Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which character is King?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roland

8 25.00%
  • Eddie

9 28.13%
  • Susannah

1 3.13%
  • Jake

2 6.25%
  • None

12 37.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which DT Character is really Stephen King

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Which DT Character is really Stephen King

Ok. Not counting when King writes himself into the books, which character do you think-conciously, or subconciously is Stephen King?

I say subconciously Jake is SK. King was abandoned by his father at an early age-and I believe was deeply hurt by that. Roland represents what a good Father would be to King-a hero. Deeply flawed with a single purpose-The Dark Tower. Willing to abandon all, including Jake (King by proxy) in his pursuit.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Shouldn't Donald Callahan be an option? I don't think one character would "be" King, but a combination of Jake and Eddie. King already said that Roland is no where near like him.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice Ikilledthecrimsonking is on a distinguished road Ikilledthecrimsonking's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

IDK but my guess would be eddie just cause he kicks ass

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Shouldn't Donald Callahan be an option? I don't think one character would "be" King, but a combination of Jake and Eddie. King already said that Roland is no where near like him.
    Perhaps I should have added other choices, but there are (not counting OY) four main characters.
    I'll ask as facilitator to add the choice of none.

If you think Callahan is the one, please elaborate.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Perhaps I should have added other choices, but there are (not counting OY) four main characters.
    I'll ask as facilitator to add the choice of none.

If you think Callahan is the one, please elaborate.
    I think Callahan is a possibility because to me he is a main character. Like I said, I don't think of him being King or representing King. For me its a combination of Eddie and Jake. Jake for the reasons you mentioned and Eddie because from all the interviews I've seen and heard of King and knowing all his drug problems he seems to also be a lot like King.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd have to be obtuse and say all of them and none of them.

I think that as an author he draws on personal experience to lend credability and depth to his characters, but at the same time he takes pains to ensure he never completely encorporates himself as a character - other than when he actually was himself in DT.

I think anyone who writes...or even just daydreams about it, enjoys writing themselves into a role to a certain degree. But to avoid being narcissistic or simply acting out a fantasy on paper - you find that division between writing about what you know against who you actually are.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I actually think... none of them. I don't know why.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I said Roland but only because of Eddie's thought that he and King could be twins. No other reason. They are not similar, as King as said himself, but I like the idea.

Gunslinger Apprentice BedOfRoses will become famous soon enough BedOfRoses's Avatar

I think there are several that are reflections of King, but I'd say Eddie, not only because of his addictions, but because of his intelligence, wit and big heart.
    The rose speaks of love silently, in a language known only to the heart.

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted Eddie, but in truth, there's a little bit of King in all the characters, good or bad. And I'd imagine that would be true of all authors and their characters.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted none. I can't really believe a writer would make any of his characters fully like himself; here I completely agree with what Darkthoughts said.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm experiencing that euphoria Letti feels when you completely agree with her too

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course a character can't be fully like their writer (and I don't think Randall meant fully, either) but I think a writer is similar to all of his characters. Others have written it before, too.
    And it's absolutely possible that he is very similar to one of them. Their history or childhood or both can be very alike.

I think we (I hope you don't mind me using "we") write to write out something from ourserves. To write out fears... memories... wisdom... messages... and one of the ways we can choose is to put yourself - a big part or a small one - into a character.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I said Roland. I think King said something once about Roland being a bit like him.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice Asterisco is on a distinguished road Asterisco's Avatar

I think it has a little bit of all. That's another item the poll should have

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Asterisco View Post
    I think it has a little bit of all. That's another item the poll should have
    Too many people would pick that one.

Roland would have understood.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanted the choices to be a bit more clear cut in hopes of generating discussion.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Roland. Roland is King's alterego...his tough guy fantasy. He even looks like King. I think most men have at least one badass fantasy self. Don't you?

Of course..mine is the same as most guys.. who else?

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

That goes without saying. I meant the other one.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

My vote goes to Roland

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I'd have to be obtuse and say all of them and none of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I voted none. I can't really believe a writer would make any of his characters fully like himself; here I completely agree with what Darkthoughts said.

I agree too. I think king wrote a bit of himself in all of the them and none of them. I don't think anyone is truly king or what he hoped to be. I think if you look long enough you'll see a bit of himself in everything that he writes. i think most writers are that way.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Traveler murphois is on a distinguished road

Default Stephen King is the Dark Tower

Actually I've come to think of King (or his mind) as the Dark Tower.

King's mind contains all the levels of the tower (other worlds/books).
    I actually think his wife Tabitha is the Rose. If the rose crumbles, he (the tower) would be destroyed.
    When he was hit by the van, the tower was greatly disturbed and the entire world shook. His death certainly would have meant the end of all these stories.
    This may be stretching it a bit, but the field of roses around the tower are his fans/readers.
    When Roland reaches the top of the tower, the story begins again and Roland is brought back to the beginning of the first book. I think this represents a renewal as King decided to continue on writing. Prior to completing the final book of the series, he often said he would retire at that point, but then once he was finished, he found the desire to keep on writing.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That is an amazing comparison there murphois--I believe you may be on to something.

Welcome to the site.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast