Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 154 of 158 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,850 of 3936

Thread: Book Signings and Appearances-Tips and experiences

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    Dont know if its been mentioned yet but looks like king will be doing a signing in sarasota at bookstore1 on march 15. Will only be signing END OF WATCH though.
    Didn't hear that. What would EOW be now... 4th printing? Why won't he allow signing of his old books I wonder.... last time was Toronto right all? How long ago was that?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Dont know if its been mentioned yet but looks like king will be doing a signing in sarasota at bookstore1 on march 15. Will only be signing END OF WATCH though.
    Didn't hear that. What would EOW be now... 4th printing? Why won't he allow signing of his old books I wonder.... last time was Toronto right all? How long ago was that?
    Toronto was 2013.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    Toronto was 2013.
    Thanks Bri. I wish I was able to have gone. Hour and a bit plane ride.... would have been heaven for me.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The rules of what is signed are not King's rules. King doesn't really care much which of his books he signs.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    The rules of what is signed are not King's rules. King doesn't really care much which of his books he signs.
    Exactly though Brian. He is Stephen King and IF he didn't care... well he would sign whatever... but he does care. WHat benefit does it serve him to sign books that he released 30 years ago? none
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Exactly though Brian. He is Stephen King and IF he didn't care... well he would sign whatever... but he does care. WHat benefit does it serve him to sign books that he released 30 years ago? none

I always found that annoying. The Barnes and Noble in Manhattan does a lot of high profile signings and I've never really figured out who makes those rules since they vary from author to author and not really publisher to publisher.

I get that they are trying to push the newest book and really want to make it a #1 best seller in the first week (not really the problem for King), but people do want their old copies signed.

I'll never forget as long as I live... I went to a Maya Angelou signing once. I had one new book and one old book. The rule was you had to have at least ONE copy of the new book and then she didn't care what else she signed. BUT.... she INSISTED on personalizing. So she had to write "Dear Billy, Joy! Maya Angelou."

So, I had no problem with that but the guy in front of me sure did. So he's bitching to me about how she's going to sign for him with no names. We get to this guy, and he's borderline argumentative with her assistant who's prepping the books for her to sign. She says "Who am I making this book out to?" The guy replies, "It would be nice if you just signed it."

She stopped, closed the book and says, "Why? So you can sell it?" and reached for my books. She didn't sign any of his.

Counter that to someone like Toni Morrison who, a few years ago, signed about 10 books of mine without the slightest complaint. All while in her 80s, in a wheelchair, and hundreds of people behind me.

I've been to maybe 5-6 King signings. At every one of them he's been incredibly gracious, funny, personable, and kind.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Adam West is the same way about personalizing what he signs. I attended a convention where he was present. He seemed incredibly unhappy to be there, charged way too much and, as I said, refused to flatsign anything so I didn't even bother getting his autograph that day.

I don't really get that. Why do they care if we sell what we get signed or not?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Adam West is the same way about personalizing what he signs. I attended a convention where he was present. He seemed incredibly unhappy to be there, charged way too much and, as I said, refused to flatsign anything so I didn't even bother getting his autograph that day.

I don't really get that. Why do they care if we sell what we get signed or not?
    There was a great story Stu Tinker told our group when we were there about King HATING seeing things he signed go right up for sale. Just hates it. People don't like being used... whether they are famous or not. I can understand that. I say now that I wouldnt care but if it was some guy just going to go and sell it for a buck.. and I knew/thought that... I just wouldnt sign it at all I don't think...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Why do they care if we sell what we get signed or not?
    Sounds like they see making a fan's day as worth their time, but not making someone's income. Their time is limited; I can see why they'd feel this way.

Maya Angelou and Toni Morrison sound pretty cool.
    Eastasia has always provided Drag Queen Story Hour to young children.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...King HATING seeing things he signed go right up for sale...
    I think King would enjoy the thing I want him to do because it's basically unresellable: I want him to write "Boo!" (perhaps in purple ink) inside my water-inflated The Stand paperback. No signature, nothing else, nothing tying it to him - but I would know he did it and it would mean something to me.

(Of course, if I could have everything I wanted, I'd love for him to regular-sign some other things and maybe do one of his little balloon drawings in It; I won't pretend I don't like signatures (of which I have...none)).
    Eastasia has always provided Drag Queen Story Hour to young children.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    ...King HATING seeing things he signed go right up for sale...
    I think King would enjoy the thing I want him to do because it's basically unresellable: I want him to write "Boo!" (perhaps in purple ink) inside my water-inflated The Stand paperback. No signature, nothing else, nothing tying it to him - but I would know he did it and it would mean something to me.

(Of course, if I could have everything I wanted, I'd love for him to regular-sign some other things and maybe do one of his little balloon drawings in It; I won't pretend I don't like signatures (of which I have...none)).
    The balloon doodles he does are sure bad ass eh?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Agreed! He is always very gracious about signing books. any books. He still makes money selling his latest book and then can sign one book of our choice. He did that in Toronto, Sarasota and Savannah. Book being promoted was bought. my choice of book signed. one or the other in Savannah. Toronto was a free for all! Bought Dr. Sleep and he signed anything. Win Win for both of us. and he still made $$.

My End of Watch was 7th printing in DC a few months ago.

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here is the link if anyone is interested LINK
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info I wonder if anyone will go? Might be a chance to "cash him ouside" no? lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Joe Hill's signings are very animated and a really good sport (for now). For those who have gone to his events, you know what I mean.

For The Fireman, he had the group of us learn a song, come up to participate, etc. He also signs just about anything with his name on it.

There was a woman in front of me who asked him to sign the inscription page of THE SHINING (which was dedicated to him) and he did decline to do that, but was super super nice about it.

I can't think of any authors that haven't been really nice. There was this one event I went where Tatum O'Neill was signing books and she asked me to step out of the way so the media could take her photo. I thought that was pretty trashy but... whatever.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Malcolm McDowell was very fun to get an autograph from just because he seemed so happy to be there and willing to partake in conversation etc. The Autograph wasn't even for me but for a fellow member here but still, I was very thankful to have met him. Gary Busey was a funny autograph. I asked him if he would please sign my copy of Cycle of the Werewolf and he screamed back "HUH? SORRY I CAN"T HEAR YOU!! YOU HAVE TO SPEAK UP" Then he signed it and put a great big heart above his name. Very strange experience. Bill Mosley gave me a cookie.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I will try to take the 2 hr. trip up to check this out today or this weekend.
    The store just moved locations and I feel this is a promotion to bring customers to new shop.

As for catching King prior to signing event, last time he passed on signing before and on way into event.
    I have had no luck this season although have been in Sarasota dozens of times the past couple months even while visiting places I am told are his haunts.
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring
    will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot -

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    I think I will try to take the 2 hr. trip up to check this out today or this weekend.
    The store just moved locations and I feel this is a promotion to bring customers to new shop.

As for catching King prior to signing event, last time he passed on signing before and on way into event.
    I have had no luck this season although have been in Sarasota dozens of times the past couple months even while visiting places I am told are his haunts.

Just meet Dolores and I for lunch. We might have a chance...

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

FYI: The End Of Watch copies I picked up are 1st printings 1st Editions
    They likely had this arranged months ago and stocked up.
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring
    will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot -

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    FYI: The End Of Watch copies I picked up are 1st Editions
    They likely had this arranged months ago and stocked up.
    Nice!

"Christine" at the Mad Monster Party ...

Mad Monster Party 2017

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

"Christine" at the Mad Monster Party ...

Mad Monster Party 2017
    Pretty cool cast of characters there too!

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info I wonder if anyone will go? Might be a chance to "cash him ouside" no? lol
    I believe the words YOU are trying to spell are CATCH & OUTSIDE?....See we ALL make mistakes (At least I don't run a print shop.)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    I think the words YOU are trying to spell are CATCH & OUTSIDE....See we ALL make mistakes (At least I don't run a print shop.)
    Omg. You really are an old fool. Good try. Maybe you should look around and educate yourself on what the meaning of what I said is. Google Dr Phil and what I said. Oh, and thanks for coming out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

https://youtu.be/jkmOnEFCyI0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 154 of 158 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 ... LastLast