Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst S/L or Collectible Item Ever?

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

I'll be off to our local used book store soon to pick-up some Straub.
    I believe I'll start with Ghost Story or Floating Dragon.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by east-tennessee View Post
    I'll be off to our local used book store soon to pick-up some Straub.
    I believe I'll start with Ghost Story or Floating Dragon.
    I'd recommend GHOST STORY. Personally I liked FLOATING DRAGON as others on this thread have also said. But FD is the one book that seems to be most reviled by critics/reviewers. I'm not sure of their reasons but would hate for you to start with a Straub book that lots of readers don't seem to like.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thegreattim View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but where are the "scratch and dent" copies available?
    This was an email from CD I received 12/6:

Hi there!

You're receiving this email because you recently bought something through the Cemetery Dance online store and we wanted to offer you the opportunity to purchase one of our recent hardcover books for just $2.99 plus shipping!

Today we received a box of the trade hardcover 1st printing of PORK PIE HAT by Peter Straub back from one of our distributors. These books show the smallest signs of wear and tear, but they'd make great copies for a general reader. They are complete with their beautiful dust jacket painted by Glen Orbik (the cover artist for Blockade Billy by Stephen King) and all of the pages are intact, etc. These copies just have the tiniest of imperfections, so we can't offer them as brand new.

Instead of putting these in our next dinged Grab Bag, we thought we'd try an experiment and offer these hardcovers for just $2.99 each plus shipping -- that's 85% off the retail price and a steal of a deal!

We've added the $2.99 version to the product page if you'd like to pick up a copy of this terrific Peter Straub book for a huge discount. Here is the link to place your order while supplies last:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/straub02

Thanks, as always, for your continuing support!
    John

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Huh, thanks John. Of the hundreds of emails I receive from CD each year, I somehow didn't make this list. Thanks!

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I really enjoyed Straub's A Special Place: The Heart of a Dark Matter which was a stand alone back story/companion novella to A Dark Matter.

Traveler Dave Hinchberger is on a distinguished road

Default The Green Woman signed and numbered edition

In response to The Green Woman signed and numbered edition with the author's participation: Just to be clear, this is not a limited edition. This is a signed and numbered copy of the Vertigo edition. We did not produce this as a limited hardcover from OC Press, nor have we ever listed it as such. We were limited to the number of copies to be signed, and we offered our customers the chance to pick a number (first come, first served on the number of course). We did however offer monetary compensation to the authors and thus we had to increase the price. In fact many of you ordered your copy early at the original price of $49.95, we had to increase that price once the second author unexpectedly agreed to sign (and which we paid him for too), but we did not increase the price of any early orders - that was just a bonus for you - and we appreciate advance orders. There has obviously been some confusion and I hope this helps. If you have any questions you are always welcome to e-mail me at overlookcn@aol.com or call us at 678-567-9777. Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone on The Dark Tower web site. All my best, Dave Hinchberger, Owner, Overlook Connection Bookstore and Press. Jan. 2nd, 2011

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hinchberger View Post
    This is a signed and numbered copy of the Vertigo edition. We did not produce this as a limited hardcover from OC Press, nor have we ever listed it as such.
    With all due respect, Dave, I am going to post the original e-mail that I received from you in August, 2010. I would ask the other members of this forum to read both pages of the e-mail promoting the book, asking them to keep an open mind and not be too influenced by the preceding posts in this thread, and then decide if they think this offer is for a signed/limited edition or a signed copy of the trade edition by Vertigo. Vertigo is not mentioned at all in this promotional e-mail.

If you were reading this e-mail for the first time what would you have expected to receive? An S/L or a copy of the common trade edition signed on the back of the dust jacket with the number scribbled on by hand?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would think that I was receiving a signed and numbered book, of which only 150 were produced.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

After reading the Email, I personally would have assumed Overlook Connection as the publisher. Therefore, when I read "signed edition" a limitation page would have been expected.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

"There will only be 150 copies of this signed edition."

The claim is pretty cut and dry; from that, I would expect a book with some sort of firm limitation - which the signed dustjacket DOES do in a way...but barely. I mean, if you got Straub and the artist to sign a DJ at some point in the future and just gave it some random number you would technically create another copy of "this signed edition."

But, the ad doesn't claim anything like "bound in signature page" or anything like that....so it is accurate as far as that goes.

If it had just been called a "personally signed dustjacket that we've limited to 150 Overlook-produced numbered copies," I think that would have been a more accurate description.

At best, the original statement is a very loose intepretation of what we all believe a true s/l edition consists of. I wouldn't call it a 'lie,' but I think the statement's truth is stretched pretty far.

Having said that, at $49, I don't think this is overpriced...I'm sure customers would have been perfectly content to buy it with a more specific description of what they were getting. As always, the motto should be "promise less than you deliver and everybody will always be happy."

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, perhaps some of the phrasing was vague or open to interpetation, but I am no where near the experienced collector some of you folks are and the fact that it is a "Graphic Novel" and was priced at $49, would have told me right off that it was not a S/L with a limitation page, etc , etc. I don't recall ever seeing a traditional S/L for less than 3 figures. At the very least, I would have emailed him and asked "What's this"? before buying. I have always found Dave to be extremely communicative and open. To me, Graphic Novel = Comic Book. I'm sure he offered a complete refund to you, no? With all due respect, if it had been handled privately as a customer service complaint, I know Dave would have done something to try to make you happy in the end.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing a traditional S/L for less than 3 figures.
    Really? Traditional S/Ls for a lot of authors other than King usually go for less. Here is an example of the new Repairman Jack novel by F. Paul Wilson to be published by Gauntlet. This is one that is fresh on my mind because I just ordered a copy. The signed and numbered edition is $85. I've bought S/Ls by Straub from Borderlands Press in that price range too.

http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin...R_ID=541558051

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I have always found Dave to be extremely communicative and open. I'm sure he offered a complete refund to you, no? With all due respect, if it had been handled privately as a customer service complaint, I know Dave would have done something to try to make you happy in the end.
    Well, prior to starting this thread I sent an inquiry wanting to know why I didn't get my requested number of 3 or (as an alternate) the next lowest number instead of the #42 that I did receive. (The webpage still lists many numbers lower than 42 as available.) Still waiting on the reply. So, in this case, the customer service that you rave about seems lacking to me.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

To each his own, I guess
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

My personal opinion is:

The email above is technically correct, however it is clearly misleading in spirit and expectation. Nowhere does it mention that this is a trade edition from another publisher nor does it state that the signatures and limitation will be on the back of the dustjacket rather than in the book itself. Buyers should not have to proactively contact a publisher to ask these things. With known reputable publishers, the answers are, and should be, assumed to meet the collector/small press customer market expectations.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Many, and almost ALL, of CD's non-SK limited editions are below $100...(actually, I'm talking out my ass...I think I'm right, but I'm not going to go to CD's website to confirm).

I'm not sure what difference it makes whether it's a graphic novel/comic book/novel/novella/whatever...SOD I+II is basically a graphic novel, right?

Bottom line is it was advertised as 150 signed-limited copies, but they did nothing but add their own alteration to an existing trade edition...that's not really that "limited." Sure, you can always email anybody and ask for clarification...but there should be reasonable expectation that the basic description is accurate and not open to misinterpretation, like this one definitley was.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I find Dave Hinchberger to be public in offering to help/satisfy a customer, but when contacted he offers excuses rather than assistance. A prime example is the coffin case for Less Than Human. I know the issue is over 15 years old (perhaps that is why it should be resolved!), but when contacted requesting original pictures, specs, info etc. so that an aftermarket case could be sought, Dave's tepid response was "
    Don't have any specs or pictures handy. This was quite some time ago. If I do run across them I will probably post them up on the site for the sake of history.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Best,

Dave
    Perhaps it is time to break a separate thread out discussing The Overlook Connection.

It took years, but Cemetery Dance came and discussed issues, and most importantly resolved them.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I find Dave Hinchberger to be public in offering to help/satisfy a customer, but when contacted he offers excuses rather than assistance. A prime example is the coffin case for Less Than Human. I know the issue is over 15 years old (perhaps that is why it should be resolved!), but when contacted requesting original pictures, specs, info etc. so that an aftermarket case could be sought, Dave's tepid response was "
    Don't have any specs or pictures handy. This was quite some time ago. If I do run across them I will probably post them up on the site for the sake of history.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Best,

Dave
    Perhaps it is time to break a separate thread out discussing The Overlook Connection.

It took years, but Cemetery Dance came and discussed issues, and most importantly resolved them.
    Very true, but CD had Sai King to bail them out of their errors. Just saying....
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The response just seemed as though Dave was unwilling, not unable, to dig up the literature that he used to sell the book.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    The response just seemed as though Dave was unwilling, not unable, to dig up the literature that he used to sell the book.
    In my experience, I cannot agree, but then again, I'm not you or others. He's been more than great as far as I'm concerned. I've had an issue or two, but always quickly and amicably resolved. But again, I'm speaking to my experiences alone and I have had quite a few.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just my opinion, but the use of the phrase "signed and numbered edition" in the above email certainly does lead me to believe a signed and numbered edition was being published. The wording suggests a separate publication, not the same book with the same dustjacket signed and numbered.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As someone who has purchased NUMEROUS signed graphic novels, this is horse-shit.
    I have a signed copy of the Watchmen by Moore and Gibbons signed on a limitation page, and purchased when issued for $49.95.
    Sin City by Frank Miller, Mephisto in Onyx by Ellison and Miller, Stardust by Gaiman, Madman by Allred, Kingdom Come by Waid and Ross, Stray Toasters by Sienkiewicz, and these are off the top of my head, (I am in a hotel room out of town)
    All with signed limitation pages, all under $100.

I have done business with Dave also, and other than VERY slow shipment, have had no problems. Even considered ordering the Green Woman myself, I like Bolton's art.
    I am glad I didn't, it is horse-shit.
    Who signs on the rear of a dustjacket? And then put a sticker on the jacket?
    I would have felt less violated paying that price for a pristine unsigned copy.

I am sure I would not have handled it with the dignity Bob has displayed.

Get your money back Bob.

Karl

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

Well, probably not belonging here, but anyways: Dave is a great guy, he's helpful and easy to do business with when ordering stuff from his store, but he strangely doesn't seem to like to answer e-mails when these e-mails are containing questions on why I didn't receive all the King material that I believe I bought and paid for. I decided to give up, and still find the non-responding behavior very suspicious. And I was friendly in my e-mails. Oh, well...

Gunslinger Apprentice BigCoffinHunter is on a distinguished road BigCoffinHunter's Avatar

Default Cemetery Dance

This is from Cemetery Dance's description page for their numbered edition of Full Dark, No Stars:

"Traycased Oversized Hardcover Signed Limited Edition of only 750 copies printed in two colors and bound in leather with two color hot foil stamping, a satin ribbon page marker, and embossed endpapers, signed by Stephen King ($350)."

Now, their description is much more detailed than that of Overlook Connection's book, and yet nowhere does it indicate on Cemetery Dance's page that the Stephen King signature will appear on a limitation page. Still, I would never dream that this book would arrive with a signature on the dustjacket.

Now, some may say "But that's a $350.00 book..." Well, here's a better example. A couple weeks ago I received my copy of The Exorcist and Legion from Cemetery Dance. Here's their description:

"Deluxe Oversized Hardcover Limited Edition of 750 signed and numbered copies bound in full-cloth, Smyth sewn, featuring a bound-in satin ribbon page marker, and issued without a dust jacket to resemble an old world volume ($75)"

Once again, nowhere does it state that it will be signed on a limitation page, and yet the book is (the fact that it did not contain a satin ribbon page marker is a separate issue). Additionally, while the book is listed at $75.00, I was able to purchase it for under $50.00 direct from Cemetery Dance using one of their coupon codes, so I would consider this a fair comparison.
    "Smile... It is a fine day..."

Gunslinger Apprentice JasonUK is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    I guess the worst s/l I own is the Bag of Bones UK edition. A first edition trade with the s/l bookplate attached. Still happy to have it, but it is extremely boring.
    Hi, longtime lurker here, just breaking cover to say I think this is a bit harsh. As you correctly say, it is a trade edition with a signed bookplate. Here is the description from www.stephenkingcollector.com

"When SK went to England for a book tour he signed 2,000 bookplates that H&S pasted onto their 1st trade edition. Thus creating a limited edition (of sorts)."

However, it should be noted that (as far as I'm aware) the publisher never touted this as being a separate limited edition, and, most importantly, it was sold for the same price as the trade edition. It was only available at 1 or 2 events on the tour and was a bonus for people who had bought tickets to see Mr King.

It is unfair to compare this book to a true limited edition. When buying it on the secondary market, I think it should be treated more like a flat-signed 1st edition than a limited. The main difference is that you know the signature is authentic.

Jason

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast