Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Robert McCammon

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    Hopefully #91 comes together for Tommy, too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Tommy.
    Thank you! I never thought I would come across it and then to miss it by seconds... seems like the book gods are not pleased with me!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Seems they were sure pleased with Bob though. Amazing that "C" was available. Tommy here's hoping you will somehow get your number. Good luck.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Seems they were sure pleased with Bob though.
    At least someone is. I seem to be in disfavor in other threads.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I got really lucky. I have letter "C" for all of the Corbett books done by Sub Press. When I got confirmation of a lettered from Camelot I asked if, by chance, letter "C" was available and it was. Seems too good to be true.
    That is really lucky Bob, congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Seems they were sure pleased with Bob though. Amazing that "C" was available. Tommy here's hoping you will somehow get your number. Good luck.
    Thank you zelig!

(up to I Travel by Night, All copies are numbered 91)

(unsigned readers and some ARCs)

One of the first books that brought me inquiring to tdt.org (other than SK's of course) was Speaks the Nightbird Limited Edition. I had bought a copy from Barnes and Nobles (they had one copy in stock for $100 shipped). I didn't know at the time that the edition was still in stock at the publisher.

I asked on another thread about how to get a book rebound because STN was damaged when it arrived from B&N. The page block had separated from the boards and there were rips. I was told that to get it rebound would cost more than just returning it and buying a new copy from the publisher and that's what I did. I believe RF was the one that informed me about it being in stock. So thanks RF!

The copy I got from the publisher is number 360 and because I saw and had previously heard about the poor production of the book (like what was mentioned in the Camelot email the other day), I have had my copy stored in a bag in the case and upside down to help protect the page block. I've only opened it twice to see the number and just barely then. It's in new condition for this title and I have it to swap for 91 if someone from here happens to get it.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you can get #91 of Speaks The Nightbird. Did you ask Kim at Camelot if they would help put you in touch with the person that did get copy #91? Hopefully to work out a trade?

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I'd like to know how it turns out. I hope they can make something work for you.

I just sent a message, will see what happens!

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to get by here until now.

Just a reminder (or in case anyone doesn't know), I run Robert McCammon's website and FB page. We've been friends for almost 30 years, and I was somewhat involved when River City published Speaks the Nightbird.

I had never heard of any "lettered" copies of this book until Tony at Camelot emailed me yesterday to ask about them.

River City consulted with me on their release of the limited edition of Speaks the Nightbird. It was the first limited they ever did, and they had no idea what they were doing. They eventually stopped talking to me about it, so I have no idea how many limiteds they had printed. (AFAIK, the often-quoted number of 500 is imaginary. I suspect they printed twice that many, as that was the last number they mentioned to me before they did it.) Hundreds. The books---both states, limited and trade---are still available from River City at the list prices.

http://rivercitypublishing.com/?s=mccammon

Obviously, somebody lettered some of these, but there was never a stated lettered edition from them. The photo Tony sent me looks like the letter was done by McCammon, so maybe he lettered some of the copies when he signed them? I have no idea.

There's not a single difference between the "lettered" and the numbered, except for what someone wrote in them.

And yes, the damage described by Camelot and earlier in this thread is typical of virtually all of the books. The text blocks were heavier than the binding could support---another rookie mistake River City (and their printer) made.

Hunter

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just arrived: the two-volume German paperback edition of The Wolf's Hour, published last month by Festa Verlag.

Hunter

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the insider info Hunter! It was a very interesting read

Gunslinger Apprentice ValHallAwaits will become famous soon enough ValHallAwaits's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So considering the condition issues that they all undoubtedly have, are they worth buying? Is it permissible to pass up the only limited edition release of a book because you know it's crap? Or does the almighty completionist within reign victorious yet again?
    I trade/collect lettered

ISO:
    Moorcock Elric Deluxe S/N
    Altered Carbon Letter X
    Wandering Star Leather/Deluxe REH

Trading:
    Fafhrd Deluxe S/N
    Fafhrd S/N
    Elric S/N
    Martian Chronicles Lettered
    Ender's Game S/N

Gunslinger Apprentice richardsrarebooks will become famous soon enough

What will rule is the law of supply and demand. Since the publisher still has copies of the limited for sale, I would pass. The lettered might be a different animal.

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looks to me like someone created their own lettered state. I really disliked their production of this title - one of my favorite stories. Hoping Sub Press gives us a nice matching state at some point.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ValHallAwaits View Post
    So considering the condition issues that they all undoubtedly have, are they worth buying? Is it permissible to pass up the only limited edition release of a book because you know it's crap? Or does the almighty completionist within reign victorious yet again?
    I think about this probably more than I should. Do I really need all the variants of Tommyknockers? Are the Overlook Connection "signed" books really signed if all you get is a slip of paper with a signature, and moreover, are these a variant I need in my collection? Should I get all the different editions of a book I couldn't even finish? How lame is The Dark Man and why did I need three editions (and what is wrong with me?)

I have no answers for you but I do know that if a book doesn't do it for me, I'm getting the trade only. Heck, sometimes I don't even get the trade. I collect Gene Wolfe but some of his B material is so nebulous and unreadable that I couldn't even finish the stories. I took those books to a local store and got pennies on the dollar, complete set be damned.

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Being a completist takes 3 things: mania, space and money. Few people have all 3 in sufficient quantity. I remember a completist contacted me once to sell me an item from his collection and said he needed to check his database to see if he had an extra to sell. I think having a database is the point where someone is operating on an entirely different level. Like at the point in sport or business where you move to analytics.

Quote Originally Posted by Phalucha View Post
    I remember a completist contacted me once to sell me an item from their collection and said they needed to check his database to see if he had an extra to sell.
    He contacted you to sell you something before he had checked his database to see if he had one to sell to you? That's crazy.

Country
    Country Flag

Yup. He went away to check and never got back to me. That was about 3 years ago. Maybe I will still hear from him at some point!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Must be a pretty huge manual database for checking over 3 years
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ValHallAwaits View Post
    I think about this probably more than I should. Do I really need all the variants of Tommyknockers? Are the Overlook Connection "signed" books really signed if all you get is a slip of paper with a signature, and moreover, are these a variant I need in my collection? Should I get all the different editions of a book I couldn't even finish? How lame is The Dark Man and why did I need three editions (and what is wrong with me?)

I have no answers for you but I do know that if a book doesn't do it for me, I'm getting the trade only. Heck, sometimes I don't even get the trade. I collect Gene Wolfe but some of his B material is so nebulous and unreadable that I couldn't even finish the stories. I took those books to a local store and got pennies on the dollar, complete set be damned.
    Good post. Thoughtful.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    How lame is The Dark Man?
    Very. The lamest of the lame.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter View Post
    Obviously, somebody lettered some of these, but there was never a stated lettered edition from them. The photo Tony sent me looks like the letter was done by McCammon, so maybe he lettered some of the copies when he signed them? I have no idea.
    I finally asked Rick McCammon about these, as I now know of at least half a dozen copies that have all popped up in the past three weeks. Rick also has no recollection of lettered editions, and he doesn't recall doing any of the lettering/numbering himself.

In my opinion, these "lettered" editions are no more special than the "numbered" editions. They certainly were never marketed as "lettered" editions, and since they are the exact same books as the numbered books, I don't see how they could possibly have more value from a collector's point of view.

I also find it very odd that in 14 years, I never heard about lettered copies, but all of a sudden---and all at once---they seem to be everywhere....

On the plus side, at least two of the people I know who bought them ended up with better copies that suffer from less of the binding problem (so far) than their previous editions, so there's that....

Hunter

Gunslinger Apprentice richardsrarebooks will become famous soon enough

I agree, they are no more special than the "numbered" editions but look at the difference between the numbered and lettered "Christine" and "Cujo". They are each the same book with the number and letter being the only difference but there is a huge difference in price.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by richardsrarebooks View Post
    I agree, they are no more special than the "numbered" editions but look at the difference between the numbered and lettered "Christine" and "Cujo". They are each the same book with the number and letter being the only difference but there is a huge difference in price.
    Only because King collectors are nuts!

Hunter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast