Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the better series?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus

19 57.58%
  • Doctor Who

14 42.42%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BTVSAT - Quarterfinals: 1960s (Bracket 1)

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'm not surprised. MP is a bastion of surrealism and comedy. It's museum-quality programming. Who's just cool.
    Who's better than "just cool", pablo. It's a show that has captured the imaginations of generations of children, whilst at the same time providing incredibly strong and mature storytelling across nearly 5 decades. Time and time again it's proven to have the widest range of storytelling possible, from comedy one week to horror the next to even grand, epic finales. I know Python's big, but Who deserves to do better than this.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If Who was up against pretty much any other series in this decade, I'd agree.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Doctor Who.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Come on, more votes for Who, please! Out of these two British shows, Who is easily the more important! Ask any Brit on this board! Show me a Brit who doesn't know what a Dalek or a Weeping Angel is, and I'll show you a Brit who's not even a day old!

- Melike

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I'd imagine that most Brits know that a nod is as good as wink to a blind bat as well.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I don't know why I keep checking this board...it's just a blow to my fandom heart every time I look!

Honestly, though, if Who had to lose, I suppose Monty Python would be an honorable victor. It's pretty damn funny, and would get my vote if it was against anything else....doesn't mean I can't join DD in his plea for more Who votes, though!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I'd imagine that most Brits know that a nod is as good as wink to a blind bat as well.
    Actually, nope. I'd never heard of that till now, and it's not something my mates would be aware of. Python was popular over here, but from what I've heard it may have been even bigger in America, whereas the daleks and the TARDIS are so iconic, they've ended up in the Oxford dictionary. 'Nuff said!

- Melike

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    whereas the daleks and the TARDIS are so iconic, they've ended up in the Oxford dictionary. 'Nuff said!
    Pythonesque.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

you'd be surprised at how little the British public know about MP
    you can mention Ministry of silly walks or dead parrot and they would look at you like you are a little bit insane.

Actually, nope. I'd never heard of that till now, and it's not something my mates would be aware of. Python was popular over here, but from what I've heard it may have been even bigger in America, whereas the daleks and the TARDIS are so iconic, they've ended up in the Oxford dictionary. 'Nuff said!
    exactly, while i have nothing against python - it has not survived the test of time as well as Dr who. Every single person in the UK knows what a Tardis is and i would say more than half can even tell you what is stands for. These are people that have either grown up with Dr who or are new comers.

Over here Dr Who is generation wide, whereas Monty python is set to a certain generation. I'm not trying to be contraversial with this, but its true in the UK that only a certain generation where ever into Monty Python, there may be other age groups that like it - but this is because they have been introduced to it via someone else, whereas the Who fans are fans because they have their very own Dr

think about it, what other programme can you honestly say that each age group/generation has their very own lead character, and this then spawns arguements over 'my Dr is better than your Dr' but its all the same programme?

I feel very sad that Dr Who will be blasted out of this round by a programme that while it was good, has a very limited appeal.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Couldn't have put it better myself, candy. Even me, raised in a generation that hardly had any Doctor Who in his childhood, became a fan because I watched Paul McGann's Doctor in the one off movie back in 1996, and naturally I think he's the best Doctor, just as many friends of mine who thought Tennant was the best because he was the first one they watched. I don't think anyone on this board who isn't British truly grasps just how big and important to our culture Who is over here, and just how tiny even Python is by comparison. Although candy did just give one hell of a good explanation for it!

- Melike

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

say no more, say no more!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure they do. So what? Oh, that's right... the expression was used in a skit. Yeah, that was funny.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I'm sure they do. So what? Oh, that's right... the expression was used in a skit. Yeah, that was funny.
    Get off my nutsack. You knew exactly what I meant. Stop trying to be a dick.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I knew what you meant, but it took me a minute. Honestly.
    Whether you also meant to say that MPFC was a super-creative, ultra-important program, I'm still not absolutely sure about.
    What I was trying to do was express my opinion to the contrary. I think it's okay, but not all that.
    Alright?

It was in reply to DD saying everyone in Britain knew what a TARDIS or a Weeping Angel were. I was saying that I expected that everyone knew skits from Python as well, which it turns out I was wrong about, i guess.

On another note:
    Monty Python kind of swept through the United States after they did Live from the Hollywood Bowl, I think, and pretty much stayed relatively popular after that. When I was in high school, I was a band geek. We actually had parties from time to time after school in the band room where we brought snacks and such and watched Monty Python stuff, because nearly everyone in the high school band was obsessed with it, including the director.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ah yes, it's always great watching your favourite show with mates, something i've done many times when watching a brand new ep of Who. Well, with mates who enjoy it as much as you do, or at least enough to keep quiet. Unless it's too awesome or emotional for that, leading to some of the best viewing experiences when watching a tv programme ever: hearing the words "I am *** ******" in Utopia brought out screams of "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!" from me and my mates, but i think my favourite was The Stolen Earth: alcohol, nachos, a ton of people and me and my best mate going "OMG!" and "WOAH!" a lot, before screaming, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" at the cliffhanger. Classic times! (Even her boyfriend's statement to us of, "You two seriously need to get laid" didn't affect our fanboy/girl geekiness! Like i said, classic times!)

Anyway, any show that causes ridiculously over the top, emotional reactions like that deserves to get to the semi-finals, at least! More votes for Who, please!

- Melike

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

NI!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yes: any show that has had over 45 years of awesomeness, a ridiculously wide range of storytelling, and episodes that can handle things like racism and mental illness and still be good family viewing deserves to go on! Vote Doctor!

(And my God, we Brits really aren't that exposed to much Monty Python these days: I had to actually look up what "Ni!" meant!)

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

(And my God, we Brits really aren't that exposed to much Monty Python these days: I had to actually look up what "Ni!" meant!)
    I find that amazing. Oh well, maybe it's a generational thing.

Country
    Country Flag

Monty Python's Flying Circus is moving on to the Semifinals, having received 19 votes (57.58%). Its score is now 184.90.

Don't get down Doctor Who fans!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I find that amazing. Oh well, maybe it's a generational thing.
    Or a UK/US thing. I keep telling you guys, Monty Python seems to be bigger in the US than even the UK. Believe me, I get amazed everytime i read the question, "What's a dalek?"

Monty Python's Flying Circus is moving on to the Semifinals, having received 19 votes (57.58%). Its score is now 184.90.
    To quote Spaced,

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O OOOOOOO!"

Most awesome character in television voted out far, far too soon! Ah well. If Monty Python won, I might as well and post John Cleese's best clip ever on here myself:

- Melike

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

*hugs DD*

I know this is tragic for you.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Thanks, Erin. Yes, it's about as unbelieveably tragic for me as it is for alkanto, or as tragic as it would be for feev and Ricky if Lost somehow lost the tournament!

But i'm currently watching a ton of awesome clips from City of Death (one of the best. stories. ever) to make up for it! Favourite moment?

"You're a beautiful woman, probably." Love it! Tom Baker = legend!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

At least it didn't lose to a cartoon MP is a worthy victor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast