Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How To: Photograph Your Books

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default How To: Photograph Your Books

Tips on taking photos of your books:
    What Makes a Good Photograph for Submission to a Juried Show or Gallery
    by Linda Kiley, 23 Sandy Gallery

• To achieve print-ready images, your photographs must be shot with a camera that captures 8 Megapixels or higher. Any less than that and your image may not be properly editable for printed catalog reproduction.
    • Lighting is critical. Each type of lighting is interpreted differently by the camera. Natural light (overcast or sunny), incandescent or tungsten (regular light bulbs), fluorescent—all can drastically change the quality of the image by creating a “color cast” and each requires a different exposure adjustment. The white balance adjustment in the camera compensates for these lighting conditions. Using a flash is not an option as it will only illuminate a small area of the piece and will definitely looks amateurish. The photo below left was shot with regular indoor incandescent or tungsten lighting, with the flash suppressed. Tungsten lighting produces a reddish/orange cast. The image a right was shot outdoors with overcast light which produces a more accurate color representation.

• Keep it simple. A busy background, cluttered vignette, anything that competes with your artwork, is distracting and takes away from the art. Avoid shadows, reflections, wrinkles, background surprises, awkward angles, dust, dirt, etc. Speaking of backgrounds: gray or white backgrounds are best. Avoid black backgrounds. Below is a good example of why a backdrop is important.

• Depending on the piece, it may be better to photograph directly head on or from above. This helps reduce distortion and foreshortening of the object. Experiment to see what works best. The image below left is distorted and it looks like the book is falling over. Watch out for “lens distortion” as shown in the photograph below right. Many digital cameras these days create a rounded or pinched look with lines (such as the edges of a book) that should be straight. Also be sure that you don't cut off part of your book or crop your image too closely. A bit of white space around your image is a good thing.

• Quality counts! Out-of-focus photos are common even in today’s auto-focus world. Additional sharpening in photo-editing software may be required to adjust sharpness. Also, watch out for image “noise.” We used to call this “film grain” but these days it’s noise and it really detracts from your image. View your image at 100% to judge noise and focus.

A Checklist For Good Quality Photographs
    1. Does the image meet the requirements for size and resolution?
    2. Is the image shot of a grey or white background?
    3. Are the colors you see on screen neutral? Are the whites white?
    4. Is the book object straight?
    5. Is the photograph in focus?
    6. Is the image noise under control?

Equipment and tips for optimum success. Here's what you'll need to get started:
    • Digital camera that can shoot at least 8 Megapixels with a suppress flash option, white balance adjustment.
    • A large tabletop, or other flat surface. You can even use the floor. Experiment to see if your piece looks better flat, head on, or propped up.
    • White or gray backdrop; may be cloth or paper. Make sure to iron out any wrinkles. Experiment depending on the size of your piece and structure of your piece. We do not recommend a black background. It is very difficult to shoot properly at home and many galleries frown on black backgrounds as the object always seems to be floating in space.
    • Lighting is critical. Each type of lighting is interpreted differently by the camera. Natural light (overcast or sunny), incandescent or tungsten (regular light bulbs), fluorescent—all can drastically change the quality of the image by creating a “color cast” and each requires a different exposure adjustment. The white balance adjustment in the camera compensates for these lighting conditions. Using a flash is not an option as it will only illuminate a small area of the piece and will definitely looks amateurish. Often the best light is outside on an overcast day, when there is no direct sunlight to cast unwanted shadows. Get to know your camera’s white balance adjustment and use it to compensate for the lighting conditions. (See the examples in Part I of this article.)
    • A tripod is a good tool especially if you do not have a steady hand or are just starting out. Keep in mind, though, it will be harder to photograph from above with a tripod. Some work, especially larger flat pieces are better shot from above. Get as close in as you can. Sometimes because of the positioning constraints, you might have to use the telephoto option.
    • Try photographing your work at several different angles. You may overlook subtle details that will become obvious at the computer. Having to set up and retake your photos several times gets old very quickly. You’ll be looking for shadows, wrinkles, background surprises, surface details not immediately noticed, angles not quite right, dust, dirt, etc.
    • Photo editing software. Photoshop is the industry standard and if you can use it for editing, it might make things a lot easier. Photoshop Elements will work as well, and is designed more for the novice. Other software options may be able to achieve the same results.
    Editing Your Photographs on the Computer

First and foremost: find out the size and resolution requirements for the show or gallery submission. Some venues require only web-ready images, which are much lower resolution than print-ready images. If a juried show will be producing a print catalog, as is very common these days, they may require “hi-res” or print-ready photographs. Web-ready images will generally be 72 dpi or ppi (dots per inch or pixels per inch, which are used interchangeably). Print-ready photographs will need to be 300 ppi. Always check these requirements before you start shooting. Here are the basic steps for editing your photographs:
    • Save your original and edit a copy of your photograph. You may not like the changes you have made and want to go back to the original.
    • Crop your photo to show as much of the piece as possible, leaving enough background to give your book some room to breathe. Avoid too much background as it is irrelevant to the work, and distracting. You may need to rotate your photograph to best accommodate your vertical or horizontal book shape.
    • Make sure the book is straight in the image frame and that the perspective is correct. Fix any unusual angles or lens distortions.
    • Explore the color correction features of your software program. You can try “Auto” correction options and see how it looks. If this doesn’t seem quite right, go through the steps to correct color cast, brightness, saturation, etc. until the image most closely resembles the actual book.
    • Size images exactly as requested. How many inches should your image be? What should your resolution be? For images that will go to print, the resolution will need to be 300 ppi or dpi; for the web, 72. When keeping the size the same, but changing the resolution, uncheck “resample”. When changing the size, but want to keep the resolution the same, check “resample”.
    • For a good article on how to resize or change image resolution, go to this link. Also, when editing for size and resolution, be sure to keep “restrain proportions” checked when offered as an option.
    • Sharpen the photo. Almost all digital images benefit from some sharpening in your photo editing software. But, don’t try to sharpen an image that is out of focus. Reshoot that one.
    • Always remember, for the best final product, it’s best to start off with the best quality image right out of the camera and make as few edits as possible. Too much editing will make your image look grainy or blurry. Even though Photoshop is magical, you are always one extra edit away from losing image quality.
    • In Photoshop, when you save or close the file, the “JPEG Options” screen will pop up. Save your image at “maximum” quality and check “baseline (standard).”
    • When naming your file, be sure to use some identifying information, like your last name. If you are submitting to a juried show the organizers will probably have a required naming convention. Be sure to use it. Here at 23 Sandy we always need your images to be named as, “yourlastname-1-a.jpg” etc. Follow the show requirements exactly, otherwise you images might get lost.
    • Send off you entry!
    A Checklist For Good Quality Photographs
    1. Does the image meet the requirements for size and resolution?
    2. Is the image shot of a grey or white background?
    3. Are the colors you see on screen neutral? Are the whites white?
    4. Is the book object straight?
    5. Is the photograph in focus?
    6. Is the image noise under control?

Now you’re off! Good luck and we hope to see a few great photos of your work sometime soon!
    Giottos Giottios Photo Light Tent Reflector Large (24x24x24 inches) ST130

Amazon $59.95

Do it yourself light tent
    Last edited by Randall Flagg; 01-11-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome! Thanks for all the information.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Couple of test photos using a light box:

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Those are extraordinary pictures, Jerome! So I've been experimenting. I was having trouble with the size at first, they all came across HUGE. Apparently, despite my reducing the size in PhotoShop, photobucket.com was translating them back to here in full size, regardless. So I seemed to have fixed that by using a Flickr account, but of course that has limited uploads on the free account. I then started my own album here and after saving from my PhotoShop fixes, I've uploaded them here. Now I've noticed one last thing. Despite the fact I've sharpened my pictures and made them quite clear, they still (once uploaded here) look a tad blurry. See my collecting thread for examples. I flip back and forth between the three (my original, PS and here) and the difference is quite noticeable.

I see your data for the above photo, Jerome, is linked back to a Gallery, mine are all identified as attachments - presumably from my album. Could that be the issue? What is the difference between a Gallery and an Album? How does one create one versus the other? Sorry for all my newb questions, I'm just hoping to have my photos turn out nicer!

Any advice, from anyone, is always appreciated!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you are using your album, you are limited to the number and size of photos. I think the limit is 25 or 40. The Gallery has a higher limit on number and resolution of photos. If you plan on being around a while, let me know and I'll set you up with a gallery account.

Country
    Country Flag

Sure, I would love one that if that is okay. I think I've found a new home for my obsession and since I joined have been checking back every day. All the people here are so friendly, and the conversations so interesting, I can easily see sticking around long term. If you guys will have me that is, despite the giant ass I made of myself on the CD thread early in my days here.

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you! I'm having fun playing with it already.

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Nice photos Jerome. I always thought the photos in your collection thread were super nice. Is that light box linked above the one you use?

I've been wanting to make a collection thread for some time but the photos I took are awful. I recently got a nice camera and that helped, but the lighting sucks and using the flash isn't much better (and sometimes worse when photographing a book with a Brodart cover).

A ready-made kit would be awesome. I'm glad I did a search for this. The one you linked isn't available anymore. Do you use a different one and what did you pay for it?
    Thanks.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes that is the one I bought and use. Sorry to see it no longer available. There are other options out there. Just do a search.
    Here is am alternative:http://www.amazon.com/Interfit-INT29...p_ob_p_title_4

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is the kit that I just bought - haven't had a chance to play around with it yet - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Julius-Studi...ht_4760wt_1396

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    This is the kit that I just bought - haven't had a chance to play around with it yet - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Julius-Studi...ht_4760wt_1396
    That looks like a nice set.

Does the bulb matter? Halogen, Fluorescent, etc.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    That looks like a nice set.

Does the bulb matter? Halogen, Fluorescent, etc.

Mulleins
    I'm not really sure. I bought it because it came with everything including the lamps. Maybe Jerome can answer that since he has more experience with this.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The lights that come with the kit are a nice "white" color. They are not incandescent (yellow) bulbs.
    BTw, even with the light box, one has to be careful to avoid glare.

Country
    Country Flag

I was messing around with the kit a little this morning, and I see what you mean about the glare. You have to find the right place to place the lamps on the sides of the box to illuminate the box properly. Looks like there will be a learning curve.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Eric, I always thought your pics were awesome even without a lightbox. Looking forward to seeing the results of your experiments!

Country
    Country Flag

OK, so here is a test I just shot. I set up the photo studio box in my kitchen, which is not the ideal place to shoot pics. The kit comes with red, white, blue, and black backgrounds. I went with blue. This is what I came up with:

Here is a pic of how it looks (Sorry for the glare coming in from the window). You see the lamps on either side, which I turned off after I took the pic. I think it works pretty well, but it is a lot of work for me. I like just snapping pics in my office like I always have.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Have the same light box kit. Works well !!!

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

OK, so here is a test I just shot. I set up the photo studio box in my kitchen, which is not the ideal place to shoot pics. The kit comes with red, white, blue, and black backgrounds. I went with blue. This is what I came up with:

Here is a pic of how it looks (Sorry for the glare coming in from the window). You see the lamps on either side, which I turned off after I took the pic. I think it works pretty well, but it is a lot of work for me. I like just snapping pics in my office like I always have.

Wow, that looks great! I'm definitely getting one of these now.

Thanks for the reply Jerome.

Adam

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Taking a break from Unveiling stuff. First time I'm checking this thread out. I like it a lot. Crow-Man, did you write up the "How-To" in the first post? Very well-written and informative!

I like the picture of the lightbox in use, Eric. But you're right, it does seem like a big set-up. Maybe if there was a designated area in your home/office just for taking pictures of books/items? That way, there would be no set-up/tear-down.

My camera sucks so bad. If I just take one shot, 99% of the time it is blurry. I now have it on "multi-shot", where I just hold down the button and it snaps a lot of pictures one right after another, hopefully after five or six pictures I get one good one. I need a new camera.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Taking a break from Unveiling stuff. First time I'm checking this thread out. I like it a lot. Crow-Man, did you write up the "How-To" in the first post? Very well-written and informative!

I like the picture of the lightbox in use, Eric. But you're right, it does seem like a big set-up. Maybe if there was a designated area in your home/office just for taking pictures of books/items? That way, there would be no set-up/tear-down.

My camera sucks so bad. If I just take one shot, 99% of the time it is blurry. I now have it on "multi-shot", where I just hold down the button and it snaps a lot of pictures one right after another, hopefully after five or six pictures I get one good one. I need a new camera.
    I wish I could keep the box set up somewhere permanent. No doubt I'd find it filled with my son's LEGO's...

IMHO, the key to avoiding blurry pictures with any camera is to use a tripod. No matter how slow your shutter speed is, a tripod will keep the camera still. If you just have a regular point and shoot camera and your room is well-lit, you can just increase the shutter speed or look for the "Sports" setting.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    First time I'm checking this thread out. I like it a lot. Crow-Man, did you write up the "How-To" in the first post? Very well-written and informative!
    No. I did not write it, but I did look around quite a bit to find one that was informative, but not too technical.
    I went back and added the credit for the quote I used.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, good job anyway! It was very well received.

+ Reply to Thread