Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Field of Dreams - All things Baseball

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Twin have 275 HRs
    NYY Have 268 HRs

Closing the gap quickly!

:-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Twin have 275 HRs
    NYY Have 268 HRs

Closing the gap quickly!

:-)
    Impressive considering how many of their regulars have been hurt. Stanton has exactly 1 home run this year...
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I can't hear you laalalalalalaaa
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Yankees really gave us a run for our money, but...

🎉⚾The Minnesota Twins are the new home run champions! ⚾🎉

(I can't believe I just said that! )

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    Yankees really gave us a run for our money, but...

🎉⚾The Minnesota Twins are the new home run champions! ⚾🎉

(I can't believe I just said that! )
    If it wasn't for the injuries, they may have hit 400.

My Mood
    Dead

Which team? lol

Both went through some tough times, injury-wise. I'm so curious how many we'd each have if our teams had stayed healthy throughout. Probably looking at at least 340s.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    Which team? lol

Both went through some tough times, injury-wise. I'm so curious how many we'd each have if our teams had stayed healthy throughout. Probably looking at at least 340s.
    You can't possibly be saying the Twins had the same rash of injuries as the Yankees. Stanton played in 18 games, Hicks played in 59 games, Judge missed a junk of time, Sanchez had 3 stints on the IL, Andujar played in 12 games. I've never seen a team get hit like they did. What the Twins did was impressive, but I have to think the Yankees would have won that if they had their normal lineup most of the year.

Twins had injuries, but please don't say Buxton either. He's a scrub that is always hurt.

Side note: Rocco Baldelli is my 4th cousin on my dad's side. I've never met him, but when my grandfather was alive, he told me Rocco's family used to come down from Rhode Island to CT to visit. Also, my dad's name is actually Rocco Baldelli as well, so we get a lot of people asking.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I originally posted the following in the "Random Thoughts........." thread to no response. This entire scandal has got my blood boiling not only because the cheating directly affected my beloved, Yankees but more importantly the way its being handled. And now with the firing of, Beltran from the Mets (whom I believe was actually a player in 2017) enraged me even more. It certainly seems to me that MLB and the owners have gotten together and decided the best way to handle this scandal is to scapegoat the management involved in the cheating and totally skirt the player's and perhaps more importantly the Players Union with the new CBA on the horizon. What bothers me most is that all facets of MLB seem to be collectively steering the conversation in this direction that the Management is solely responsible and the players get off scot-free because "It would be too difficult to investigate and identify the players who perpetrated the cheating". What? they're a "TEAM", they should face the music as a "TEAM" case closed. If they didn't participate in the actual cheating, they were complicit in it by not going public. End of story.

I mean on one hand the Commissioner talks about protecting the game and the integrity of it and then tacitly condones the actions of the players by placing the blame solely on Management. While I agree management should accept the consequences and punishment handed down so should the players bear their responsibility and suffer some consequences otherwise what kind of a message is MLB sending to our children? The bottom line is that MLB is afraid of the Union and could give a rat's ass about the games integrity. Take away all playoff shares (donate those funds to charity, take back their rings and vacate the title and all the associated awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Well, the Seagulls are out, so really, season over. Thank goodness. I've seen more football in the past few months than since HS - which brings me to baseball. Why can't the catcher have audio equipment built into the mask and the pitcher one of those things you stick in the ear. No need for signs. If football can do it, seems like baseball could figure it out. Yeah, sensitive enough the batter can't hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Because in weird ways baseball is stuck in traditions that are 100+ years old. Of course the players have adapted to a new pay scheme that sees them making millions each, but they still are resistant to change old things like using signs (catcher to pitcher, Manager to batter, base coaches from manager to runner etc.).
    Well, some of the things you mention are just part of the game. However, in response to "Lurker's" question, I saw on "MLB Tonight" where they said that MLB has already tried the ear piece/transmitter thingy and the players found it too distracting and they said it impacted their game. Not my position on the subject just relaying what I heard from the so called, Pro's. I guess the Tech hasn't made it far enough for baseball yet. LOL

Speaking of this signs crap, how about the commissioners edict? He punishes management, but lets the players go scot-free? WTF is that? What kind of message are you sending to the fans especially the kids? Cheat and get caught and its okay if enough of you do it. They keep the championship, the money and the rings? That's a load of crap!!! They should have to answer for their actions as well. Put an asterisk in the books for that championship. Take back the playoff cash and rings!! Give the money to a worthy charity. What MLB did is half assed bullshit!!!!

Edit: "Protect the integrity of the game". What integrity? The Commissioner just sold it to the Astro's and eventually, Red Sox players that cheated to win. He also just said its okay to do it even if you do get caught. As long as there is a Union and its too much work to figure out who the Perps were.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I am done with MLB, unless they strip the World Series champs that cheated. Is the only fair thing.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    I am done with MLB, unless they strip the World Series champs that cheated. Is the only fair thing.

Apparently, according to a poll I saw on ESPN, 70% of the fans agree with us.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

It should stand as an empty World Series year. And the Astros wins should be vacated.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

There's a very interesting and pertinent show on ESPN called: Back Story: Banned for Life. Check it out. Folks used to get banned for cheating/gambling in baseball.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I guess everybody is just going to have to get over it. Don't forget that year the Astros had a better away record than the home record. I have no problem with asterisks, but lets make sure all cheaters get them, like A-Roid and Sosa (I forget - did he get anything for his bat tampering?) and Bonds etc And lets not forget the felon Steinbrener or however it's spelled wouldn't have been in baseball but for a pardon from Reagan. Heck, I think Serena Williams should have been banned from tennis for threatening to kill a linesperson.

Merlin, thanks for your answer. And I agree about players going free. They should at least be named and shamed if the commish is going to do nothing else
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello folks, if you are unhappy with the way MLB and the Commissioner have handled the Astros/Red Sox cheating scandal and would like to try to do something and have your voice heard, I have created a FB group designed to get as many members as possible and then send communications to the Commissioner, MLB and select persons in the media in an effort to have our voice heard. What I believe the, Commissioner, The Players Association, the sock puppets in the media and anyone else in organized baseball is that it is not their opinion that counts. The only opinion that should be valued and treasured is THE OPINIONS OF THE FANS THEMSELVES, who dole out their hard earned money to enjoy the game by purchasing tickets, memorabilia, jersey's, hats, balls, hot dogs, beer TV packages and Lord knows what else to support these cretins who then betray that trust by cheating to win a title. You can join the group on FB.......................,........

MLB FANS SEEKING CONSEQUENCES FOR ASTRO CHEATING

Without us fans no one on the Astros could afford to pay their respects. They'd all be back in their home neighborhood or country wishing they could make it to the show!!!!! So please join and bring your friends. The more members, the more they will listen!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Hello folks, if you are unhappy with the way MLB and the Commissioner have handled the Astros/Red Sox cheating scandal and would like to try to do something and have your voice heard, I have created a FB group designed to get as many members as possible and then send communications to the Commissioner, MLB and select persons in the media in an effort to have our voice heard. What I believe the, Commissioner, The Players Association, the sock puppets in the media and anyone else in organized baseball is that it is not their opinion that counts. The only opinion that should be valued and treasured is THE OPINIONS OF THE FANS THEMSELVES, who dole out their hard earned money to enjoy the game by purchasing tickets, memorabilia, jersey's, hats, balls, hot dogs, beer TV packages and Lord knows what else to support these cretins who then betray that trust by cheating to win a title. You can join the group on FB.......................,........

Without us fans no one on the Astros could afford to pay their respects. They'd all be back in their home neighborhood or country wishing they could make it to the show!!!!! So please join and bring your friends. The more members, the more they will listen!!!!!
    Aren't you a Trump supporter? Isn't cheating kind of his thing? It really shouldn't be that big of a deal at this point.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Aren't you a Trump supporter? Isn't cheating kind of his thing? It really shouldn't be that big of a deal at this point.
    Aren't you an Athletic Supporter? Go do your job and go support somebody's sack.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Aren't you an Athletic Supporter? Go do your job and go support somebody's sack.
    It took you almost 4 days to come up with that? How sad. They say the mind slows down with age, but holy shit.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Would you two knock it the fuck off. Really ruining the thread.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. There will always be people with varying opinions. That doesn't give anyone the right to bad mouth others, condemn, speak down to, etc. Let's all be civil about this.

Personally, my opinions align with Merlin's. I think its a big deal. If it's a rule and you break it, then you should be prepared to accept the consequences. The Commissioner of Baseball granting the players immunity under the guise as it was the only way to get to the bottom of it, was pure bullshit. That was the coward's way out and an attempt to sweep the matter under the rug with a few scapegoats taking all the blame on their shoulders.

As to professional baseball players being role models. They are such. Have their egos grown too much? Most definitely, but to get to the "show" the talent must be there. So many minor leaguers never reach that goal. The pros are in the limelight and as such should live up to the standards set. Millions of fans from 5 years old to 95 years old look up to their heroes no matter what team they play for and young impressionable kids can easily be swayed to take on improper behavior as demonstrated by some of their role models. These young kids are the future of baseball, which to me is the greatest sport. Just my humble opinion. I like most sports, but I simply love baseball. I would love to see the integrity of the game upheld by all from the lowliest MLB employee to the top.
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Agreed. There will always be people with varying opinions. That doesn't give anyone the right to bad mouth others, condemn, speak down to, etc. Let's all be civil about this.

Personally, my opinions align with Merlin's. I think its a big deal. If it's a rule and you break it, then you should be prepared to accept the consequences. The Commissioner of Baseball granting the players immunity under the guise as it was the only way to get to the bottom of it, was pure bullshit. That was the coward's way out and an attempt to sweep the matter under the rug with a few scapegoats taking all the blame on their shoulders.

As to professional baseball players being role models. They are such. Have their egos grown too much? Most definitely, but to get to the "show" the talent must be there. So many minor leaguers never reach that goal. The pros are in the limelight and as such should live up to the standards set. Millions of fans from 5 years old to 95 years old look up to their heroes no matter what team they play for and young impressionable kids can easily be swayed to take on improper behavior as demonstrated by some of their role models. These young kids are the future of baseball, which to me is the greatest sport. Just my humble opinion. I like most sports, but I simply love baseball. I would love to see the integrity of the game upheld by all from the lowliest MLB employee to the top.
    Creating a FB Group or starting a petition to get MLB to change their decision is just silly. It's futile.

It sucks, but it is what it is. The fans will have have their say every time the Astros come into town. They are going to be a traveling circus. The villain that MLB needs. My guess is you see an uptick in the interest of baseball. That, I can guarantee, is something the league is elated about.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Ahhhhhh so nice to watch baseball on TV again.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I heard the Blue Jays won't be able to play in Canada.

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yup. The Federal government made the call today. So they will be shipping down south for the season. No announcements yet in their home field. People are speculating Buffulo but apparently the lighting there isnt up to MLB standards. Should be interesting - but as a Jay's fan who lives beside the Roger's Centre, I'm glad they're not crossing into the states and back into Canada every few days all (short) season long. Our borders are closed for a good reason.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    Yup. The Federal government made the call today. So they will be shipping down south for the season. No announcements yet in their home field. People are speculating Buffulo but apparently the lighting there isnt up to MLB standards. Should be interesting - but as a Jay's fan who lives beside the Roger's Centre, I'm glad they're not crossing into the states and back into Canada every few days all (short) season long. Our borders are closed for a good reason.
    I think it's a sounds decision. I don't blame them. I forgot what real leadership looks like.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, out of all the sports, MLB's plan is the least sound. NBA could find some hiccups. Hockey's two hub cities in Canada seem like a pretty safe deal. If only there were adequate baseball facilities up here.

I was optimistic it could work up here. At least we'd get to see the Dome for their home games. It wasn't a totally horrible situation considering the stadium has the hotel built into it so players wouldn't have to leave, minimizing outdoor contact. But I get why they've made the choice they've made.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast