Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Harry Potter/J.K. Rowling

Gunslinger Apprentice pmtarantino is on a distinguished road

Haha thanks
    It was easy. It may seem hard, but it is not.
    I had a duplicated copy of Deathly Hallows, without dustjacket, so I gave it try.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That is cool.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

One of the first reviews of Rowling's The Casual Vacancy (WARNING: SPOILERS!!!!):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1917058.html

John

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's another one - http://shelf-life.ew.com/2012/09/27/...acancy-review/

Doesn't matter what the review are, it is going to sell tons of copies.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just got the notice that my book has shipped from Amazon (via Fedex!) and should be here Monday.

John

John, general question here:

Living in the US and having the chance of going directly to the bookshop and buy it in the release date, why chose buying in Amazon?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The closest book store (a Barnes & Noble) is about 30 miles away. Plus I don't think the discount they would provide would be the same as that of Amazon, even including shipping.

John

Oh, I didn't know Amazon had great discounts compared to bookstores.
    Glad to know how it works now

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, Amazon's discounts are always greater than those in physical stores, plus you don't pay tax. We have a dedicated "Vacancy" thread in Dutch Hill, so please share your thoughts on that book over there, but as we apparently don't have a dedicated Harry Potter discussion thread (unless I missed it), I though this was an interesting piece of news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19711553
    Author JK Rowling says she is tempted to create a "director's cut" of two Harry Potter novels, because she ran out of time to finesse them.

Rowling, whose first adult novel, The Casual Vacancy, is published on Thursday, said she had deliberately taken her time to write it.

"There were a couple of the Potters and I definitely knew that they needed another year," she said.

Her final Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, came out in 2007.

"I had to write on the run and there were times when it was really tough," she told BBC arts editor Will Gompertz.

"And I read them, and I think 'Oh God, maybe I'll go back and do a director's cut', I don't know.

"But you know what, I'm proud I was writing under the conditions under which I was writing, no one will ever know how tough it was at times."

Emma Watson, who starred as Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films, said the author was "too hard on herself".

"I think they [the books] are the way they were meant to be," she told BBC Newsbeat.

Rowling said she wrote her latest novel simply because she "wanted to". It is aimed specifically at an older audience and includes adult themes and swear words.

"I hope that we've made it really clear that this isn't a book for children," she said.

Gompertz revealed in his blog the swearing gave him "a bit of a jolt" when reading the book, "given that she is the world's most famous children's author".

The novel is centred on the death of Barry Fairbrother, whose unexpected passing shocks the local villagers of Pagford.

Publishers Little, Brown & Co said: "Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty facade is a town at war."

The company describes the tale as being "blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising".

Rowling, who admitted being flattered by Gompertz saying it had "something of Dickens" about it, added: "When I did start writing it I was aware that I was doing a contemporary version of what I love, which is a big, fat 19th Century novel set in a small community.

"So to an extent - swear words notwithstanding - that is what The Casual Vacancy is.

"It is a parochial - literally - novel that's looking at slicing through a society with everything that that implies. That's what I wanted to do."

She added that the huge success of of Harry Potter meant she "had nothing to prove".

"I certainly don't mean that in an arrogant way," she added, "I certainly don't mean that I think I can't improve as a writer.

"But Harry Potter truly liberated me in the sense that there's only one reason to write, for me - if I genuinely have something I want to say, and I want to publish it."

Rowling said she will judge the success of this book by "speaking to readers".

When the "hype became insane" with the latter Potter books, she described it as "a monster that was out of control" , adding that "speaking to readers really brought you back to what it should be about".

Her next novel is likely to be for younger readers, although she was keen not to commit herself to anything.

"I think it very likely that the next thing I publish will be for kids," she said.

"I have a children's book that I really like. It's for slightly younger children than the Potter books."

However, the author admitted she was "proud" of The Casual Vacancy.

"I like it, and if you can say that, however nervous you are on publication day, you're streets ahead of the game," she said.

"Because to put out something you're not that happy with or that you think 'God, I wish I'd had another year to rework it' - and I have been in that position - is very different."

More than 450 million copies of Rowling's seven Potter books have been sold worldwide.

The novels, about a boy wizard who survives the attack that kills his parents, became a worldwide phenomenon and were turned into eight blockbuster films starring Daniel Radcliffe.

Rowling spoke of the downside of her success, which led to her giving evidence at the recent Leveson Inquiry into media ethics.

"It was a big deal giving evidence to Leveson, because you're in that paradoxical position of trying to stick up for your privacy whilst slightly invading your own privacy," she said, adding she had to think "long and hard" about what to tell the inquiry.

"There were a couple of things that didn't go into the statement," she said.

"Because even though they represented some of the worst things that had happened to me at the hand of the press, or my family, I would have been invading my own privacy quite seriously to talk about them. So that's the odd thing about an inquiry like this."

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's the Harry Potter discussion thread (in The Mansion section of Dutch Hill):

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ook-Discussion

I do wish Rowling had done a "director's cut" of the novels. That would have been interesting.

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey thanks! I did a search but I guess I didn't look hard enough.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Yes, Amazon's discounts are always greater than those in physical stores, plus you don't pay tax.
    Actually, Amazon is required to start charging Sales tax in a state where they have a warehouse. There is a warehouse less than an hour from me and every time I order, I get hit with tax. Still cheaper than buying elsewhere.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amazon cut a deal with the "no new taxes" Texas GOP government and now we have to pay taxes because of a "future" warehouse. But that's not why I didn't order this from them. Last time I ordered a hot best seller (Dances w Dragons) I got a third printing. And since my nearest B&N is 20 or so miles I got a copy at my local Krogers. $20.58 including tax and has a full number line.

Banned Thelangoleer will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Fine

Yeah I actually got a second print of FDNS last time I ordered from amazon- never again

Along the Path of the Beam deanhoadley is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I was lucky enough to be at the talk JK Rowling gave at the Southbank, London, Last night, It was a very good evening and was also lucky to get the new book signed and hologrammed. I might need to raise some funds soon for a move so may consider selling this if anyone is interested.

Along the Path of the Beam deanhoadley is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

JK also spoke about a chat she had with Stephen King a short while ago when she was in the US, about how much it has changed when it comes to pre publication and giving out advanced copies for press, reviews, proofs etc. Her publishers dont allow her to do it, and she said the Stephen King was the only other author she had spoken to who is in the same position where he feels that he cant really let advance copies go out for fear of the book appearing on the net in full or being sold on ebay etc.

Glad to know that Dean :-)

I never knew who was the weird guy: if King for giving away proof copies, or Jo for doesn't do that.

Banned Thelangoleer will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Fine

I may have a proof copy of prisoner of azkaban available for any interested parties - us version

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The closest book store (a Barnes & Noble) is about 30 miles away. Plus I don't think the discount they would provide would be the same as that of Amazon, even including shipping.

John
    John, If you buy from B&N.com it's usually the same price as Amazon plus they give free & upgraded shipping if you have a membership card. Totally worth it and they ship in boxes.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Becca! I'll have to check into that.

John

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My copy of The Constant Vacancy arrived today from Amazon. It's a first printing. I'll be starting it tonight.

John

Casual

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, you're right. The Casual Vacancy. Another senior moment.

John

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Im about 30% the way through. Not my favorite story for sure, but her writing is really amazing.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish she had put, in the front of the book, the cast of characters. I get a bit confused.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast