Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DT Comics : Which character is depicted best or worst?

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought Alain was spot on. Cuthbert kind of grew on me over time. I *really* hate the "whiskers" Lee insists on drawing on Roland, though.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Susan was pretty close too though
    It is simply incredible to me. Are you serious?

Roland would have understood.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I thought Cort was well done. Honestly, I wasn't very pleased with any of the other depictions. Jonas was actually quite good on second thought. I especially thought that Gilead looked pitiful. Nothing how I pictured it.
    i too thought Cort matched my expectations well, as did Jonas. gilead i thought looked pretty cool actually from what we saw of it. i would like to see much much more of it.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

King said in that interview with NPR that he loved how Rhea looked in the comics
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

i like comic Rhea. she's not what i expected, but i think she is def "witch-like" and certainly disgusting [which is a key trait of Rhea]

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Big Coffin hunters looked the best to me, pretty much spot on to how I imagined. Minor Long Road Home Spoiler
    Spoiler:
    When I first saw Jonas in the grapefruit scene however, I thought he looked rather feminine, rather like Rhea, (appart from the nose. Ironically with the nose he looke more like how I imagine Rhea compared to how she looks inthe comics.)

As for the others, Alain looked something like how I imagined. Cuthbert I saw rather different but I think it works, as do many of the others I saw different.

I think Sheemie just looks wrong though. For one thing, he looks a good deal younger in the comics to how I imagined. I'm pretty sure he's at least a couple of years older than Roland and co.
    Spoiler:
    Seeing the expressions on his face in the Long Road Home though did rectify this somewhat.

As for Roland himself, I thought the boyhood portrayal of him was pretty spot on, but the adult version in the first comic had none of the weathered 'blasted' look of his book equivalent. It's an awesome splash page though, but his face looks like that of a generic super-hero.

Marten looked pretty much how I imagined Marten. It's mentioned in the books that this persona rarely smiled, but I agree that it would have been nice to see that dark humour and grin when he was in Walter mode.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Rhea is up there with Sheemie in my least favorite depiction. I'm getting used to Sheemie.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Along the Path of the Beam UnderTheKillingMoon is on a distinguished road UnderTheKillingMoon's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland's father, Susan, and Cort were all what I had imagined. I think they could've made Rhea a lot creepier

John F. Kennedy Archangel(tjk) is on a distinguished road Archangel(tjk)'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would have to say that I don't like the way Alain works he often looks a lot like the village idiot, I did l like Steven though

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yup...Steven was depicted better than anyone, imo. Marten looked pretty good too. I don't like how the CK looks in the comic though...well at least in the human form.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Cort is a little too bulky for my taste.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I thought Susan looked a little whorish. Honestly, I haven't been pleased with any of the depictions.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I thought Susan looked a little whorish. Honestly, I haven't been pleased with any of the depictions.
    For real? Not even Steven Deschain?
    He was spot on for me. What do you think they could have done different with him to make it better?

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Yeah, he's nothing like I pictured him either.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I *really* hate the "whiskers" Lee insists on drawing on Roland, though.
    I hate them, too.

Alain was farthest off for me. Cuthbert was spot-on, as was Steven Deschain. Susan isn't a bad depiction, I don't think, but I did picture her as having a sweet face as opposed to down-right supermodel hot.

Sheemie has taken some time to warm up to but as for the rest, I wasn't terribly disappointed.

Eldred was probably my favorite depiction.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Traveler The_Gunslinger is on a distinguished road The_Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Most of the characters seemed spot on for me. I would have liked to have seen the Crimson King is his human form though... =\ John Farson looked absolutely awesome. And Walter looked amazing too. I read my hardcopy constantly.

I agree with Matt on page 1 though. Susan's hair was way blonder than I predicted. I always saw it a deeper shade.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, I think they missed the boat on Susan. She should have been much more "plain cowgirl" than "blond bombshell".

Roland didn't love her for her body and looks alone

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The_Gunslinger View Post
    Most of the characters seemed spot on for me. I would have liked to have seen the Crimson King is his human form though... =
    Spoiler:
    You might be nicely surprised in the Long Road Home. Well maybe not... his human form doesn't look all that human... but it is certainly curious.

Along the Path of the Beam Babymordred121 is on a distinguished road Babymordred121's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm still pretty pissed off at how they've portrayed Walter so far. I mean, in the books he pretty much IS Heath Ledger's Joker. In the books he's just some old dude that makes pithy plays on words here and there. I LOVED the way he looked as far as his actual design looked, with the nearly bald scalp and the white skin, but he needs to be grinning and cackling and completely deranged at all times. It was completely essential to his character.

While Crimson King looks nothing like his character in the books, I'm inclined to think that his comic incarnation is far superior. You know; he actually looks threatening.

I also LOVED Clay Reynolds. I don't know why. He just looked awesome.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think we had a long conversation about Walter and I tried to come to grips with the somber portrayal of him. Because in the books, a person really gets the impression that he is a big grinner.

But after folks analyzed the passages it seemed like there was an interpretation issue on how much the man actually was that way.

So I'm still on the fence but I don't think that the format they are going with lends itself to big smiles.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Yeah, he's nothing like I pictured him either.
    +1 more.

I'm not saying that I don't like Lee's interpretation of Cort, it's just that it's nothing like what I had in mind.

Along the Path of the Beam Babymordred121 is on a distinguished road Babymordred121's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It just annoys me that the only feature of Walter even remotely described in the books is that he grins. A lot. Like a psychopath. And that his defining feature in the comics is that he doesn't grin. Ever. Because the comic writers seem to think Walter would be more entertaining if he were as completely sane and as dead serious as every single other super villain we've ever seen before.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

None of them look like I thought they would...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Babymordred121 View Post
    It just annoys me that the only feature of Walter even remotely described in the books is that he grins. A lot. Like a psychopath. And that his defining feature in the comics is that he doesn't grin. Ever. Because the comic writers seem to think Walter would be more entertaining if he were as completely sane and as dead serious as every single other super villain we've ever seen before.
    I wish they drew him smiling more as well...though, I think they overall appearance of Walter in the comics is good. He looks good but the "feel" isn't what it should be, partly due to the lack of smiling.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    He looks good but the "feel" isn't what it should be, partly due to the lack of smiling.
    One of my biggest complaints also.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast