Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Official Illustrations Dealio

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Official Illustrations Dealio

I've been thinking about how to handle this and I believe that the various Illustrations for King books should have a separate sub forum that is wikified and can be cross referenced.

We will divide by book as we did in the other and then subdivide by author so either can be searched effectively.

Also--we can put links on the books in our current King catalog that will take a person to the illustrations for that book. Why are we doing this?

-some images are the same even though the collectible book is different

-some illustrations are so long and complex-adding them to the current book article would make it too long

-people should be allowed to view just illustrations for the books without viewing the actual book and it would be hard to find what you were looking for if we only put them in one book (because they are the same across many), people wouldn't know where they were.

-We can break it up by Artist (which is the part I really like)

So here is what I need if anyone would like to help.
    • The images of course, we have a lot of those already
    • A way to distinguish them from one another--seems like artist is the best way to go in this case
    • Standard text for each entry that tells about it
    • Posting
    I can create the sub forum for this and call it "The King Illustrations Catalog" and put it right under the current one.

I hate to do a whole bunch of work in a direction that we are not going so I wanted to put this out here for suggestions.

Obviously the illustration "articles" (threads) will also contain a link back to the books they appear in. Lot of work but I think its the best way to go.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

That works fine with me
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

This sounds great, Matt, and addresses my concerns on the subject.

Feel free to move (or cut-and-paste the content from) my illustration posts in the Discussion threads in the King Catalog for WIZARD AND GLASS and SONG OF SUSANNAH into their new proper places. Or once I understand the new set-up, I can do it if you haven't already.

"...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Do we need some template, similar to the book catalogue?

Artist:
    Book: (I.E. Eyes of the Dragon Signed Limited)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I would love that Jerome. I am going to set up the forum and all we need to do is have a thread per illustration.

Then we can wikifi it

We also need to make sure these entries include a link the the collectible book they are from in the catalog.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Do we need some template, similar to the book catalogue?

Artist:
    Book: (I.E. Eyes of the Dragon Signed Limited)
    I agree that we should.

Also to the extent that we are using photolinks directly to an artist's website, I think the right thing to do would be to acknowledge that site. If linked to a member's personal collection of scans/photos, then we should acknowledge that member instead.

For example:

Artist: Darryl Anderson
    Book: Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah
    Editions: Limited; Artist; Trade Hardcover
    Images courtesy of: http://www.braid.com/darktower/

Artist: Rick Berry
    Book: The Talisman
    Editions: Gift (slipcased with Black House)

Artist: Rick Berry
    Book: Black House
    Editions: Gift (slipcased with The Talisman)
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that's a great idea, I want to give credit where it is due for sure.

Where would the actual link back to the catalog go in that format?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think that's a great idea, I want to give credit where it is due for sure.

Where would the actual link back to the catalog go in that format?
    I think we would state those four lines of information, with the link right there in the third line in the book title. Then the images would follow.

Would that work, WikiMaster?
    Last edited by Patrick; 10-10-2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Originally I misunderstood Matt's question. My response is now corrected.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is what I'm thinking in terms of what an entry might look like. If it is not of interest, we could delete that middle paragraph (the one in quotation marks). As always, please share your thoughts.

Editions: Song of Susannah-Slipcased. 1/1,400 numbered; Artist; Trade Hardcover

Stanzas (Chapter Illustrations) by Darrel Anderson from SONG OF SUSANNAH

Darrel Anderson's illustrations for The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah, are available in very limited editions.

"These prints are pulled using our archival Roland Digital printer . Unlike mass reproductions, these are unique works of art, finely tuned by the artists. In the case of Darrel's work (primarily digital), there are no physical originals. While they may differ slightly from the book images, this direct control of the print medium by the artists produces the best possible representations of their vision. Prints are created on 100% rag, acid free paper with archival pigment inks. All prints include generous paper borders, depending on image size."

All prints are signed and numbered by the artist. The edition for each print is limited to 30 plus 5 artist's proofs.

[image of Stanza 1]

[image of Stanza 2]

[image of Stanza 3]

[etc.]

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

So under "images courtesy of" ?

What I am hoping for is a wiki link that will show the entry for the book on the pop up. Like this.

[AUTOLINK]'Salem's Lot-Gift Edition[/AUTOLINK]

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    So under "images courtesy of" ?

What I am hoping for is a wiki link that will show the entry for the book on the pop up. Like this.

[AUTOLINK]'Salem's Lot-Gift Edition[/AUTOLINK]
    Just realized I mis-read your earlier post. I agree the wiki links should be the book titles in the "Editions:" entry.

In my "Images courtesy of:" examples above, braid.com is Rick Berry and Darryl Anderson's actual website. If it were, for example, Jerome's own scans from copies of his books, we would link to his personal profile like the King Catalog does now.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

So if I supplied the images it would read:

Editions: Limited; Artist; Trade Hardcover
    Images courtesy of: Randall Flagg

Stanzas (Chapter Illustrations) by Darrel Anderson from SONG OF SUSANNAH

Darrel Anderson's illustrations for The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah, are available in very limited editions.

"These prints are pulled using our archival Roland Digital printer . Unlike mass reproductions, these are unique works of art, finely tuned by the artists. In the case of Darrel's work (primarily digital), there are no physical originals. While they may differ slightly from the book images, this direct control of the print medium by the artists produces the best possible representations of their vision. Prints are created on 100% rag, acid free paper with archival pigment inks. All prints include generous paper borders, depending on image size."

All prints are signed and numbered by the artist. The edition for each print is limited to 30 plus 5 artist's proofs.

[image of Stanza 1]

[image of Stanza 2]

[image of Stanza 3]

[etc.]

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, got it.

That works great for me. To get that link we just have to surround the book text with [*autolink]book title[*/autolink] without the asterisks.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Love it you guys, I say we roll with it.

I am going to add the forum now.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

You want it linked to the actual book in the Catalog?
    Clarify-unless you just highlight the title and use the hyperlink button with the right URL

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    You want it linked to the actual book in the Catalog? ...
    I think that's it.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, that is what I would like. We need to use the autolink code so it knows what it is looking for.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

So it would look something like this if Jerome scanned in the photos from his actual book.

Editions: Song of Susannah-Slipcased. 1/1,400 numbered; Artist [also with link to that book in Catalog]; Trade Hardcover [also with link to that book in Catalog]

blah blah blah

[image of Stanza 1 from RF's photobucket account]

[image of Stanza 2 from RF's photobucket account]

[image of Stanza 3 from RF's photobucket account]

[etc.][/QUOTE]

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

So it would look something like this if Jerome scanned in the photos from his actual book.

Editions: Song of Susannah-Slipcased. 1/1,400 numbered; [AUTOLINK]Song of Susannah-Gift edition[/AUTOLINK]; [AUTOLINK]Song of Susannah-Trade Hardback First Edition[/AUTOLINK]

blah blah blah

[etc.][/QUOTE]

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That would be fine but as opposed to the URL for the books. We simply need to put the title inbetween these BBCODES

[*autolink]Book Title[*/autolink]

Its actually much easier and it will force the wiki's to talk to each other.

The forum is there now. All we have to do is start a thread for each set of illustrations by book.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

See above. It didn't work for me.
    Last edited by Patrick; 10-10-2007 at 02:50 PM. Reason: posted at same time as Matt

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Editions: Song of Susannah-Slipcased. 1/1,400 numbered; [*autolink]Song of Susannah-Gift edition[*/autolink]; Trade Hardcover [also with link to that book in Catalog]

blah blah blah

[etc.]
    [/quote]

That's great, just no asterisks in the autolink

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    See above. It didn't work for me.
    No asterisks

ah, you got it.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

D'oh! I just figured that out before I saw your post.

It works now!

My post above now shows the two different links: URL vs. autolink

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

This sure seems to be coming together.

I would like to clarify that we want these autolinks in the entry for "Editions", as the "Book Title" will be the same for most editions.

Also there may be multiple illustration entries for a "Book Title" as different editions may have different pictures.

For example, the original S/L edition of The Talisman has artwork from many artists while the more recent Gift Slipcased edition has more recent artwork all of which is from Rick Berry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast