Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1309

Thread: The Collectible Harry Potter/J.K. Rowling

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. I really like these illustrated editions.

John

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. Santa just wrapped one for his daughter.

But he'll talk her into keeping it on display in the living room, the bastard he is.

All three local stores have hundreds of the first printing left.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Signed Career of Evil on ABE for $250:

http://www.abebooks.com/Career-Evil-...m_ite=viewbook
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

SOLD - no longer available. What's interesting is that was from poisoned pen - 1 of the 3 Indy shops that each received about 12 copies. I had called them and got a copy directly for $35. A few other people called and then they said they no longer had copies. So I guess they just decided to put their remaining copy (s) on Abe's after seeing what they were commanding. How does that hold for future signed books? Will local shops start selling on eBay/Abe's to get more money - should they be considered different than individual sellers? Now most of their stock was sold at retail price - but what if they decided to sell them all at inflated prices like the other person who initially flooded the market with about 50 copies?

I don't have an answer, just raising the questions. I've noticed recently that other brick n mortar shops - like Goldsboro will start raising their book prices as fewer remain - even though these were just recently released. It has put me off to buying some of these books.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

That's crazy! I told you they had more copies because when I called they said they were getting low and then the next person to call was told they were sold out.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    That's crazy! I told you they had more copies because when I called they said they were getting low and then the next person to call was told they were sold out.
    I guess they would argue free market?? However, I just assumed a higher moral value from the regular stores. For that matter why wouldn't someone from mullholland press just take the books and sell on eBay. Maybe it was the fact that they received 3-4 calls in 5 minutes for the same book. But yes I agree - that's crazy - and if I had called and was told they were sold out I'd be pissed.

That reminds me of an eBay seller I no longer do business with. I got a nice deal on a book - but they shipped the wrong book. I got my refund, a few weeks later they had the same book - but listed for about $200 more than I had originally paid. I asked the seller if I could get that copy for the price I had just paid - since they had sent the wrong copy - but they had refused (and were pretty rude about it). I later got the book from betts - it was one of grants books - so n the end I was much happier with that transaction.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Question: What do you think is preferable… a 3rd or 4th print UK Bloomsbury Philosopher's Stone or an Australian 1st print? I need a copy to finish my UK set and not sure what is the better investment?

What about large print?

I realize none of these will take the place of a true first but I will never be able to afford one unless I win the lottery.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Question: What do you think is preferable… a 3rd or 4th print UK Bloomsbury Philosopher's Stone or an Australian 1st print? I need a copy to finish my UK set and not sure what is the better investment?

What about large print?

I realize none of these will take the place of a true first but I will never be able to afford one unless I win the lottery.
    My vote was for best UK version you can get since the rest of your series is UK

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post

SOLD - no longer available. What's interesting is that was from poisoned pen
    And now they have 3 more listed at $300.00 on ABE, but still have them listed as available for $250.00 on their website. Hmm.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

SOLD - no longer available. What's interesting is that was from poisoned pen
    And now they have 3 more listed at $300.00 on ABE, but still have them listed as available for $250.00 on their website. Hmm.
    It's actually only one, the 3 referenced on that page are all the copies listed on ABE.

I may be in the minority in this but I don't have an issue with independent bookstores raising prices as the market dictates. Obviously lying about what they have in stock is different.

Country
    Country Flag

But does that mean when these stores initially get their stock that they'll automatically raise the prices and not even offer them at retail price? How about next years book? Do you sell 90% through the store at retail and place the last copy (or 2) on Abe's or increased price on website? These weren't even listed on their website when first out - in store only. None of the stores had them listed on their website. I wouldn't want them to increase price on all books as soon as they receive them - but couldn't you see that happening next year? For some reason I don't see mysterious galaxy raising the prices of their signed books - when they can be found higher elsewhere. Signed copies of welcome to nightvale have gone up a bit - but they were still regular price on their website when I got my copy.

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

By law, I don't think retail store can sell a book above issue price for a certain time. Of course there are ways to bypass that...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post
    By law, I don't think retail store can sell a book above issue price for a certain time. Of course there are ways to bypass that...
    Does that include an online only bookseller? Mike's Collectables never sold any of the copies for retail price. I would think he should be considered an online retail store if he can buy in bulk direct from the publisher (he does have a store website)?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post
    I'm unaware of any law that applies. The publisher could set rules that the retailer would have to agree to though.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

But does that mean when these stores initially get their stock that they'll automatically raise the prices and not even offer them at retail price? How about next years book? Do you sell 90% through the store at retail and place the last copy (or 2) on Abe's or increased price on website? These weren't even listed on their website when first out - in store only. None of the stores had them listed on their website. I wouldn't want them to increase price on all books as soon as they receive them - but couldn't you see that happening next year? For some reason I don't see mysterious galaxy raising the prices of their signed books - when they can be found higher elsewhere. Signed copies of welcome to nightvale have gone up a bit - but they were still regular price on their website when I got my copy.
    I don't think they should start out with an increased price. If they did that they probably wouldn't sell any.

From my experience with the Poisoned Pen, when they get signed books from an author like Rowling they keep them off the site to prevent someone from ordering all of them, especially if they are getting so few copies. They also tend to hold copies for their best customers, i.e those that are buying just about everything they sell (I am definitely not one of these). They did this with Dan Brown's last book. Also, the copy the Pen has up on ABE is about $300 less then the other copies for sale. If this copy sells it would appear they only made a large profit on 2 of the x number of books they got.

The reason I don't have a problem with the practice is that these independent stores can almost live off these high valued books, much like a small press can live off publishing a book by King. People will buy these, regardless of the price. Being able to make extra money on these not only allows them to stay open but they can then carry books by lesser known authors and get another author or two to come for a signing.

Regarding Mysterious Galaxy, thats great that they are doing enough business that they don't have to increase their prices like many other places do.

Like I said, this is just my opinion on the matter, but I get where your coming from.

Country
    Country Flag

Again I want the indie stores to survive - so I could see doing that with a small percentage of stock after a certain period of time from release, at least in brick n mortar stores.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Currently being in Scotland, I have recently seen an advertising for an Deluxe Illustrated edition of HAPPY POTTER in the glaswidgean METRO :

n utterly enchanting feast of a book, this stunning collector's edition of the full-colour illustrated Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is a volume to treasure for a lifetime. Brimming with rich detail and humour, Jim Kay's dazzling depiction of the wizarding world and much loved characters will captivate fans and new readers alike. In oil, pastel, pencil, watercolour, pixels and a myriad of other techniques, Jim Kay has created over 115 astonishing illustrations; there really is magic on every page.
    - See more at: http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/harry-p....K6zhWIYI.dpuf
    Price : 150Ł

> http://www.harrypotter.bloomsbury.co...9781408871874/
    >> http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/harry-p...9781408871874/

------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

I got one (THANKS SIMON!) it is gorgeous

Gunslinger Apprentice jsteltor will become famous soon enough jsteltor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I've had this ever since the book came out and I don't know what to do with it or what the value would be. I picked this up at the cashier stand of one of the mall bookstores back in the day, I'm thinking Walden's or B. Dalton. It was just sitting on the counter for anyone to pick up. It's a first chapter preview of the book and what is interesting, to me, is that it is just stapled together and there is no other advertising or anything to announce it's a preview or some promotional offering.

Anyone care to chime in and guess to the rarity and potential value? I have no real attachment to it in case someone wants to make an offer.

Wants:
    Insomnia S/L
    Joyland S/L

Have:
    Doctor Sleep - CD PC copy
    Very Best of Best New Horror - PC copy
    Smoke and Mirrors - PC copy
    PS Publishing Anniversary editions set

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen that before. Given that it was a freebie, it seems pretty scarce. I have no idea how much it would be worth.

John

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Have you checked if this is listed in the JK Rowling bibliography released a few years back?
    Tonight I should be able to check if it's listed (and more details) regarding it in the "Harry Potter Journey", another bibliography ebook
    >>> http://www.theharrypotterjourney.com/
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

I dont think that the book THE HARRY POTTER JOURNEY mentions it. I have found the following, but I think that it is a different item.

"Bloomsbury published the Bloomsbury Autumn Highlights, June to December 1997 in May, in order to promote the new work of 25 authors of their forthcoming autumn 1997 list. That was the first time that a Harry Potter block of text appeared, containing a 14-pages extract of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. This item is highly collectable and hard to find, because only few people know about it, and the lucky person who got one back then, hardly noticed its future value and eventually threw it away. During that time, the proof copy of the book was being sent to booksellers and journalists to gain some attraction and have some press."

There is one on abebooks for over $ 3K
    >>> http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...2520Highlights

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What's weird to me is that it is stapled on the top, like a book report you'd turn into school, instead of stapled on the side like a chapbook. It certainly is interesting. I looked in my copy of the Rowling Bibliography and I don't see any mention of it.

Country
    Country Flag

No publisher or anything is mentionned?
    I guess that you got this in the USA?

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So what seems to be the current value for a 1st printing US Cuckoo's Calling? The one with the different blurb in the back that does not mention Rowling?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast