Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are your feelings on the later books?

Traveler holzy1139 is on a distinguished road

Default What are your feelings on the later books?

New here, I've been a lurker but now I decided I would start posting.

I am midway through the DT series, I am just starting Wizard and Glass now. For some reason over the years I've been spoiled as to what happens in the series: i know how it ends, i know the fates of most of the main characters. While it would've been better to be surprised, I still have enjoyed reading the series despite knowing what happens. I say this so that you don't shy away from spoilers when answering my question:

A lot of people complain about the later books and how there's a decline in quality of writing. Do you agree with this assessment? I ask because I sort of want to tailor my expectations so that I don't feel immensely dissapointed.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome, holzy!

I don't feel like the quality of the writing declined as the series progressed, per se, but the story did seem to either drag or slip in places (such as in W&G). I think you'll really enjoy the rest of the series.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I don't think the quality declines. Wolves of the Calla is my favorite of the whole series, and Song of Susannah was probably the one that I read the fastest, because I just couldn't put it down for long for some reason. I think the writing holds up.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked the later books. Really, really enjoyed Wolves of the Calla. On my first read through, I wasn't very impressed with Song of Susannah. But on my second read through I realized I may have just been rushing through it. SoS is also very good and some cool things occur in that volume.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what Chris said, verbatim

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I absolutely hated the last 3 books. All the made-up words King used just totally irked me, I don't know why, they just didn't ring true for me. I had to force myself to read them.

Now having said that, I do plan on re-reading the whole series start to finish one of these days (I 've read THE GUNSLINGER at least three times and the 2nd and 3rd books at least twice), and it's entirely possible I'll change my mind. I've read books in the past I've disliked, which on another reading I found myself liking, and just the opposite on other books. I guess this shows that one's tastes and viewpoints change with time, as new experiences are added to your life.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I really liked wolves, last two not as much. However, I have read the first 4 many, many times. and the last 3 only once, so maybe my opinion might improve.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd Ikarus View Post
    I liked the later books. Really, really enjoyed Wolves of the Calla. On my first read through, I wasn't very impressed with Song of Susannah. But on my second read through I realized I may have just been rushing through it. SoS is also very good and some cool things occur in that volume.
    I agree. I think that the reason I pushed through SOS so fast is that
    Spoiler:
    A lot of cool things happened but not to all of them since they were separated at that time. I just really wanted the Ka Tet to be whole again
    I think that the seven books are one story and to me it fits. The books change but so do the characters, deeply and fundamentally. I loved this series. Just started my second time through the audio books and am planning a re-read soon as well

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I felt exactly the same way blavigne. I think another reason is just the simple fact that I hate the character of Mia. But yeah, after finishing it the second time through I could not understand why I dismissed it so quickly at first.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blavigne View Post
    ...The books change but so do the characters, deeply and fundamentally. I loved this series...
    My thoughts exactly
    Even though I can say that my favorite book, or the one closest to me, is The Waste Lands, with The Gunslinger being a close second, it's not because I like other books less or because they are somehow worse; it happened for reasons purely beyond the books themselves. I love them all and would never leave out any of them during a re-read. It's really one journey - how can you skip a part?
    If you are going through hell - keep going

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

In nutshell: I loved the last 3 books a lot. When I started reading book 7, for about a hundred pages I didn't like it that much. By the time I finished it, it became my all time favourite.

Roland would have understood.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

I do understand the point people have about the books and how the writing style changed. I'm sure there would have been a lot more continuity had the books been written one after the other. However, I also know that for me a huge part of the richness and depth of the story is the growth and change that happened to the main characters especially Roland. In my opinion, this is reflective of the changes, growth and life experiences that Mr. King had during the almost thirty years it took to write the story.

Like everything, this story has it's flaws, but for me it is not just a story. The DT touched my heart and soul in a way that I can barely even begin to put into thought much less words. I love the story so much that I would not even sacrifice the parts that I hate if that makes sense.

How wonderful it is to be able to express thoughts like these and know that when you people here read this you will "get it"!! That is too cool..........

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I absolutely loved the last book. As for the rest of them, I really enjoyed them overall. I had some minor issues with the story, but the writing was still excellent and I don't fault King at all for that.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Along the Path of the Beam Rice Dancer is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Cynical

I think his style obviously changed. I enjoyed the whole series though.

Traveler Terahurts is on a distinguished road

I've read the first three a dozen or so times, four and five twice and then stupidly read the spoilers for six and seven on wikipeadia and have struggled to make a start on them now I know the end.

I struggled with WaG, the first time I read it I was fever sick, and tbh I had some weird dreams about it during that first time round, ever since it's been harder to read.

I don't think the quality of writing has deteriorated so much as changed, becoming less lyrical and more descriptive as the series ages.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through listening to them all as audio books, having just started The Wastelands which is also my favourite of the series.

Oh, and my first post here by the way, so "Hi Everyone!"

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I was a "as published" reader and as such had no issues with W&G as others did. Although, as a narrative it did "drag somewhat. After waiting all those years for him to finish it (and dealing with his accident from a readers perspective) I have to say that in at least some ways it had a "I've just got to finish this" feel to it. I've re-read the series a few times since and its not quite so obvious on re-reads, but still there is a "rushed" or not as dedicated feel to the whole ting. Almost like a person had held a gun to his head. I don't mean that as negative as it sounds, but there is a difference between the first four books and the last three. Just can't put my finger on it.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler Saintmatthew is on a distinguished road

I just finished re-reading the whole series. the first time through, I read them as they came out (first one may have been out a while though). I was 13 and in high school when I picked up The Gunslinger. I was 29 when I finished The Dark Tower. The Wastlands I remember reading on a weekend marathon after getting dumped on my birthday. I thought they were all good, although book 7 was a bit "thick" here and there with all the vernacular he made for it. It was also, for some reason to me, not as gripping or moving. It picks up at points but they move through so many alien places it's harder to become emotionally invested or feel they are.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

holzy1139, how far are you into "Wizard & Glass" i'm on page 414 now. i haven't read all of "King's books yet. but i think his style in writing changed when he did "Insomnia" which is one of my favorites of his. i hope to NOT be burnt out on "DT" after i'm done reading "Wizard & Glass" though he he.

i also find it interesting how various people hate the last 3 books while others love them. i think my brother said "Wolves" is his favorite one. since i haven't read all of them, "The Drawing of the three' so far is mine.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

best regards to your brother. Wolves is my absolute favorite.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler holzy1139 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    holzy1139, how far are you into "Wizard & Glass" i'm on page 414 now. i haven't read all of "King's books yet. but i think his style in writing changed when he did "Insomnia" which is one of my favorites of his. i hope to NOT be burnt out on "DT" after i'm done reading "Wizard & Glass" though he he.

i also find it interesting how various people hate the last 3 books while others love them. i think my brother said "Wolves" is his favorite one. since i haven't read all of them, "The Drawing of the three' so far is mine.
    I just finished exams so I'm back to focusing on Wizard and Glass now. I'm a hundred and something pages in, about 30-40 pages into the flashback story.
    It seems like I'll like it, though I admit that I was itching being away from Roland with the 30 pages of
    Spoiler:
    Rhea the witch and Susan and that whole creepy ordeal. Something about the old witch practically molesting the girl made me a bit squeamish. Weirdly Roland blowing heads off in Tull and the demon rape in Wastelands didn't get to me but this did. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

Is it true that the rest of Wizard and Glass has a really western feel to it? I guess I'll probably find out before someone replies anyway, but I like the sound of the western feel of the books being more prominent.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

yes it does have that feel. it's what i call a western/love story with a little fantasy hence "Blaine the mono" with a litlte bit of sci-fi. that's what i call it anyways, the flashback starts out slow to be honest, the 1st meeting with Susan. the 3 of them meaning Roland's original Ka-Tet going to the mayor's dinner. is slow. don't worry this isn't anything spoiler.

it in short takes awhile for the book to pick up. for me the big action scenes haven't even happend yet. he he. & you will see "Roland' make mistakes that we aren't used to him making. but to be fair he was only 14 at the time. though with this love story the boys feel like they are actually older than they actually are. but than Jake Chambers as Susannah said about him acts like he's 18 years old instead of Eleven.

so i think it goes the same for "Roland" & his gang as well. my favorite joke? Cuthbert's lookout.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Darn all you guys. All this talk about the Dark Tower books makes me want to read them all in a row now, which I did not do for the last three books. And I am so far behind in my reading now, I don't want to do it! But I think I will anyway. Give me a couple years (or more?) and I'll tell you what my new opinion is then!

Lets's see, maybe after I finish the 6 volume set of THE COMPLETE JACK VANCE at about 1000 pages each this decade, I can jump right back into THE DARK TOWER series. Should be done around 2020 or so...maybe.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

why does it take you so long to read them? as for me? my reason? i think by the time i get to the 4th book i get "DT" burn out. i got as far as the scene in the book where Jonas helps "Cordeila" with her Groceries & than i lost interest maybe? & i tried numerous times to finish it off from there, but i by than had no fucking idea what the hell was even going on?

Susan & Roland & Already slept together i believe. not really a spoiler it is a love story after all. & of course if i haven't read the 4th one why read the ones after that? ya know? i'm now on page 425 by the way. anyways, i'm a little funny when it comes to music. & books you have to understand.

i have to be in the mood to read & also be in the mood to read a certain author for example "Anne Rice" whom also love. her earlyier stuff anyways. anyways, it's the same way with movies & tv shows as well. i have to be in the mood for them. it's odd i know. but that's just how i am.

i've always been that way for some reason? is anybody else like that? also how are you liking "W&G" so far holzy1139. & congrats on finishing your exams

Traveler johnny39 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I was a "as published" reader and as such had no issues with W&G as others did. Although, as a narrative it did "drag somewhat. After waiting all those years for him to finish it (and dealing with his accident from a readers perspective) I have to say that in at least some ways it had a "I've just got to finish this" feel to it. I've re-read the series a few times since and its not quite so obvious on re-reads, but still there is a "rushed" or not as dedicated feel to the whole ting. Almost like a person had held a gun to his head. I don't mean that as negative as it sounds, but there is a difference between the first four books and the last three. Just can't put my finger on it.
    Well put. I was lucky enough to read all 7 in succession. There was definitely a shift in feel after the 4th book.

I think it's similar to Lost. There is a significant change in the storytelling after season 3. Some of the best parts of the series happened in seasons 4 and 5, but it just wasn't "the same" show.

It happens to everything, and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Traveler greatcthulhu is on a distinguished road

Ranking the seven:

1) The Drawing of the Three. Beautiful narrative flow and stunningly imagined.
    2) The Wastelands. Flawless continuation of TDot3. The last half falters slightly, but all in all, outstanding.
    3) Song of Susannah. Republic serial feel throughout with a dark bizarreness to it.
    4) The Gunslinger. The one that started it all. Great sense of impending doom throughout. Beautifulyy written.
    5) The Wolves of the Calla. Well written, but it seems aloof from the rest of the series. Suffers from a lack of imagination, but a solid story.
    6) The Dark Tower. A lopsided, but satisfying conclusion to the series. Some minor quibbles with the ending, but worth the wait.
    7). Wizard and Glass. Narrative flow problems, a decided lack of imagination, and a very unreliable narrator. A very uncomfortable read.

I'm currently on my 4th trip through the DT series and though I'm only half-way thru Wolves, this is my current feeling on the series. The ranking has slightly changed from a posing on another forum, which was: 2,1,6,4,3,7,5. I was extremely disappointed with W&G this time round.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast