Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Robert McCammon

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why the negativity (hatred?) for the recently discovered lettered state of the book. Just because the details are not clear doesn't mean it isn't an exciting find. I was very happy to get a copy with a matching letter for my Sub Press set. And Camelot Books, to their credit, priced them very reasonably.

However I would definitely like to know the circumstances surrounding Camelot's discovery and acquisition of the books, the source, and how many copies they got. But that is up to Tony and Kim to divulge that or not. Do I have a few questions? Yes, most definitely. Am I happy to have a copy at a very reasonable price? Again, yes.

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I'm not sure why the negativity (hatred?) for the recently discovered lettered state of the book. Just because the details are not clear doesn't mean it isn't an exciting find.
    Had they actually been different somehow, I might agree. They're clearly the same book that someone wrote letters in instead of numbers. That does not a lettered edition make, IMO.

The 14-year gap between publication and when the first one showed up is extremely odd, too. I mean, I was around when they were published. I was the one who first posted about their availability. I was talking to people who bought them. Not one person in 14 years ever mentioned getting one with letters written in the book. Since there was never an advertised "lettered" edition, that makes their provenance extremely suspect to me. (Note: I am not accusing Camelot of any wrongdoing. I trust that they bought the books exactly as they said. I just don't know where the seller(s) got them.)

Here's what I posted back in July 2002 about the limited:

The book is available in hardcover trade edition. A signed, limited edition is scheduled for publication in early November 2002. The two editions will have different artwork, the limited will be printed on better-quality paper, and illustrations are planned for the limited.

The list price for the signed limited is $125. River City Publishing is planning to print 1,000 copies of the limited. It can be preordered by calling River City Publishing, or from Shocklines and other specialty booksellers.
    In January 2002, I had updated that to read:

The book is available in a hardcover trade edition and a signed, limited edition. The list price for the signed limited is $125. River City Publishing printed 500 copies of the limited. It can be ordered by calling River City Publishing, or from Shocklines and other specialty booksellers.
    Note that there's no mention of a lettered edition. And they did print 500 copies of the limited. I had forgotten that they had told me how many they finally did.

But if those of you who bought them are happy, then I'm happy, too.

You might also find this information interesting:

New!!! The first edition can be identified by the lack of a "First Edition" statement on the copyright page. If there is a second printing of the trade hardcover, it will be identified as a "Second printing" on the copyright page.

There are 15,000 copies of the first printing of the trade hardcover edition of Speaks the Nightbird.
    To my knowledge, there hasn't been a second printing.

And Camelot Books, to their credit, priced them very reasonably.
    I agree completely about that.

Hunter

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Seems they were sure pleased with Bob though.
    At least someone is. I seem to be in disfavor in other threads.
    I favor you.

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Got notice today from SP that shipment on its way - only thing I have on order is Boy's Life lettered.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Phalucha View Post
    Got notice today from SP that shipment on its way - only thing I have on order is Boy's Life lettered.
    Damnit, damnit, damnit, I'm jealous. Please post some pics when you get it!
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Gunslinger Apprentice richardsrarebooks will become famous soon enough

did you order their "grab bag"? i got mine today.

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am sure Hunter will get his copy first.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Same here! I wasn't sure about this particular title, as I do have more books on order, but this confirms my hopes - thanks!

sk

Gunslinger Apprentice ym2000 will become famous soon enough ym2000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Same here! I wasn't sure about this particular title, as I do have more books on order, but this confirms my hopes - thanks!

sk
    I got one as well but its not Boy's Life as I missed out on that one. The Knight lettered?
    Looking To Buy:

Wandering Star:
    Savage Tales Of Solomon Kane - leather

SubPress:
    Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - Letter V ( will trade for PC +cash)
    Neal Stephenson’ Cryptomonicon and Zodiac - Letter O

My Book Collection

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ym2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post

sk
    I got one as well but its not Boy's Life as I missed out on that one. The Knight lettered?
    Didn't order that one.
    On Facebook I read a message from someone who only had the lettered Boy's Life on order - and he had received a shipping notice as well.
    Must be the one.

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Lettered Boy's Life arrived today - absolutely beautiful edition. Nicest edition of any McCammon book ever!

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Since this is for a very specific title, I'm repeating this Classified ad on this McCammon board.

For sale: a BAAL slipcase -- for the Firecrest/Chivers UK 1st HC edition.

I'm not a big slipcase fan like some here, so am letting this one go to help finance a book purchase.

I've seen a couple clear plastic ones, but I've never seen a cloth one. Not sure of its origin...as far I know, it's a custom job, but by whom I've idea. Whoever it was, they did a pretty nice job. The cloth is tight on the boards, and the and construction is firm. There are a few tiny glue spots near several seams that show up as a bit yellowish against the gray cloth, and the edge lines of the cloth inside the opening are a little wavy, so I'm guessing this isn't a professional job. But, again, whoever it was, they did a pretty good job.

$30 shipped (regular PayPal).

Gunslinger Apprentice Rooster will become famous soon enough

Boy's Life lettered.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Boy's Life lettered.

Awesome! Thanks for posting!
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Beautiful! That's 2 recent Subpress classics (Including Simmons' SUMMER OF NIGHT) that have great looking lettered editions.

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Brilliance Audio is releasing Freedom of the Mask on MP3 CD on October 11. This is the first of the Matthew Corbett books to be released on MP3 CD. I've written to Brilliance to try to find out if there are plans to release the others that way.

Freedom of the Mask MP3 CD at Amazon

Hunter

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Cool! Thanks Hunter.

Gunslinger Apprentice ym2000 will become famous soon enough ym2000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Boy's Life lettered.

Stunning edition man! Congrats!
    Looking To Buy:

Wandering Star:
    Savage Tales Of Solomon Kane - leather

SubPress:
    Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - Letter V ( will trade for PC +cash)
    Neal Stephenson’ Cryptomonicon and Zodiac - Letter O

My Book Collection

Country
    Country Flag

New from Cemetery Dance, this book reprints "Yellachile's Cage."

Hunter

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

^^^ I have BETTER WEIRD on its way to me right now. Looking forward to it; I was a big fan of Silva's work, both editorial and written.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Love the lettered copy of Boy's Life. Just stunning!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's your chance. Seven bids, $131.50-Seldom seen:
    Boy's Life Robert McCammon Lettered Edition Subterranean Press - 1 of 26 Copies

Country
    Country Flag

Yet another "lettered" edition of Speaks the Nightbird. I seriously have to wonder if River City (or someone) hasn't started "lettering" the limiteds they're selling now. I still find it most unusual that I never heard of a "lettered" copy until 14 years after it was published, and now they seem to be showing up everywhere.

This seller wants $500 for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speaks-the-N...cAAOSwUEVYC5go

Just to reiterate, this book is the exact same book as the limited edition, but someone has written letters instead of numbers.

Hunter

Country
    Country Flag

If anyone is interested in selling a letter copy of Baal or The Five - pls email.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I arrived pretty late to the party regarding Robert McCammon. Several of his books were published in Spanish decades ago and I saw them a hundred times but never decided to jump in. I finally did last year and it was one of the most pleasant surprises I had in the genre. I started buying the books that were available in Spanish (got them all already) and since some of the S/L had a great price I bit and bought some. I'm still missing a lot of his S/L (I'm currently searching for a copy of The Wolf's Hour S/L at a reasonable price) but it has been refreshing to finally discover this author. The only thing I'd like is that his S/L editions would have more illustrations.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast