Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Just After Sunset - New King short story collection

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I bet King is secretly let down by most of his work. It seems really common in artists. Not that its shit, but certainly nothing to make any kind of fuss about.

I think a good example of how King really feels about his writing is reflected in Gordy and his attitude towards it. He's the only one that can't understand its really good.

But King is that good. Even his books I don't enjoy were sure worth the read imo.

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

Yeah, he's been kinda harsh towards some of his works where I just disagreed. IT, for example, The Tommyknockers (although it is flawed here and there), and others.

There hasn't been a book or story I didn't enjoy, but certainly some are better than others.

Since I'm no baseball fan, works such as Faithful was tough getting through, but I liked King's contributions. It's in his writing. He could write a book about fishing for trouts and I would like the writing.

BTW, is his intro for Just After Sunset just titled Introduction? And since there's the Sunset Notes section after the stories, does it mean King hasn't small notes before or after the tales, as he had in Everything's Eventual?

Just curious, not trying to get too much info on the book, although the waiting time is killing me.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just managed to get a copy of the US ARC of Just After Sunset. It should be in my hands by the end of this coming week. I'll let you know.

John

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by DanishCollector View Post
    Yeah, he's been kinda harsh towards some of his works where I just disagreed. IT, for example, The Tommyknockers (although it is flawed here and there), and others.

There hasn't been a book or story I didn't enjoy, but certainly some are better than others.

Since I'm no baseball fan, works such as Faithful was tough getting through, but I liked King's contributions. It's in his writing. He could write a book about fishing for trouts and I would like the writing.
    i think he's always been his harshest critic. in addition to the ones you listed he doesn't care for rose madder (a great book!). hell, he threw away carrie for gan's sake. wtf! don't listen to king, he doesn't recognize his written words' own worth sometimes, imo. but then i wonder what great author ever does? or what person ever really recognizes their own worth for that matter. . . .

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I just managed to get a copy of the US ARC of Just After Sunset. It should be in my hands by the end of this coming week. I'll let you know.

John
    Any chance you're getting 2? Maybe a postal error or something? If so, let me know and I'll buy the extra one from you!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

We can always hope!!

John

I remember his criticism of Rose Madder, and also Insomnia. It was in On Writing, if I remember correct. But, yeah, I've also heard/read/seen musicians and movie directors dishing some of their greatest works. Maybe they do that to not seem too egostic.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanishCollector View Post
    BTW, is his intro for Just After Sunset just titled Introduction? And since there's the Sunset Notes section after the stories, does it mean King hasn't small notes before or after the tales, as he had in Everything's Eventual?

Just curious, not trying to get too much info on the book, although the waiting time is killing me.
    The introduction to the book is simply titled "Introduction".

The notes at the end of the book are titled "Sunset Notes". There are no other notes before or after the stories themselves. It appears that each story has a note.

John

Thanks for the info, John. So it's more like Skeleton Crew and N&D in appearance, than EE.
    Oh God, I wish it was November 11 today!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love King's short stories and his collections. I also love a new King book, regardless of what it is. 11/11 can't come soon enough, indeed.

It'll be interesting to read what King has to say about The Cat from Hell. I really really wish he'd release a collection of all his uncollected and unpublished stories some day.

I'm sure The Cat From Hell has been revised to fit more into our timeline, but I hope he didn't do it too much. If he did it like he did Blaze, I would be satisfied.

Yes, there's a great deal of uncollected, rare stuff I would love to see collected too. I can understand his desire to not publish most of the early stuff, but he's had uncollected stuff from the 80s and 90s, but he might feel they are not fit to be read by the rest of the world.

he has to know that some of us (well, all of US) would read anything he's written - all those old stories, poems, essays, whatever. we don't trust his judgement about their worth. i've said that before i think.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

His shopping lists!!!! LOL
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    His shopping lists!!!! LOL
    well, maybe not those. but on the other hand. what does he eat that makes him come up with those ideas? or are they just naturally in his mind? or his psyche? or, perhaps, his genetic coding?

besides, i'll bet tabby makes up the shopping lists. i mean really, what man makes up the household shopping list? what man knows when the household needs toilet paper? paper towels? toothpaste?

Yeah, I often have to wipe my butt with the latest material from Jehova's Witnesses!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    i mean really, what man makes up the household shopping list? what man knows when the household needs toilet paper? paper towels? toothpaste?
    I hate to tell you this Turtle, but I'm the one that makes up the shopping list in my household. I also do the shopping. My wife volunteers five days a week at our church school, so I'm home more than she is! Plus she hates to do grocery shopping anyway.

In my family, my dad always did the shopping too. I guess it's a Hanic thing!

John

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    i mean really, what man makes up the household shopping list? what man knows when the household needs toilet paper? paper towels? toothpaste?
    I hate to tell you this Turtle, but I'm the one that makes up the shopping list in my household. I also do the shopping. My wife volunteers five days a week at our church school, so I'm home more than she is! Plus she hates to do grocery shopping anyway.

In my family, my dad always did the shopping too. I guess it's a Hanic thing!

John
    well, see my husband does some shopping but he wouldn't know a shopping list if it came up and introduced itself while biting him on the ass (and remember i love this guy with all my heart and soul!). and somehow he always forgets what i tell him we REALLY need. but seems to remember the fucking weird ass food. go figure.

so maybe we should end this now before i get burned in effigy yet again? my apologies to you john and to all the other men of the board who do their own/their family's shopping.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

My husband makes up the shopping list and shops better than I do! LOL

I browse and buy more than we need, he gets what is on the list and comes home!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Lookie what I found!

http://www.myspace.com/comicbooks
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by She-Oy View Post
    Interesting! I don't think this is anywhere else!

John

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well done!
    You should send it to lilja (if havent already be done)
    ;-)
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by She-Oy View Post
    thanks she-oy. that was a great interview.

i have held off watching this since i bought the book with the dvd and i wanted to watch them all at once. but now i want to go and watch them all right away.

what to do, what to do.

Country
    Country Flag

By the way, not sure if this was mentioned, but here are the details for the audio version of the book:

This short story collection is read by:

Stephen King (reading "Harvey's Dream")

Jill Eikenberry (reading "Graduation Afternoon" and "The New York Times at Special Discount Rates")

Holter Graham (reading "Willa," "The Cat from Hell" and excerpts of "N.")

George Guidall (reading "Ayana")

Ron McLarty (reading "A Very Tight Place" and "Stationary Bike," previously recorded)

Denis O'Hare (reading "Rest Stop" and the title character for "N.")

Ben Shenkman (reading "The Things They Left Behind" and the character Johnny for "N.")

Skipp Sudduth (reading "Mute")

Mare Winningham (reading "The Gingerbread Girl," previously recorded)

Karen Ziemba (reading the character Sheila for "N.")

Also, Amazon has a slightly revised cover for the collector's edition (the color is a tad darker and more muter, not sure I like that).

Plus, another short description for the collection is up at bn.com:

In his first collection in six years, Stephen King delivers his strongest, most broadly appealing stories ever. “Gingerbread Girl,” published in Esquire in July 2007 (unprecedented in number of magazine pages devoted to it), is set, like Duma Key, in Florida. It is a riveting, fabulously dramatic stalker tale featuring a young woman as vulnerable—and resourceful—as Audrey Hepburn’s character in “Wait Until Dark.” “Willa” published in Playboy, blurs the lines between living and the dead. “Ayana,” one of the most beautifully written and haunting stories, was published in The Paris Review. From the subtle and disturbing to the outright terrifying, these tales will thrill every known King fan and win new ones.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast