Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
Are the Assassin's Creed games good anymore? Black Flag was so amazing, and after hearing the few games after Black Flag were pretty middling, I decided not to tarnish the franchise if it's gone off the rails. They're pumping out the games so quick, I can't imagine the quality is consistent.
I'm biased because I love the series so much, but yes. There has never been a bad AC game for me. I love all the lore and story (the Isu, the Assassins, the Templars, it's so engrossing). In fact, with Origins last year they kinda rebooted the franchise, while still being a continuation of the storyline. And Origins was very successful critically and with fans. I'm playing it now, in fact, and it is beautiful and the story is great. Odyssey is looking to be an even bigger improvement. Can't wait till next year when all the story elements (stupid episodic DLCs) are released so I can buy the complete edition.

So, if you played the series up until Black Flag, and it's been a while, I'd suggest picking up the rest of the series (they're often on sale for $7-9 bucks each) to get all that yummy lore, even if potentially it's the samey gameplay that was putting you off (which was never the case for me, personally). And then look for a good sale on Origins (there was a pretty good one for Black Friday) and dive in. Walking around Ancient Egypt is magical. (Well, technically, it's not the ancient Ancient Egypt, but that's a whole different topic.)

There are only three main titles after Black Flag: Rogue, Unity, and Syndicate, and I think each offers something really unique to the series. Unity in particular was beautiful and fun to co-op with a friend, if you're into that. I also have the AC Chronicles series, a fun platformer with more lore and story, which is always nice. Easy to play and looks really pretty too! I even played (or watched) most of the various mobile games. Yes, I am obsessed, I can admit it