Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 65 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Robert McCammon

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to the board for being so high on McCammon and Simmons. I'd never even heard of them before coming to this place.

As of now I have only read

Speaks the Nightbird
    Summer of Night
    The Abominable

so I look forward to a wealth of reading and lots of good books from these two in the future!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    Thanks to the board for being so high on McCammon and Simmons. I'd never even heard of them before coming to this place.

As of now I have only read

Speaks the Nightbird
    Summer of Night
    The Abominable

so I look forward to a wealth of reading and lots of good books from these two in the future!
    I envy you the opportunity to read McCammon's BOY'S LIFE, SWAN SONG, and WOLF'S HOUR for the first time...those are three very special books.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Dan Simmons works but not all are masterpieces in my humble opinion. So here's my ranking:

Summer of night
    Drood
    Phases of Gravity
    Song of Kali
    The terror
    Hyperion saga
    Kurtz trilogy
    A winter haunting
    Carrion comfort
    Fires of Eden

I didn't like at all Darwin's Blade and I didn't read the rest of his works yet.

As for McCammon I read Boy's life (goes head to head with Summer of Night in the ranking), The Night Boat (I really liked it and I'd place it 5th in my rank), I travel by night (also loved it) and Mine (not his best but not bad at all). I'm currently reading The Wolf's Hour.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read almost all the McCammon novels now. The real dark horse ones here are Usher's Passing and The Five which are both excellent. Here is my ranking them (excluding the Corbett series since that it is a different animal):

1) Swan Song
    2) Boy's Life
    3) They Thirst
    4) Stinger (underrated!)
    5) Mine
    6) Usher's Passing
    7) The Five (underrated)
    8) The Border
    9) Mystery Walk
    10) Gone South
    11) The Night Boat
    12) The Wolf's Hour
    13) Baal

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

^^^ No real arguments there, save for WOLF'S HOUR at near the bottom...I've always felt it was one of his best (#3 on my Top McCammons). I'm surprised to see it so low on your list.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    ^^^ No real arguments there, save for WOLF'S HOUR at near the bottom...I've always felt it was one of his best (#3 on my Top McCammons). I'm surprised to see it so low on your list.
    Yeah, I have it much higher. Has anyone read the short stories from the recent collection, Hunter from the Woods?

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I felt bad about ranking that one so low but that is mostly a reflection of how good his other books are. I actually liked Wolf's Hour. My only beef with it was that it felt like an effort to write a more mainstream best seller than simply a good book. McCammon is at his best when doing the latter. There are plenty of hack horror writers that can knock out a WWII werewolf story. I did still enjoy it though!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post

Has anyone read the short stories from the recent collection, Hunter from the Woods?
    Yes, and not surprisingly, it's quite good. It's great to revisit the characters and whatnot...for me, it didn't quite capture the magic of WOLF'S HOUR, but that could be more a result of the short form (over long) than the story/writing itself. Certainly worth the investment of money and time to read it, especially for fans of the orginal work.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Robert McCammon - Bethany's Sin S/L #457 - $45 shipped
    Robert McCammon - The Five, Signed Trade - $30 shipped

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post

Has anyone read the short stories from the recent collection, Hunter from the Woods?
    Yes, and not surprisingly, it's quite good. It's great to revisit the characters and whatnot...for me, it didn't quite capture the magic of WOLF'S HOUR, but that could be more a result of the short form (over long) than the story/writing itself. Certainly worth the investment of money and time to read it, especially for fans of the orginal work.
    I thought they were very good. There's one, Sea Chase where he doesn't wolf out at all and I found it to be just ok but it's the longest one, I would skip that one. Unless you really like WW2 stuff then have at it.
    The rest are worth checking out though for sure. The audiobook is excellent as well.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Speaks the Nightbird S/LSOLD

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The ebook editions of six Robert McCammon novels are on sale today for $1.99: Mystery Walk, Stinger, MINE, The Wolf's Hour, Usher's Passing, and Gone South (which is $2.99). Handy ordering links can be found at this link.

http://www.robertmccammon.com/2017/0...on-sale-today/

Hunter

Over the weekend I picked up a Fine/Fine 1st HC of SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD at the half-price sale my local bookstore was having, so it brought it down from an-already friendly $9.99 to $5. I already have a signed 1st HC of it in my collection, but it always seemed a bit too delicate to read, given its size, so I figured this would be a great way to finally -- finally! -- get going on this series. I have all the books in signed 1st HC, but have yet to actually start reading the series. The delicate nature of SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, the first of the series, and its intimidating page count have put me off starting the series for years and years...to find a like-new 1st for five bucks seemed like just the omen and impetus I needed to finally pull the trigger on getting started.

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

...to find a like-new 1st for five bucks seemed like just the omen and impetus I needed to finally pull the trigger on getting started.
    Yay! Enjoy it!

Hunter

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love Speaks the Nightbird. Came at the end of a long gap in publishing from Rick so it was amazing to be holding a new McCammon book after what felt like ever...mnd the story was memerizing. One of his greatest books. Think The Alienist by Caleb Carr.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Phalucha View Post
    I love Speaks the Nightbird. Came at the end of a long gap in publishing from Rick so it was amazing to be holding a new McCammon book after what felt like ever...mnd the story was memerizing. One of his greatest books. Think The Alienist by Caleb Carr.
    I have not read Nightbird - I loved The Alienist. Hmmmm

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Speaks the Nightbird definitely is one of McCammon's best. It's the best of the Matthew Corbett series (so far) and I'd rate it up there with Boy's Life and Swan Song.

sk

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Hunter, have you read The Listener that's going to be published by CD next year?
    They seem excited about it.

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I've read The Listener. CD is excited about it for a good reason, IMO! Rick talks about it a little bit in this interview:

http://www.robertmccammon.com/2016/0...ask-interview/

Hunter

Country
    Country Flag

Is the publication date for "The Listener" Feb. '18 per the CD release or will it be available before then? That is a long time to wait!

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter View Post
    Yes, I've read The Listener. CD is excited about it for a good reason, IMO! Rick talks about it a little bit in this interview:

http://www.robertmccammon.com/2016/0...ask-interview/

Hunter
    Ah I remember thanks for the reply. Yes 2/2018 is a long ways away!

Country
    Country Flag

The publication date for The Listener really is February 2018. It is a long time to wait, but with Subterranean's Swan Song limited and the other two McCammon projects CD is doing coming out later in 2017, The Listener release was scheduled to give McCammon fans a bit of a break.

Hunter

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Speaks the Nightbird definitely is one of McCammon's best. It's the best of the Matthew Corbett series (so far) and I'd rate it up there with Boy's Life and Swan Song.

sk
    I'm a big Robert McCammon fan, and haven't even gotten to the Corbett series yet. I'm hoping to get to it this summer. Glad to see it's a great read. I look forward to it.

BTW - for those that may have an extra Boy's Life lettered, I'd love to purchase a copy. Boy's Life is one of my overall favorites and I, like an idiot, missed out on the preorders way back when.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Over the weekend I picked up a Fine/Fine 1st HC of SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD at the half-price sale my local bookstore was having, so it brought it down from an-already friendly $9.99 to $5. I already have a signed 1st HC of it in my collection, but it always seemed a bit too delicate to read, given its size, so I figured this would be a great way to finally -- finally! -- get going on this series. I have all the books in signed 1st HC, but have yet to actually start reading the series. The delicate nature of SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, the first of the series, and its intimidating page count have put me off starting the series for years and years...to find a like-new 1st for five bucks seemed like just the omen and impetus I needed to finally pull the trigger on getting started.
    Finished SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, which was, as mentioned above, my first (and overdue) foray into McCammon's series, and while it did feel overly long and unnecessarily padded, I did enjoy it and am looking forward to reading all the other volumes. Fortunately, I have all the other volumes in signed 1st HCs (as I do SPEAKS), so they're just waiting for me to read them. I do plan to give it a break for a short while, though, so as to avoid burnout. Frik indicated that for him that SPEAKS was as good as Boy's Life and Swan Song...for me, SPEAKS fell a good deal short of both, and if it were any other author I'm not sure I'd continue on with the series with a great deal of enthusiasm. I hear the next installment, THE QUEEN OF BEDLAM, is supposed to be one of the best -- for some, THE best -- of the series, so am really looking forward to it.

Country
    Country Flag

Finished SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, which was, as mentioned above, my first (and overdue) foray into McCammon's series, and while it did feel overly long and unnecessarily padded, I did enjoy it and am looking forward to reading all the other volumes. Fortunately, I have all the other volumes in signed 1st HCs (as I do SPEAKS), so they're just waiting for me to read them. I do plan to give it a break for a short while, though, so as to avoid burnout. Frik indicated that for him that SPEAKS was as good as Boy's Life and Swan Song...for me, SPEAKS fell a good deal short of both, and if it were any other author I'm not sure I'd continue on with the series with a great deal of enthusiasm. I hear the next installment, THE QUEEN OF BEDLAM, is supposed to be one of the best -- for some, THE best -- of the series, so am really looking forward to it.
    I found "Speaks" to be quite different from the rest of the books in the Corbett series. It is much longer and slower paced. The remaining books move along and are more action oriented. They are both great in their own way though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 65 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast