Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Signings and Appearances-Tips and experiences

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys are going to have a blast. Wish I could make the coast-to-coast roundtrip to join you.

At least I got to go see Stephen King once, way back when, with Jerome. The books were presigned Lisey's Story, but we managed to get two each. Each of our extra copies are in the possession of other TDT collectors.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    BIG question is....what book do you get signed? TOUGH choice here
    Not for me. that'd be my 1st Edition of The Drawing of the Three, my favorite book ever, which I had Phil Hale sign at Palavercon. It MIGHT be a tough choice if I didn't own the S/L of DTVII and already have my favorite author/artist combo of King and Whelan on the same page.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

A trick I last used was to put a small magazine inside the book you want him to sign. He is nice enough to sign them both.

I put a Startling Mystery Stories (Glass Floor) magazine inside Lisey's Story and he signed them both and we also had a good conversation about the 'early story'.

I noticed today that someone is selling a signed Startling Mystery Stories (Glass Floor) magazine on ebay. They want $2000 for it!!!!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to take just one of my books--not sure which yet. We're going to find another one of Tabitha King's books to take so she can sign that one for us.

Then I'll buy her new one and Duma Key there of course. I figure SK can sign my Duma Key for Dora and my other book for me. <hopes>
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm going to take just one of my books--not sure which yet. We're going to find another one of Tabitha King's books to take so she can sign that one for us.

Then I'll buy her new one and Duma Key there of course. I figure SK can sign my Duma Key for Dora and my other book for me. <hopes>

If I wasn't team leader I would be right there with you guys.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It would be great to meet you man. Team leaders can't go?

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I would take my 1st/1st Gunslinger, no doubt.

Sigh.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Don't show up with 15 books you want signed.
    Don't stare at him from the line.
    Best of all, show up with a stack of books, and ask to shake his hand instead.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Tough call on what to bring to be signed.

It would definitely be a GRANT Dark Tower book....but which one?

DT2 and DT3 were my favorites in the series......on the other hand, how cool would it be to have a double signed artist edition of DT5 or DT6 or DT7?

I had a chance to buy a signed DT2 about six months ago and at the last second changed my mind (shortly after Wiz bought it). It was at a great price, and I am kicking myself now!

I am VERY envious of you guys that are going to The Three Kings event. Like Patrick, I got to see King in 2006 on the Lisey's Story tour, but the books had been pre-signed so I never got the chance to get another book signed.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ATG View Post
    ... Best of all, show up with a stack of books, and ask to shake his hand instead.
    Better yet, have him sign your arm instead.

Then go the nearest tattoo parlor and make that signature permanent.
    Bonus points if you get him to write an inscription.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm just going to try not to trip.

On the second book to sign (besides Duma Key), I am torn between my AE of DTVIII and my UK first of The Stand.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ATG View Post
    ... Best of all, show up with a stack of books, and ask to shake his hand instead.
    Better yet, have him sign your arm instead.

Then go the nearest tattoo parlor and make that signature permanent.
    Bonus points if you get him to write an inscription.
    But how do you sell THAT on eBay??

John

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm just going to try not to trip.

On the second book to sign (besides Duma Key), I am torn between my AE of DTVIII and my UK first of The Stand.
    Why Duma Key at all? Yes, it will be sort of uncommon signed, but it will be much more exciting to have an older book signed. You should buy an older first edition like the US Stand or the Shining.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't have anything signed at all. Forget your book(s).
    That way my insane jealousy will feel better.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Don't have anything signed at all. Forget your book(s).
    That way my insane jealousy will feel better.

I would love to see him in person.
    His head looks like his brain is so large it is about to burst.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I am going to take my Gunslinger 1st that I took to Palavercon and had Michael Whelan sign

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by oy-the-brave View Post
    I am going to take my Gunslinger 1st that I took to Palavercon and had Michael Whelan sign

Gunslinger Apprentice super sam is on a distinguished road super sam's Avatar

Me and my sister went to the Liseys book signing at Borders in London.
    She is not a kingfan, so i could take "two" books with me to get signed.
    I brought the Swedish ed. of Gunslinger and my 1st/1st gunslinger.
    But we did not get them signed, we just got signed bookplates instead.( and Liseys of course)
    I´m sure that he would have signed my gunslinger book if i had asked him,
    but the "cat had got my tounge" so i was speechless and just put my books on the table in front of him.
    That is my biggest regret.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by oy-the-brave View Post

Dave? Dave? Does that mean you're coming to DC? Woo-hoo, we get to meet again! I so enjoyed our talk at Palavercon.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's one for you....How about instead of bringing my oldest son, I ask Michael Whelan to come with me. Not that he would have an interest, mind you, but wouldn't that blow people away.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

lol!
    And Steve also would be surprised!

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Wiz....I am REALLY beginning to not like you anymore! What about taking ME?!?!?!?!??!?!?! (and Michael)
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Michael Whelan...<swoon>

I was thinking Duma Key because isn't it a good idea to buy one of the books they are selling at the signing to have signed?

Or is that not necessary.

US First Edition of The Stand would go for sure if I had one.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by super sam View Post
    Me and my sister went to the Liseys book signing at Borders in London.
    She is not a kingfan, so i could take "two" books with me to get signed.
    I brought the Swedish ed. of Gunslinger and my 1st/1st gunslinger.
    But we did not get them signed, we just got signed bookplates instead.( and Liseys of course)
    I´m sure that he would have signed my gunslinger book if i had asked him,
    but the "cat had got my tounge" so i was speechless and just put my books on the table in front of him.
    That is my biggest regret.
    That daft woman told me they had none of those bookplates left, even though I was like no3 in line.

Still it didn't matter as I got all of the books I took with me signed, at Borders King signed both my Dead Zone Eastern Press (already signed by artist and introduction writer) and my US Lisey's, my brother also had a Lisey's UK signed which was for me as he is hardly a King fan so was only there to keep me company and take photos lol.

King looked at my Easton Press book quizically so I told him why I needed him to sign it lol and he just goes Aah I see signed my two books and shook my hand. My brother was behind me and I later asked him if he said anything to King, no he replies I was too tongue-tied lol

I ended up with 3 or 4 signed Lisey's UK that day as I also went to the reading on the evening, managed to get US Cell signed there too . I'm no big fan of Lisey's so i've since managed to trade my UK Lisey's for signed King books that are personal favourites.

My only slight regret is that I did not have the funds to buy a truly special book to take such as a Gunslinger first or even Carrie 1st.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's a few photos of the signing.

From left - my brother, me, Jana (czech girl from sk.com board who I arranged to meet in London) and Super Sam!.

Hey you guys! those are my books lol

The Polish guy on the right has claimed some victims

Tired?

My Easton Press 2nd Edition Signed Up

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast