Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the better series?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy Days

18 66.67%
  • Taxi

9 33.33%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BTVSAT - Round 1: 1970s (Bracket 3)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default BTVSAT - Round 1: 1970s (Bracket 3)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

never seen...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    never seen...
    Happy Days is tons of fun, which is what I voted for. Taxi wasn't too shabby either, but HD is classic.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I want me some tons of fun

::makes mental note::

Country
    Country Flag

Plus how can you not enjoy that theme song?

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

THE FONZ

NUFF SAID

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Happy Days!

yet another show I grew up on, watching Nick@Nite with my dad

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Fonz alone is reason enough to vote for Happy Days.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Taxi has been a long-time favorite of mine.

John

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Happy Days was America longing for the days before the 60s. That 70s Show succeeded once we got to longing for the days after the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Happy Days is tons of fun...
    I want me some tons of fun

::makes mental note::
    I dunnno... you said you didn't care for America Graffiti. They lightened the tone, (further) and conventialized it for this show. Brain candy. Fonzie was supposed to be a minor character, but he was played to the hilt by Winkler and became a pop phenomenon.

Taxi is more textured and adult, although it too is still just a sitcom, usually requiring some skill at suspending disbelief. They had a number of good actors, though.

Country
    Country Flag

Path, I love your historical comments

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I dunnno... you said you didn't care for America Graffiti.
    as you said,

My standards for TV are much lower than for other media.
    I am not sure I can wholeheartedly second this, because I hardly have any real experience with TV; but I am sure my standards for TV are different than those for films

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Darn this is tough.
    Went with Happy Days.
    I think it's better, plus - it's the reason we have the phrase "Jumped The Shark" ... plus again, Pinky Tuscadaro.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

This was a tough choice.
    I always enjoyed Taxi. Such wonderful oddball characters!
    But, the Fonz was plastered on my walls, and Happy Days was a dear part of my childhood--on one of the three channels we could get, not on Nick at Nite!
    Gotta go with the Cunnighams, et al; and Happy Days.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    ...it's the reason we have the phrase "Jumped The Shark" ...
    But... but... that's not a good thing. Can you justify voting for a show by its dumbness having become proverbial?

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    ...it's the reason we have the phrase "Jumped The Shark" ...
    But... but... that's not a good thing. Can you justify voting for a show by its dumbness having become proverbial?
    You make a good point, but all in all - Happy Days was a great and fun show. It might have gone on a little long, but for more seasons than not - it was good. And iconic - Fonz!

It only "jumped the shark" towards the end ... and thus coining that phrase, actually helped us as a society! ( heee, I'm kidding ).

And, Taxi - that went on too long, too. So, I looked at both and went with Happy Days.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

re: Taxi going on too long -- Rev. Jim was in no way as iconic as the Fonz, but still a great character in his own way.

I concede that Happy Days was a good show, but I did vote the other way. Oh, well.

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, man, Rev Jim was the best thing about Taxi !!!! I agree there!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

After Latka, he was... although Danny DeVito still deserved his applause.

My Mood
    Gay

Devito was a great foil, for sure. I thought Latka was rediculous, then and now. He's part of the reason I so easily took Happy Days.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

...I thought Latka was rediculous, then and now. He's part of the reason I so easily took Happy Days.
    Which, I repeat, was also ridiculous now and then.

Country
    Country Flag

Is it sad that I'm watching that HD clip over and over for the song?

Country
    Country Flag

Happy Days is moving on to Round 2, having received 18 votes (66.67%).

+ Reply to Thread