Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst S/L or Collectible Item Ever?

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Part of me was hoping that the cover pic on the product page was just a placeholder until the book was finished. Unfortunately it was not. The only thing I can be thankful for, is that I got it for a very decent price, well below retail. If I had paid full, I'd probably return it.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

You know, I never looked inside my S/L Cujo, except maybe to see the signature, but I always thought it was a nice looking book, at least on the outside.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, call me crazy, but $49.95 for a S/L book by a name author? That's not bad when you compare to the other guys. Yeah, Its a "Graphic Novel" and all, but c'mon the guys held it and signed it. You want "Big Ticket" S/L's got to CD. That's what they do. If I could get the same thing for my King "Graphic Novels" I would jump at it!!!!!! OC is doing a great job and should be appreciated for the small press publisher it is. From what I can see, its a great job IMHO. I like the more "personal" touch. Worst S/L? I don't think so.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Well...it's $49 because nobody will pay much more than that....they aren't heroes for charging a cheap price; they're charging market value. If SK did the same thing, it wouldn't be $49, so not really comparable.

They didn't hold it (of course, nobody ever holds the book...just the signature sheets), but just signed the dustjacket. I'm not sure I see a whole lot of personal touch...more like doing it as cheaply as they could.

But, like I said before, at $49, it's not terribly overpriced or anything...but doens't make it an especially impressive effort. "Usher II" looked worse...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Well...it's $49 because nobody will pay much more than that....they aren't heroes for charging a cheap price; they're charging market value. If SK did the same thing, it wouldn't be $49, so not really comparable.

They didn't hold it (of course, nobody ever holds the book...just the signature sheets), but just signed the dustjacket. I'm not sure I see a whole lot of personal touch...more like doing it as cheaply as they could.

But, like I said before, at $49, it's not terribly overpriced or anything...but doens't make it an especially impressive effort. "Usher II" looked worse...
    Well, they probably "held" the DJ then, Man, I gotta move on from this game!! LOL LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Ok, call me crazy, but $49.95 for a S/L book by a name author? That's not bad when you compare to the other guys. Yeah, Its a "Graphic Novel" and all, but c'mon the guys held it and signed it. You want "Big Ticket" S/L's got to CD. That's what they do. If I could get the same thing for my King "Graphic Novels" I would jump at it!!!!!! OC is doing a great job and should be appreciated for the small press publisher it is. From what I can see, its a great job IMHO. I like the more "personal" touch. Worst S/L? I don't think so.
    Peter Straub is one of my favorite authors. I've read all of his books at least twice and some more than that. I think I even like reading his books more than books written by Stephen King. I have a large Straub collection and am continually trying to add to it. Having said all of that the fact is that Peter's signature adds little if any monetary value to a book. When a new Straub book is published it is child's play to get a signed copy of the first edition at the published price. Booksellers like VJ Books, Mark Lavendier and that "signed first editions" guy all sell legit signed copies at issue price. When Straub does a signing one only has to call the bookstore and order one at the retail price.

The book with which I started this thread is a signed first trade edition not much different from many others available at issue price for anyone who wants to do a little searching on the internet. It is advertised as an S/L in a misleading manner (IMO). When I pre-ordered this little jewel I'm not sure what I was expecting but I was expecting something better than a signed trade edition with a number written on the f***ing dust jacket.

Well, as the saying goes "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Bob,

You have sparked my intrest in reading Straub! I have only read the Talisman & black House with King...
    Which of his would you recommend..

Brian

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Same here, I've only read the Talisman/Blackhouse as well. I do have a copy of Koko & Mystery sitting on my bookshelf however, are they any good?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Straub's Floating Dragon a lot. That is what got me hooked on reading him.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Well, as the saying goes "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
    ...not when George Bush says it!

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    ...not when George Bush says it!
    Is it just me, or has late night talk show comedy gone downhill since Bush left office???

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    I liked Straub's Floating Dragon a lot. That is what got me hooked on reading him.
    I believe that was my first Straub as well. Loved it, just like some of his other earlier works, like Ghost Story and especially Shadowland.

His more recent books don't appeal to me too much. Unfortunately.

sk

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by east-tennessee View Post
    Bob,

You have sparked my intrest in reading Straub! I have only read the Talisman & black House with King...
    Which of his would you recommend..

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by jimimck View Post
    Same here, I've only read the Talisman/Blackhouse as well. I do have a copy of Koko & Mystery sitting on my bookshelf however, are they any good?
    You can't go wrong if you start with GHOST STORY. It's one of Peter's best books from his "early" career. It's been made into a great movie, republished by specialty press publishers, etc. Classic novel.

THE HELLFIRE CLUB might also be a good first choice. It's one from Peter's "middle" period of his career. Lots of action (IIRC), a great villain in Dick Dart, and a real page turner.

My personal favorite is THE THROAT. But I hesitate to recommend someone start with it. It's the final book in a loose trilogy that includes KOKO and MYSTERY. Each book can certainly be read as a stand alone novel and you aren't required to read them in order but I remember quite a few references in THE THROAT to the prior two books that I found very enjoyable. I think THE THROAT is the best mystery novel I have ever read.

Peter has been writing with "intentional ambiguity" in some of his more recent books and that is something I don't really care for. I like all loose ends tied up when I finish a novel.

And yes, jimimck, KOKO and MYSTERY are excellent books. Both very high on my list of favorite Straub novels.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

The only Straub I've read is GHOST STORY and BLACK HOUSE. I liked GS but I was highly dissapointed in BH (ok, I just about hated it).

Must edit this - of course I've read THE TALISMAN, which I highly enjoyed.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    L-O-V-E-D 'Floating Dragon.' I read it when I was 13, and I was legitimately terrified for a couple weeks after...that, and Pet Sematery are the only two books that managed to do that for real (probably not true, but those are the two I remember, so they carry more weight).

There's an s/l of it (can't remember the publisher), but it was uninteresting enough to never get me motivated to buy it, despite how much I loved the book...not the worst s/l, maybe, but certainly not a memorable one.

But...I chased the 'Dragon' afterwards, and none of his other books ever hit that high point again....entertaining and interesting sometimes, but never really great. I don't think I've read anything since 'Windows Without Doors.'

I did not notice that the first book on the thread was just a trade edition with a signed d/j...that's much lamer than I originally thought!

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for all the Straub suggestions guys.

Brian...

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, this reminded me once again that I need to read some Straub in 2011.

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

And yes, jimimck, KOKO and MYSTERY are excellent books. Both very high on my list of favorite Straub novels.
    Cheers, sounds as though I've found my next non-King story to read.

Gunslinger Apprentice MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG's Avatar

I want to add 'Lost Boy, Lost Girl' to the list of great Straub books. I put that one up with 'Ghost Story' and 'The Hellfire Club'. You can't go wrong with any of these. The follow up to 'Lost Boy, Lost Girl', 'In The Nightroom' is a good continuation of the story but but as good as the first story.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've really enjoyed all of the Straub I've read...Julia, If You Could See Me Now, Houses Without Doors, Shadowland, Floating Dragon, Ghost Story, Koko, Sides, Talisman (of course).
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've only read two Straub and I didn't like either, I read Mr X like ten years ago, too long ago to remember why I didn't like it but I didn't want to read anymore after that. Then I read the Talisman which I just found not interesting at all, I mean there was enough happening that I should have enjoyed it but I dunno the writing just felt flat and bland and I couldn't get care about it. Now there's only one other King book that I've not enjoyed so you can guess who I'm blaming for that!.

Not really looking forward to reading Black House now.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I always loved "Ghost Story, Floating Dragon and Shadowlands". In fact, I just re-read "Shadowlands", but for some reason, although I have tried, the rest of his stuff turned me off like a faucet!!! Ghost Story was "Da Bomb' and the movie did it no justice!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just got one of the "scratch and dent" copies of Straub's Pork Pie Hat from CD. I haven't started it yet, though, because I'm about a quarter of the way through Tom Clancy's newest Jack Ryan book, Dead or Alive.

John

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

That's funny. I just finished Pork Pie Hat, great little book! Put on a Blues CD while you read it!
    I also just downloaded the new Clancy to my Kindle!
    Good reading lately!

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pardon my ignorance, but where are the "scratch and dent" copies available?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast