Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: J.N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques-Gauntlet Press King Lettered

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I sent Barry an email expressing my displeasure.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry to hear about that RF, hope Barry can sort something out for you!

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    You can now buy the lettered for $500! Oh well, I love throwing a thousand dollars away every now and then....
    I was excited about only spending $900 on mine....oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about that RF, hope Barry can sort something out for you!
    What is to sort out?

Gauntlet offered something for sale, RF bought it, and over a year later, they reduced the price to get rid of remaining inventory. Them's is the breaks. If I had a crystal ball, I would have waited longer than I did not. So on the one hand, I am glad I did not pay full price, but on the other hand, wish I could have paid $500 instead.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't write Barry asking for or expecting anything. I just told him ..."I know you have to clear inventory out, but seeing a Lettered edition "remaindered" just encourages me (and others) to hold off buying the item at issue price. Had I done that, I would have an extra $1K. "

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I also spent a good deal of money on another SK limited edition which just sold from a different publisher for $300 less then I paid for it. So I am 'out' $1300 I could have spent on another nice limited book. But I agree with tippy4 completely. Them's the breaks. I'll still keep on collecting though.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I also spent a good deal of money on another SK limited edition which just sold from a different publisher for $300 less then I paid for it. So I am 'out' $1300 I could have spent on another nice limited book. But I agree with tippy4 completely. Them's the breaks. I'll still keep on collecting though.
    I do not agree. We are dealing with publishers who know we are collecting. They are publishing books for collectors. They are setting the limits, copies etc... , I believe the correct way to handle the situation is too sit on the inventory or destroy the inventory. There by increasing or maintaining the value of what they are offering. Who wouldnt be skeptical of what they are selling in the future, if they handle the extra's in this manner. Donald M Grant is not having a "fire" sale of unsold copies at discounted prices. Cemetery Dance and Overlook are not discounting when they have extra's. They should be embarrassed that they over estimated the number of copies that they made and should not be "discounting" to this extreme.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

That would be an absurd way to run a business. Cemetery Dance most definitely discounts their books. They routinely have 50% off sales, and have grab-bags with much larger savings than that. DMG has started providing their books for sale through Amazon; I don't know the exact details of the financial transactions, but I imagine that DMG gives a significant retail discount to Amazon, based on the prices they have. Amazon is probably the primary reason why the LSOE gift edition sold out.

And, while we're on the subject, G&G books went out of business in 1990s, after publishing just two books in the "Lawrence Block Library". LB ended up getting all of the unsold inventory in the end, and is still trying to dump them 20 years later. I have a few that I paid $10 for, and I know that he has no qualms about all the collectors who paid full price for them originally.

Citizen of Gilead killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

PS Pub also had a ebay discount on their LOCKE &KEY s/l's. I think it was around $100..and the original price was $250.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

I do not agree. We are dealing with publishers who know we are collecting. They are publishing books for collectors. They are setting the limits, copies etc... , I believe the correct way to handle the situation is too sit on the inventory or destroy the inventory. There by increasing or maintaining the value of what they are offering. Who wouldnt be skeptical of what they are selling in the future, if they handle the extra's in this manner. Donald M Grant is not having a "fire" sale of unsold copies at discounted prices. Cemetery Dance and Overlook are not discounting when they have extra's. They should be embarrassed that they over estimated the number of copies that they made and should not be "discounting" to this extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    That would be an absurd way to run a business. Cemetery Dance most definitely discounts their books. They routinely have 50% off sales, and have grab-bags with much larger savings than that. DMG has started providing their books for sale through Amazon; I don't know the exact details of the financial transactions, but I imagine that DMG gives a significant retail discount to Amazon, based on the prices they have. Amazon is probably the primary reason why the LSOE gift edition sold out.

And, while we're on the subject, G&G books went out of business in 1990s, after publishing just two books in the "Lawrence Block Library". LB ended up getting all of the unsold inventory in the end, and is still trying to dump them 20 years later. I have a few that I paid $10 for, and I know that he has no qualms about all the collectors who paid full price for them originally.

I have to agree....sorry RB...but that was just ridiculous. Publishers publish books to make money, not to increase the value of your collection. I doubt most small publishers like Gauntlet, DMG, and CD are getting rich, so every sale helps. And if you were a small publisher, would YOU burn your last four or five copies of a particular title if you could get $500 each for them?

And BOTH CD and DMG provide books to Amazon AND have sales. I bought a copy of IT and a Blockade Billy slipcase not too long ago for 50% off directly from CD.

And hey, let's be honest here...did anyone out there really think this book would increase or even hold its value? I knew this was going to be another FIFTY TO ONE scenario, which is why I waited until I could get it for 40% off at $900 (I just wish I had waited until the 66% off sale).

For the most part, King S/Ls hold their value or increase...but a few do lose value like FIFTY TO ONE and MASQUES.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

I can see both arguments, but I would not want to be in their position.

I still think the discount was too much. Not very respectful of your current and repeat customers. That being said, Maybe they should of went the DMG route, and had someone do remarks and raise the price!!

I was dispointed in my $125 gift edition and returned it. I am glad i did not buy the $1500 version!

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I got my Knowing Darkness S/L for around $300, a third of the almost $1,000 issue price. I am a very happy customer.

But at the same time, I can see why people are upset. It sucks, but at the same time it's kinda the name of the game. We rush to purchase something at a higher price because it might sell out. And if it sells out, then we don't get one. But if doesn't sell out ... and the price lowers ... it hurts. When the second Stephen King bobbleheads came out, I purchased mine for $75. A day ro so later, they were selling for around $30. That hurt, lol.

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post

I have to agree....sorry RB...but that was just ridiculous. Publishers publish books to make money, not to increase the value of your collection. I doubt most small publishers like Gauntlet, DMG, and CD are getting rich, so every sale helps. And if you were a small publisher, would YOU burn your last four or five copies of a particular title if you could get $500 each for them?

And BOTH CD and DMG provide books to Amazon AND have sales. I bought a copy of IT and a Blockade Billy slipcase not too long ago for 50% off directly from CD.

And hey, let's be honest here...did anyone out there really think this book would increase or even hold its value? I knew this was going to be another FIFTY TO ONE scenario, which is why I waited until I could get it for 40% off at $900 (I just wish I had waited until the 66% off sale).

For the most part, King S/Ls hold their value or increase...but a few do lose value like FIFTY TO ONE and MASQUES.
    This is how you sell books that you want to get rid of You should not discount the price by 67%

Joe Hill's HORNS [Signed Traycase] + 8 Signed Traycase Editions Joe Hill's HORNS [Signed Traycase] + 8 Signed Traycase Editions

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Presumably, you are talking about this deal from PS publishing. First off, they are selling 9 books with a retail value of £600 for £300, which is a 50% discount. That really isn't all that far from a 67% discount. Second, PS had a similar deal last year called "3 Signed TRAYCASE Editions (all 2009/2010) for £49.99'" you didn't get to choose which books you got, but Horns was included in the mix. Finally, when two copies of Horns came up for sale on ebay earlier in the year, they went for less than $100. PS can try to prop up the Joe Hill collector's market, but it's too late to insist that the book is worth £200; all that will happen is exactly what has happened: PS will hold onto the books until the time comes that they decide to sell them at a sizeable discount. It's also important to point out that Horns is the only in-stock book that gets this special treatment; what about the Ramsey Campbell or Rio Youers collectors, who paid £50 or £60 for their books, which are now apparently for sale at 8 for £100? Doesn't the publisher owe a debt to those collectors, or is the special treatment only for collectors of hyper-inflated books?

My Mood
    Asleep

Doesn't the publisher owe a debt to those collectors, or is the special treatment only for collectors of hyper-inflated books?[/QUOTE]

Now you understand where I am coming from! I only collect the Stephen King and Joe Hill Books. After reading all the comments, I admit that in my own mind I thought the publishers where trying to satisfy a collector/good repeat customer. It took me a while to realize they are only in it for the money.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Look.....nobody complains when their book goes up in value....so nobody should complain when they go down in value.

We all have the option of buying direct from the publisher when a book is released (if you have the rights to do so), or take your chances and hope the publisher will drop the price later to get rid of inventory.

Most King S/Ls sell out, and most hold or increase in value.

This one was the exception to both rules.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

If possible, it'd be nice to know what did Barry said when you contacted him, Jerome.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8