Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I read Stand, or Stand uncut?

Along the Path of the Beam debungsmere is on a distinguished road

Default Should I read Stand, or Stand uncut?

I am a big DT fan, and have read several other King books. I have for some reason not read the Stand and am wanting to. With the release of the uncut book, I am confused on which version I should read?

Thanks for your opinions!

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would definitely read the Uncut version

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The Uncut. That was the book King wanted to publish before he had to cut it down, so that's the way I feel it should be read.

I have read both versions though and some things are pretty different between the two. For example, if I'm remembering correctly (I've only read the original once, as compared to reading the Uncut version many times):

Ending spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    Flagg dies in the end of the original while he just disappears in the end of the Uncut version. Right?
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Uncut! If I were to read the cut and really liked it I would wonder what I had missed out on and probably have to read the cut anyways.

Along the Path of the Beam debungsmere is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the opinions. I could see myself feeling very much like lunchbox said. Thanks!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I read the original, and couldn't put it down.
    Then when the uncut was released, I also couldn't put it down.
    Read them both!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Along the Path of the Beam lordmerchant is on a distinguished road

read the uncut, I dont know how anybody could read a cut version, knowing that there exists an uncut edition.
    Only equals speak the truth. Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web or regard.

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    The Uncut. That was the book King wanted to publish before he had to cut it down, so that's the way I feel it should be read.

I have read both versions though and some things are pretty different between the two. For example, if I'm remembering correctly (I've only read the original once, as compared to reading the Uncut version many times):

Ending spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    Flagg dies in the end of the original while he just disappears in the end of the Uncut version. Right?
    End of the Uncut version

Ah, read the uncut version!!

Along the Path of the Beam lordmerchant is on a distinguished road

@ Erin- read the uncut recently, the ending i recall is below

Only equals speak the truth. Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web or regard.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

uncut

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

uncut version

it includes the adventures of trashcan man and The Kid!
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

Uncut! It's my favorite book of all time. I've read it 3 times (once a year since I bought it. And I plan to read it once a year from now on!)
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    uncut version

Which is shocking! I seriously find King a brave author for writing some of the stuff he wrote about.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lordmerchant View Post
    read the uncut, I dont know how anybody could read a cut version, knowing that there exists an uncut edition.
    Especially with Sai King. DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Uncut. You'll learn a lot more about the characters that way.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by haunted.lunchbox View Post
    uncut version

Which is shocking! I seriously find King a brave author for writing some of the stuff he wrote about.
    Reading only selected American authors, I often wonder how puritanic American literature is, on the average, if this is shocking...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    uncut version

Reading only selected American authors, I often wonder how puritanic American literature is, on the average, if this is shocking...

I guess that depends on what you read and where you look for it and what your definition of shocking is. I am not sure if the word is used in the context of being offended and in a state of disbelief or if it is meaning that state of wow, I did not expect that at all.

I also am not sure about your question Jean. Are you asking about "American literature" in a purely academic sense? If so, I don't know how to answer your question. However, if you are wondering only about what gets published then you just have to locate a source depending on how shocked you want to be and which way you want to get there.

Personally, I though most of The Kid and Trashcan Man's storyline was raw for sure but that is to be expected of Stephen King. I think the word I would use for my reaction is surprised but not in a good way..........

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

thunderstruck ?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blavigne View Post
    uncut version

I guess that depends on what you read and where you look for it and what your definition of shocking is. I am not sure if the word is used in the context of being offended and in a state of disbelief or if it is meaning that state of wow, I did not expect that at all.

I also am not sure about your question Jean. Are you asking about "American literature" in a purely academic sense? If so, I don't know how to answer your question. However, if you are wondering only about what gets published then you just have to locate a source depending on how shocked you want to be and which way you want to get there.

Personally, I though most of The Kid and Trashcan Man's storyline was raw for sure but that is to be expected of Stephen King. I think the word I would use for my reaction is surprised but not in a good way..........
    Hoping my spoiler works, if not I'll try to fix.

Spoiler:
    It was shocking to me because I guess you could call the US a little homophobic in their literature. There aren't many gay experiences written about in mainstream books, so to have SK write about these very vulgar scenes is shocking not because it's about sex, but because it was gay sex. I've read many books that have sex scenes, and rape scenes (like with VC Andrews) but I have very rarely read any homosexual lit in mainstream books here. I wasn't angry that it was put in, but it shocked me what he wrote about.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

uncut version

Hoping my spoiler works, if not I'll try to fix.

Spoiler:
    It was shocking to me because I guess you could call the US a little homophobic in their literature. There aren't many gay experiences written about in mainstream books, so to have SK write about these very vulgar scenes is shocking not because it's about sex, but because it was gay sex. I've read many books that have sex scenes, and rape scenes (like with VC Andrews) but I have very rarely read any homosexual lit in mainstream books here. I wasn't angry that it was put in, but it shocked me what he wrote about.
    I totally agree!! And I think Alinda hit it right on the head with Thunderstruck!!

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

uncut version

I guess that depends on what you read and where you look for it and what your definition of shocking is. ...
    True, but still, insofar as it's possible to speak generally, regarding America's mainstream, the answer is "Very." At heart, we're not really that far from our Puritan foundation.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

I would read the cut version then if you liked it you will be happy there is more to read!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    I would read the cut version then if you liked it you will be happy there is more to read!
    Why would you not want to read the entire story the author intended?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    That seems like an okay question to me, but I'm not sure why someone would not want to read both versions, anyway.

I kind of like mike's suggestion, but here's another question: even reading the cut version of The Stand, who would not like it?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    That seems like an okay question to me, but I'm not sure why someone would not want to read both versions, anyway.

I kind of like mike's suggestion, but here's another question: even reading the cut version of The Stand, who would not like it?
    No I agree, you'd no doubt enjoy either version, but to me it's like reading the novel then reading the 'Cliff" notes. However, to each his own.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast