Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Field of Dreams - All things Baseball

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

So last night I was at a Single A Minor League ballgame - the Potomac Nationals; not a bad game P-Nats started 4 - 0 then 5 - 1 then by the 7th inning it was 5 - 5 - and yep, extra innings. Free baseball as they say. Well the reason for my post is this. Remember my son is the Box Office Manager there so sometimes I get early scoop! Well the P-Nats Third Baseman is this Dominican guy named Tejada. On defense his glove is like a magnate. Nothing gets by him - never an error. At the plate he has power - His dinger in the 2nd inning made it 4 - 0. Well in the bottom of the 11th with two outs he sailed a walk off homer over dead center, the farthest from the plate. I kept thinking this is a guy that is going places.

Later that evening when my son got home from the game - part of his duty is counting the money from the box office and all the food vendors, and the store! The game ended at 9:30pm (it started at 6:05) and they had firewaorks after the game. Very seldom do we stay for the fireworks. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt! :-) Needless to say when Brett got home he informed me that Tejada was no longer with the team - right after the game he was informed to be in Richmond tomorrow morning (today) to become the newest member of a AA Team! You have to love the Minor leagues.

Brett also told me about this fan fave named Will Powinica-Worms - yep a very strange name. He is a center fielder and according to an interview in the game book handed out at each game, he is a fave among the team members as well. Well he too is no longer on the team - in fact he is no longer a baseball player - he has retired from Single A. Had a serious injury and everyone thinks that's the straw that broke the camel's back. Not to worry, this Duke Pre-Med graduate has already been accepted into Medical School! Cool Huh!

One more note from the game - Pitchers are vulnerable - the most vulnerable being off balance after the pitch when perhaps a batted ball comes back at them faster than they let it sail to the plate. The Opposing team (Carolina Mudcats - love the name) pitcher took a liner to the side of the head. He went down in a heartbeat. Eventually he got upa nd walked off on his own - thank goodness - I am sure he minimally has a concussion.

Oh and one more thing from the game book passed out. Who is the most famous Carolina Mudcat alum - none other than two time MLB MVP and triple crown winner Miguel Cabrerra! He was a Mudcat back in 2002! Not too shabby!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Minor league ball is great. We've had a minor league team in Rockford for as long as I can remember. They kept changing franchises when I was a kid. They were the Expos, Royals, Reds and Cubs at one point or another. Now we just have an independent league team.

I went through and made a list of the best players to have come through Rockford and came up with a pretty decent lineup. Guys like Adam Dunn, Johnny Damon, Matt Stairs, Mike Sweeney, Jon Garland...

We also had a certain professional women's team in Rockord that had a movie made about them.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm excited about the move by the Tigers. It gives them a great starting rotation for the final push this year and will keep them solid for next year since Max will probably be gone. I truly wish they could have addressed left infield or shored up the pen a bit more but overall great trade.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Gives them a great starting rotation? They already HAD a great starting rotation lol. Though all these moves only help the Jays get into the playoffs since say, we face Boston six more times and don't have to worry about Lackey or Lester in those games. If we make the playoffs...it's going to be scary facing either the Tigers or the A's.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL. I suppose you are right but Verlander has had a rough year. It is funny how quickly I've forgotten what it means to have a bad rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Gives them a great starting rotation? They already HAD a great starting rotation lol. Though all these moves only help the Jays get into the playoffs since say, we face Boston six more times and don't have to worry about Lackey or Lester in those games. If we make the playoffs...it's going to be scary facing either the Tigers or the A's.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Our rotation last year was a joke. Between injuries and people under performing...I mean, we had to sign Chien-Ming Wang. We had that homophobic combination of Dickey, Wang and Johnson for a few weeks lol

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like the team may have missed out on a great promo night at the park.

We had that homophobic combination of Dickey, Wang and Johnson for a few weeks lol

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If tonights scores hold true it looks like the Tigers will be backing into the playoffs.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats, Tim!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. It took every single game and now the Tigers get to face the O's.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Thanks. It took every single game and now the Tigers get to face the O's.
    I would think that the, Tigers will have the edge. Now, and going forward with that staff and offense.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

In with a whimper and out with barely a sound. Congrats to the O's.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry for you, Tim. That bullpen is fucking miserable!!! WTF?????
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. The pen has been a mess all year and they did an awful job addressing it during the year. Unless they do something different I'm not sure they will see the playoffs next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. The pen has been a mess all year and they did an awful job addressing it during the year. Unless they do something different I'm not sure they will see the playoffs next year.

They could add to the Pen by dropping, Joba. It's a shame, nut the Yanks screwed him up for good.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure where the contractual stuff stands however there shouldn't be anyone in their pen who feels safe this offseason.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure where the contractual stuff stands however there shouldn't be anyone in their pen who feels safe this offseason.

I hear that. And who names their kid, Joba?????? Pizza Hut??? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations to the:

Kansas City Royals!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. This years postseason has been very entertaining.

Congratulations to the:

Kansas City Royals!!!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't to really watch much of the post season. I've been busy. Will definitely be watching as much of the series as I can though. GO ROYALS!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't to really watch much of the post season. I've been busy. Will definitely be watching as much of the series as I can though. GO ROYALS!

Good to know!!

Spoiler:
    Just kidding, I couldn't resist the snarky comment opportunity. Sorry!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes Way To Go Giants
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

So it's to be a Wild Card World Series! Since my team is long since looking to 2015, I'll side with the KC Royals! Somewhere I heard that the series might not have a single player born in the 20th Century! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Pardon my ignorance, but is that pine tar all over the front of Alex Gorden's batting helmet?

I thought you couldn't add substances to help your grip after taking your at bat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast