very pronounced G... that being said, that signature is one of the worst I've seen and I wouldn't A. Full y trust it and B. wouldn't want it. Also that drawing is a tiny bit suspect also.

Country
    Country Flag

It doesn't look like any variant of his sig that I have.

That and the bad sketch would put me off

Country
    Country Flag

That's definitely not his signature. Doesn't look like it belongs to any of the artists in the book either. I do get the impression that it ends in a "y" but it's definitely not Samuel Delany's signature either. His is very neat.

If not a deliberate forgery, it might be a gift inscription from one person to the recipient.

Country
    Country Flag

Glad we are all on the same page. Possibly the first letter is a G. But everything else is all over the place. I did get a reply from the seller regarding my question:

showed Denis your message. He's going to email the photo to Neil himself for further clarity. Thanks for the head's up.

Often times you might only be able to make out the N, sometimes e, L and G. But they're in that order - haven't seen the G first like that
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Gunslinger Apprentice Booknutt is on a distinguished road Booknutt's Avatar

And now it's ended.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll give them credit for ending it - especially while trying to get clarification
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

That one is rough, indeed. I do know that Denis Kitchen (of legendary Kitchen Sink Press) is an extremely reputable dude...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm just about done with, American Gods. I've heard there is a sequel in print or coming? I guess I am looking for a little back ground on his "world" and perhaps what to read next. Much appreciative for any and all help.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I'm just about done with, American Gods. I've heard there is a sequel in print or coming? I guess I am looking for a little back ground on his "world" and perhaps what to read next. Much appreciative for any and all help.
    He hasn't written the sequel yet. But there are two novellas involving the main character, titled "Monarch of the Glen" and "Black Dog." Plus the novel Anansi Boys shares some characters but isn't a sequel per se.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    what did you think bill? did you like it at all after initial misgivings?

Read Anansi Gods next.

I loved both books but im a mythology buff...

Looking forward to the tv show
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll give them a go, but I have to say "American Gods" didn't "slay" me.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 107 of 126 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 ... LastLast