Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the better series?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doctor Who

16 53.33%
  • The Jetsons

14 46.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BTVSAT - Round 1: 1960s (Bracket 7)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Holy crap, it's now closer than ever!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

In case this ends in a tie (can't believe that's so possible) I guess I better go on record as having voted Dr. Who.

I am reminded once again that people (especially my fellow Americans) seem to tend to values with which I don't agree in assessing entertainment.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I'm just wondering, for the people who voted for The Jetsons: why do you think it's the better show? Don't worry, i'm not gonna rant and rave about why Doctor Who's more awesome, I'm just interested in how it's so close.
    I don't know why, but I have a feeling that those who voted for the Jetsons have probably not seen Doctor Who.....or if they have, they haven't seen much, or the best of the episodes.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    In case this ends in a tie (can't believe that's so possible) I guess I better go on record as having voted Dr. Who.
    Neither can I, path. I honestly can't believe it's gotten this close. Recently, my 2nd favourite show was also beaten in a tie, but I didn't feel too bad about that considering that (a) I thought hardly anyone on this board had watched Life on Mars at all, apart from us Brits of course, and (b) it was up against Arrested Development, a show that's had heaps of praise on it (and from the episodes I've seen, with good reason), so it didn't feel too bad. But I am shocked quite a few people on this board seem to think that the Jetsons is a better show compared to Who. Now, before anyone says anything, I wouldn't be so shocked if this weren't bound by decades rules and it was up against such high quality shows like Madmen, Deadwood or the Sopranos. I wouldn't even be shocked if it had gone up against other huge, tv changing 60s shows like The Prisoner (one i've yet to see but is something of a tv legend), or Star Trek. But it's hard to believe that a show like the Jetsons is providing such strong competition.

And thanks for the stated vote, btw. I'm not sure if it would be needed in the case of a tie, though: so far, no one's actually stated they've voted for The Jetsons, so in a tie Who should easily win this one. If the Jetsons gets so many votes that stated votes won't even count...too horrible to think about, really.

Oh, and just in case: I voted for Doctor Who, btw! (Didn't technically state it myself, so just thought I'd mention that!)
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I should state my vote, then, too!

Doctor Who for me, please

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    Well, I should state my vote, then, too!

Doctor Who for me, please

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

So...which one is you, and which one is me?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

So...which one is you, and which one is me?
    Well, I've got Scottish genes (even though I can't do a good Scottish accent to save my life), so I guess that makes me Craig and you Matt. Also, i'm more likely to randomly pull the kind of face that Craig pulls!

Btw, on a point you made earlier:

I'm just wondering, for the people who voted for The Jetsons: why do you think it's the better show? Don't worry, i'm not gonna rant and rave about why Doctor Who's more awesome, I'm just interested in how it's so close.
    I don't know why, but I have a feeling that those who voted for the Jetsons have probably not seen Doctor Who.....or if they have, they haven't seen much, or the best of the episodes.
    Hmmm, you may have a point there. Still, I'm shocked that after all this time, more people haven't at least checked out this awesome show yet. On the plus side, at least Doctor Who's still aheaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

A tie?! A BLOOMING TIE?!? HAVE THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED JETSONS EVER WATCHED WHO?!?

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Wow, I can't believe it's a tie! I really hope Doctor Who makes it beyond the first round.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

And still no comment.

My theory, aside from lack of exposure, is that many people want simplicity in their TV. Also, I suspect that there's an element of pure spite at work here.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm sure nostalgia plays into it too. I grew up on The Jetsons, so it'll always be somewhat special to me.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, to prove once and for all which is better, ladies and gentlemen, I give you, The Eleventh Hour!

And I don't even consider this the best episode ever, I just think it's amazingly good!

- Melike

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

::Adds Doctor Who to the list of series to watch::

I've seen The Jetsons (well, some of it, anyway - was not interested), but now am quite curious by the apparent cultish-ness of Dr.Who.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'd definitely recommend checking it out, Rain. It's certainly one of the most popular and iconic shows in the UK, but even outside of it it's got a few hardcore followings here and there, and in my opinion that's with very good reason.

And The Eleventh Hour is an excellent episode to begin with. I recommend checking it out tonight! (If for no reason other than to bring the voting situation back to a tie before the poll closes tomorrow, admittedly! )

- Melike

Oh no, so during all this talk of Doctor Who someone voted for The Jetsons

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

DD, I can't see the link you've posted! (Not sure it was a link - I only see blank space.)
    I'll see it I can find it elsewhere (tonight )

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'm sure nostalgia plays into it too. I grew up on The Jetsons, so it'll always be somewhat special to me.
    Well, let's face it; the show is very American.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    DD, I can't see the link you've posted! (Not sure it was a link - I only see blank space.)
    Darnit! There was supposed to be a video there. I can see it on mine, at least, but perhaps it only plays in the UK.

Still, here's the link to the original site, just in case: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcy...h-h_shortfilms

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Darnit! There was supposed to be a video there. I can see it on mine, at least, but perhaps it only plays in the UK.

Still, here's the link to the original site, just in case: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcy...h-h_shortfilms
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, still nothing - just a black rectangle and no movie. I'll see if I can find some local Russian website or something - I'm now determined to overcome this ridiculous situation.
    (Gee, I wonder why we in Russia are so neglected - this is not the first time a clip/movie will not play for me.)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jawdrop. Jetsons ahead. For a good feel of Dr. Who see the cool vid I posted in the first post.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Jawdrop. Jetsons ahead. For a good feel of Dr. Who see the cool vid I posted in the first post.
    Thank you, pablo - I watched it. I also trawled Youtube for more clips, to get a better idea.
    So now I'm going to bring the vote back to the tie again.

My vote is... for Dr. Who

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Thank you, pablo - I watched it. I also trawled Youtube for more clips, to get a better idea.
    So now I'm going to bring the vote back to the tie again.

My vote is... for Dr. Who
    Thankee, sai!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank God for at least this tie! I saw this right before I packed my laptop to drive back to my dorm room...and I was panicked about it the whole way home! Now, we just need to maintain this tie...*fingers crossed*

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Come on peoples!!! its dr who for goodness sake the longest running sci fi IN THE WORlD - no mean feat in this day and age

Who cant love a time lord in a TARDIS traveling through time?

vrs? The jetsons, flintstones set in the future????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast