Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What are your feelings on the later books?

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I finished Wolves again last night and I must admit that it was a lot better this time around.

Can't quite put my finger on what I feel has changed but the Callahan back story didn't annoy me like it did the first time through.

Now on to SOS!
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Wizard of Glass was my least favorite. The first time I read it, it was just such a huge downer. I didn't want to know about Roland's past. I just wanted to know about his future. I just wanted to keep moving forward in the journey! And more Randall Flagg! I actually enjoyed SOS... and Wolves... I was glad to get back to the story...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by holzy1139 View Post
    A lot of people complain about the later books and how there's a decline in quality of writing. Do you agree with this assessment? I ask because I sort of want to tailor my expectations so that I don't feel immensely dissapointed.
    I definitely do not think there is a decline in the quality of the writing. King can write. Having said that, I have some quibbles about some of the happenings in DT VII (although I thought the ending itself was perfect). I didn't care much for SoS, not because it wasn't written well but becasue I never cared much about the character of Susannah in the first place. That whole Detta, Odetta, Susannah (and now Mia!) thing didn't do much for me. Wolves was fun. Well-contained...and who knew Roland could dance the Commola?
    I completely agree with divemaster's comments.

I will add this, though: SK should have left out his pissy tirade that followed DTVII. It bummed my high.

Gunslinger Apprentice Shawn will become famous soon enough Shawn's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

Roland knew he had danced it at least a thousand times before ...

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    ... SK should have left out his pissy tirade that followed DTVII. It bummed my high.
    A few times in that volume it was foreshadowed, though, don't you think? Like Rando Thoughtful trying to talk Roland out of proceeding to the Tower. Remember he talked about worlds like Stephen King's being still green & pleasant? And Nancy Deepneau before that, sitting in her well-appointed office in Manhattan delivering her own pissy tirade to him about the value of existence. But even though Earth was part of the DT cosmography right from the first book, it seems to me that it was viewed throughout the first three from the pessimistic standpoint of connection to the crumbling, miserable universe that Roland comes from, and in the last three books, that's reversed, so that that half-empty glass is supposed to be looked at only from the standpoint of having a connection to Earth's potentially bright future.

John F. Kennedy grobblewobble will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Innocent

Haven't finished part VII yet, but half-way now.

The main problem I have with the last three books is all the references to King. A writer making himself the most important person in the whole universe.. how he goes on and on about that road accident.. urgh.

But other than that, I loved the last three books, at least so far.

Traveler otherjr1 will become famous soon enough

Well, maybe I'm a little late to the party here, but I hated the last three books. Found them meandering, overly complicated, repetitive, and just poorly written.

Of course, these opinions are subjective, but I have some facts on my side here.

Let's look at the publication dates of the first four novels.

Gunslinger: 1982
    Three: 1987
    Wastelands: 1991
    Wizard: 1997

Now, let's look at the publication dates of the final three:

Wolves: 2003
    Song: 2004
    Tower: 2004

That's 15 years between the first four and around 18 months between the last three. Another interesting date would be 1999, when King was hit by a car, and another would be 2002, when he said he was going to quit writing. This was partly down to his injuries, which at first made sitting to write excrutiating and remained uncomfortable for some time.

I think it's fair to say that the last three books were taken at a gallop. King had spoken several times before about being unsure how to continue with the DT series. I think, looking at an early retirement, he just wanted to get them done as soon as possible. This explains, for me, why the last three books feel so damn rushed and untidy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3