Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lawsuit charges King with plagiarism (Duma Key)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Lawsuit charges King with plagiarism (Duma Key)

Someone opened a complain to Stephen King regarding plaggiarism.
    Apparently about 60+ things from Duma Key would look like Ron Marquardt's"Keller's Den" book, published in 2002.

More details :
    http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/1...tephenKing.pdf
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Of all the things to plagiarize....

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Interesting....unwinnable, of course, but some of the similarities aren't totally out of the blue. I could see his point, even though I don't "Keller" (or "Duma") was exactly a groundbreaking plot.

Gunslinger Apprentice different_seasons will become famous soon enough different_seasons will become famous soon enough different_seasons's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quite a few similarities there.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Pure and utter rubbish. Obviously King wasn't the first person to write about someone who after a cathartic event (The Dead Zone) gains an ability that is "supernatural". I am moving this (reluctantly-It's not my job to delete what is public) to The Oracle. The lawsuit will undoubtedly plod on for years, but hopefully this thread will die much sooner.
    Thanks to Herbertwest for alerting us.
    At least the Plaintiff isn't quite the psycho as the person accusing King of murdering John Lennon.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Who's this guy anyway? There's not even a Wikipedia page. Nothing on Amazon.

And most of those are absolutely surface similarities. Bullshit. As in:

Both novels use the word “cavalry” as being rescued from the intruder when someone else shows up
    What. The. Fuck?

I think I missed the one where both novels use the word "the" multiple times, often at the beginning of sentences!

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Things are similar, yeah, but a person saying they wouldn't notice if the smoke detector went off is NOT the same as someone actually not noticing the rooms around them filling with smoke. Yeah, lots of similarities, but nothing directly stolen. This is a publicity thing, has to be. So dumb.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Discord Tag: Can*/Tommy (They/Them pronouns)#5588

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a shame that King is going to have to spend money on lawyers, etc. to defend himself against such a frivolous suit.

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Pardon, here's his magnum opus on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1591291011 - looks to be one of those self-published deals, with reviews likely by him, too.

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    It's a shame that King is going to have to spend money on lawyers, etc. to defend himself against such a frivolous suit.

John
    From what I gathered his publisher is getting sued, too, so if they're cool enough they might just let him share their lawyers.
    But yeah, it's just a shame.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Gunslinger Apprentice EvaH will become famous soon enough EvaH's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Pardon, here's his magnum opus on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1591291011 - looks to be one of those self-published deals, with reviews likely by him, too.
    Three of them are from the same person.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Similarities, yes. Plagarism? No way. Makes me wonder if this guy's in it for the publicity - thinking people will start buying his book just to compare it themselves.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

SPARE ME! How ridiculous is this??
    In reference to other people looking at each of the main character’s paintings or drawings:
    In Keller’s Den (page 39), Martin asks Janet, “What do you think?”
    In Duma Key (page 73), Edgar asks Ilse, “What do you think?”
    In Duma Key (page 166), Edgar asks Jack, “What do you think?”

In Keller’s Den (page 39), Janet asks Martin, “You did this?” and “When did you do this?”
    In Duma Key (Page 73), Ilse asks, “You really did these?” and “When did you do this?”
    In Duma Key (page 17), Dr. Karman asks Edgar, “You do this?”
    In Duma Key (page 256), Wireman asked Edgar, “When did you do this?”

In Keller’s Den (page 39), Janet says, “It’s so God-damned good.”
    In Duma Key (page 17), Dr. Karman says, “This is pretty good.”
    In Duma Key (page 73), Ilse says, “They’re good. Maybe better than good.”

In Keller’s Den (page 40), Martin asks “You really like it?”
    In Duma Key (page 88 ), Edgar asks “Do you like it?”
    ETA: Maybe the case will get thrown out of court because on page 5 item c, it notes SK's character "Edgar Freeman".

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Demon of the Prim Yeah Sure Whatever is on a distinguished road Yeah Sure Whatever's Avatar

San Francisco De California, Cusco, Peru, Peru
    My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

All these posts and no "You stole my story"

For shame!
    Check out my website for all sorts of Crocheted Goods. Not your grandma's crochet http://www.etsy.com/shop/yeahsurewhatever and my FB Fan Page too: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacifi...05080416199057

Country
    Country Flag

I'm just disappointed in the person who started the lawsuit. [shrugs] Pathetic.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Sure Whatever View Post
    All these posts and no "You stole my story"

For shame!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    SPARE ME! How ridiculous is this??
    In reference to other people looking at each of the main character’s paintings or drawings:
    In Keller’s Den (page 39), Martin asks Janet, “What do you think?”
    In Duma Key (page 73), Edgar asks Ilse, “What do you think?”
    In Duma Key (page 166), Edgar asks Jack, “What do you think?”

In Keller’s Den (page 39), Janet asks Martin, “You did this?” and “When did you do this?”
    In Duma Key (Page 73), Ilse asks, “You really did these?” and “When did you do this?”
    In Duma Key (page 17), Dr. Karman asks Edgar, “You do this?”
    In Duma Key (page 256), Wireman asked Edgar, “When did you do this?”

In Keller’s Den (page 39), Janet says, “It’s so God-damned good.”
    In Duma Key (page 17), Dr. Karman says, “This is pretty good.”
    In Duma Key (page 73), Ilse says, “They’re good. Maybe better than good.”

In Keller’s Den (page 40), Martin asks “You really like it?”
    In Duma Key (page 88 ), Edgar asks “Do you like it?”
    ETA: Maybe the case will get thrown out of court because on page 5 item c, it notes SK's character "Edgar Freeman".
    I liked these:

Keller’s Den has Billy (pages 129, 130, 131, 132, 144).
    Duma Key has Bill (page 395).
    Keller’s Den has Joe Keller (many chapters).
    Duma Key has Joe (page 523).
    They are seriously trying to use the fact that a single (extremely common) name that appeared on a single page as evidence of plagiarism?

Both novels reference the curse in the following comparison to a
    vampire:
    Keller’s Den -- “His sudden artistic impulses drew him to the
    canvas much in the way that a vampire is drawn to the
    uncontrollable urges that force his fangs into the necks of
    innocent victims. While stroking the brush across the canvas
    was satisfactory for one,
    Duma Key – “We’re talking about something far older and
    more monstrous. Hungry too. That much it does have in
    common with vampires. Only hungry for souls, not blood.
    (page 462).” The vampire reference here in Duma Key is more
    of a coerced association with the thoughts in Keller’s Den than
    it is corresponding into the story line in Duma Key. In other
    words, it’s out of place in Duma Key, but King liked this
    Keller’s Den excerpt well enough to squeeze it into Duma Key,
    particularly the part when King tries to contrast the Keller’s
    Den association to vampires that are hungry for blood. The
    hungry for souls, not blood part is comparable to the ancestry
    in Keller’s Den that is hungry for souls and “the taste of new
    blood to host his wretched soul” (Keller’s Den - page 145).
    Yea, because SK has never written about vampires before...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes

like one Soviet poet (allegedly) said once:

I've written a poem about love. The topic is closed.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    yes

like one Soviet poet (allegedly) said once:

I've written a poem about love. The topic is closed.
    Great quote!! LOL

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Country
    Country Flag

This is just mind-bogglingly stupid.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

You can bet that sales of "Keller's Den" have risen, though.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is sad. It's almost like the guy sat down and tried to find similarities to his own work.

Keller's Den: "The", page 22
    Duma Key: "The", page 23

The similarities speak for themselves!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't you just picture SK finishing Keller's Den and saying to himself, "Gee, I've never plagiarized before, but this is really tempting... I haven't read a book that good in all my decades as an exceptionally prolific and routinely best-selling author. Of course, if I get caught, it could hurt my reputation. Hm. Yeah, it's worth it!"

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Can't you just picture SK finishing Keller's Den and saying to himself, "Gee, I've never plagiarized before, but this is really tempting... I haven't read a book that good in all my decades as an exceptionally prolific and routinely best-selling author. Of course, if I get caught, it could hurt my reputation. Hm. Yeah, it's worth it!"
    Exactly, what pathoftheturtle said!

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Just redonkulous.

Spoiler:
    The author of the above statement reserves the use of the word "redonkulous". Its use is considered proprietary and any use of the word "redonkulous" without prior written authorization from said author or his representives is strictly prohibited and may result in legal action.
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast