Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Just After Sunset - New King short story collection

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It will contain the new unpublished "A Very Tight Place", which I think is about someone trapped in a portaloo.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe the upcoming "The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates" as well...
    But this one is due by the end of the year so...

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The Mod on the official SK Board has stated that this title may not be the final one! I wish they would make up their minds as I keep running out of jokes about the title.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Keep in mind that a large chunk of the reading public, even those that are huge Stephen King fans, aren't going to collect each of the magazines that they initially appear in. When I first got Everything's Eventual, all the stories were brand new to me.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Same here. I usually don't get a chance to get his short stories. I only pick them up if I can easily find them in a magazine that I can get at book store. In fact, I think the only one that I've got is The Gingerbread Girl.
    Although it would be great if he would put together a collection of short stories that were never published anywhere before, but I doubt that'll happen.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    The Mod on the official SK Board has stated that this title may not be the final one! I wish they would make up their minds as I keep running out of jokes about the title.
    I think King is having us all on-at least twice so far.
    I can't believe they will publish the book with either ogf the two titles discussed to date.
    Kind of like when Howard Stern wanted to title his book "Penis", so that people mentioning it would have to say 'Howard Stern's Penis'. Of course the book was re-titled.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Regarding the inclusion of never-before-published stories in King's collections, I don't expect (although it would be nice) to have an entire collection of them. All I'm really hoping for is a couple of new stories in the book, similar to what he did with all his other collections except Everything's Eventual. That's all.

John

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Aside from the two stories that were contained in Blood & Smoke I was completely unfamiliar with the stories published in EE. It'll be interesting to see how this collection is put together.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Maybe the upcoming "The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates" as well...
    But this one is due by the end of the year so...
    I don't think that story will be published in 'Pocket Rockets' because it is scheduled to be published first in F&SF magazine. That edition will not be out until Oct/Nov.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    Ha ha, great title! I still like Pocket Rockets better though! I wonder what the novel is? Maybe The Stand PT II?
    Bangor Daily News interview:

The author is now in the midst of writing a long novel set in western Maine. "So tell folks they can enjoy a short vacation in warm weather ["Duma Key"], then I’m coming back home," King joked.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

In an interview for USA Today King talks about his short story collection:
    His next book will be a collection of short stories, but he and his publisher can't agree on a title. He wants to call it Unnatural Acts of Human Intercourse, which "could be a tough sell in some markets."
    Serving as guest editor for The Best American Short Stories 2007, King says he rediscovered his love of short fiction, although few general-interest magazines continue to publish short stories.
    The short story has been replaced by the short chapter, he says, citing writers such as James Patterson and Robert Parker.
    "Also, movies don't help," says King, who writes a pop culture column for Entertainment Weekly. "People get socialized to expecting a single story, where they don't have to get to know new characters too often. When was the last time you saw an anthology film, like the Twilight Zone movie?
    "The only short-fiction movie to play in the past 10 years was Grindhouse, and it bombed. These two artistic fields are not the same, but the tastes of the audiences overlap in striking ways."
    He also has begun work on another novel, but he won't discuss it for fear of "bad luck. If I didn't think it would work out, I'd talk your ear off about it," he says and laughs.
    Or, he could just go for another walk and see what happens.
    Full article

Along the Path of the Beam MaraJShakespeare is on a distinguished road MaraJShakespeare's Avatar

I try to pick up the short stories as they come out these days; it's easier for me now, what with the changes in my living situation over the last six years. I think I've read most of the ones he's put out since EE in '02, anyway, though I know I've missed at least one ('Graduation Afternoon'). Living in an actual city helps, as there are more real bookstores with good periodical sections available- not that one needs them if they have a good internet hookup, but I still like the tactile experience of leaving the house and actually, physically shopping. I do this whenever I can; there's a much greater instant-gratification fix involved. That's also the reason I read the stories as they come out; I hate waiting for things. The trick is, I only read them once. That way, by the time the collection arrives, I'll have only the vaguest memories of most of them; even if I particularly love a story, I won't reread it until the collection comes out. That way, they're as good as new, or damn near anyway.

I guess I like to get them as they come now just because I can; I remember all too well what it's like to live way out in Shitsplat, Red State, USA with neither a civilised bookstore nor an ebay or amazon to call my own. Even there, one can find the new Stephen King book somewhere (you know, Wal-Mart or. . . well, one Mart or another), though anything more esoteric than that is hard to come by. A literary magazine? Forget it. A copy of The New Yorker? Dream on. Hell, King might run into some trouble out there if he really does call this collection Unnatural Acts of Human Intercourse ('Hey! That sounds like it's about fornicatin' or hommasexshuls or sumpthin'! Us honest, God-fearin' 'Mericans don't cotton to that stuff!'). I hope he sticks with it, though. From what I recall of recent stories, that title fits them all quite snugly. I hope the publishers don't talk him out of it, for fear of some reactionary misunderstanding from middle-America (see above). It's a great title, even better than Pocket Rockets; can't you just see people lining up in bookstores, red-faced, asking the clerks, 'Uhh. . . I'm looking for Unnatural Acts of Human Intercourse.' A slap in the face; 'Well, you're in the wrong kind of store, asshole!' Ha!

All humour aside, it is an awesome title. I can't wait to read the new stories, and reread the old ones, for the first time.
    We place no reliance
    Upon virgin or pigeon;
    Our method is science,
    Our aim is religion!

-Motto of Aleister Crowley

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The official name of the collection is Just Past Sunset.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

bummer - this title is a letdown! Even if the stories are not!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    The official name of the collection is Just Past Sunset.
    Thanks for that Bev.

They couldn't have picked a worse title.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmmm...really? I think its okay for a collection short stories.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

It will fit right in with the Mills and Boon set.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I changed the title of the thread to reflect the name.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds too much like Four Past Midnight. I can't say I like it very much, but it's what's inside that counts!

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I MUCH perfer this title.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Now let us all pray for a much lengthier Table of Contents than Everything's Eventual. A great collection, undoubtedly, but I'm hoping for a size akin to Skeleton Crew or even Nightmares & Dreamscapes.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default waiting for Just Past Sunset

I can't wait for the new book, Just Past Sunset to come out. I am currently reading Duma Key and The Dark Tower 7. I am so excited, can't be still.

Traveler mr.nineteen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

It will always be Unnatural Acts of Intercourse for me.

You know about Stephen King's Unnatural Acts of Intercourse?
    What?
    Yes, you know, just past sunset.

Country
    Country Flag

List of included stories coming "soon":

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=33

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Scribner
    Hardcover, 400 pages
    Publication Date: November 11, 2008
    Our Price: $28.00
    ISBN-10: 1-4165-8408-0
    ISBN-13: 978-1-4165-8408-7

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast